PDA

View Full Version : Success Microsort with IUI

esmith
June 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I swayed pink in Jan and have just had my 3rd DS confirmed. I'm doing ok but the thought that I may never experiencing the mother daughter relationship ( I have 4 brother, no sisters, 3 nephews.....) feels very real now.

DH has been wonderful and says we can have another in a couple of yrs but I have to be realistic - I'm going to be 3mths shy of 36 when this little man arrives and he will be my 3rd c-section so one more is about the limit. With all of this in mind I've made the decision that we're not going to have any more kids without going down the high tech route.

Not sure I'm up for IVF or PGD mainly because of cost and the fact I REALLY don't want twins (no offence mums of multiples but I just think it would be too much for me to cope with). As I seem to be quite fertile and have fallen pregnant 5 times with my husband on the first attempt, which includes 1 termination when we started our relationship and one miscarriage due to strep throat in pg, I'm thinking IUI might be a feasable option.

Has anyone been successful with MicroSort and IUI on these boards? I'm in the Uk and have seen there's a place in North Cyprus that will soon offer MS with IUI???

Thanks in advance
E

nuthinbutpink
June 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM
You don't have to have twins. You can just put one embryo back to virtually eliminate that risk and IUI with multiple follicles might be riskier if multiples is your main concern.

You have time but IVF is harder over 35 and very hard approaching 40. IUI was a 10% chance at working with MS anyway and no guarantee of gender. I would never recommend it to someone in their late 30's.

Good luck with number 3!

Cultured Pearl
June 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hi E. We've had kind of similar experiences it sounds like. I always always always wanted daughters and was a little disappointed when I found out I was having a boy with DS1 six years ago. So I researched swaying and swayed pink but it didn't work, and DS2 was born three and a half years ago. Then I did MS/IUI twice two years ago. The advertised odds of getting pregnant are something like 12-15% if you use fertility drugs, which we did (Clomid then injectables), but since I was 26 at the time they said I'd have better odds than most. Obviously it didn't matter, because I didn't get pregnant. I never had trouble getting pregnant before, but you have to remember that pretty much everyone who does MS/IUI is quite fertile on their own. Anyway, then I swayed again doing almost everything you can do to sway, and I got pregnant right away with a chemical pregnancy, then got pregnant again right after that while still swaying and had DS3 seven months ago. Now I'm planning on doing PGD/IVF later this year. Like you I've had three c-sections. If I didn't I'd probably try naturally again at least two or three more times, but because I don't want to take the risks of that many c-sections, PGD/IVF it is.

In retrospect, I feel like a chump for doing MS/IUI. If you're trying for a girl with MS/IUI, the odds of actually getting pregnant are nearly the same as the odds of having a boy if you actually conceive with it! In other discussion groups, of the women who report using it, it seems like barely anyone gets pregnant, and of the very few who do, the odds almost seem like fifty fifty for gender, which sucks! Does it work for some women? Yes. But the vast majority end up wasting time and money and coming away empty handed like I did. If your only objection to IVF is the possibility of twins, then I would say IVF all the way. Like NBP said, you can do a single embryo transfer and then you'd be almost guaranteed to not have twins, but even with putting back two it's way more likely that you'd still just have one baby. Put it this way - would you rather have twin daughters or no daughter at all?

Anyway, good luck, and congrats on your third son! I'm so glad to have my third little guy, he's definitely the best baby yet, and three is like a little team of buddies!

nuthinbutpink
June 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hi E. We've had kind of similar experiences it sounds like. I always always always wanted daughters and was a little disappointed when I found out I was having a boy with DS1 six years ago. So I researched swaying and swayed pink but it didn't work, and DS2 was born three and a half years ago. Then I did MS/IUI twice two years ago. The advertised odds of getting pregnant are something like 12-15% if you use fertility drugs, which we did (Clomid then injectables), but since I was 26 at the time they said I'd have better odds than most. Obviously it didn't matter, because I didn't get pregnant. I never had trouble getting pregnant before, but you have to remember that pretty much everyone who does MS/IUI is quite fertile on their own. Anyway, then I swayed again doing almost everything you can do to sway, and I got pregnant right away with a chemical pregnancy, then got pregnant again right after that while still swaying and had DS3 seven months ago. Now I'm planning on doing PGD/IVF later this year. Like you I've had three c-sections. If I didn't I'd probably try naturally again at least two or three more times, but because I don't want to take the risks of that many c-sections, PGD/IVF it is.

In retrospect, I feel like a chump for doing MS/IUI. If you're trying for a girl with MS/IUI, the odds of actually getting pregnant are nearly the same as the odds of having a boy if you actually conceive with it! In other discussion groups, of the women who report using it, it seems like barely anyone gets pregnant, and of the very few who do, the odds almost seem like fifty fifty for gender, which sucks! Does it work for some women? Yes. But the vast majority end up wasting time and money and coming away empty handed like I did. If your only objection to IVF is the possibility of twins, then I would say IVF all the way. Like NBP said, you can do a single embryo transfer and then you'd be almost guaranteed to not have twins, but even with putting back two it's way more likely that you'd still just have one baby. Put it this way - would you rather have twin daughters or no daughter at all?

Anyway, good luck, and congrats on your third son! I'm so glad to have my third little guy, he's definitely the best baby yet, and three is like a little team of buddies!

Excellent commentary. Also, the pregnancy rate they publish is just that- a pregnancy rate(includes chemicals, early losses, etc). So, the live birth rate would be even lower than that. I have never seen that rate published.

esmith
June 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks so much for your really helpful and sweet posts. Contacted the clinic in Cyprus and they sent some great stats and documents about the procedures. Like you they recommended ivf ms or pgd and implanting only one embryo, which they felt was more sensible with my age and medical history. I'm really feeling the strain carrying my 3rd after the last 2 c-sections and I think twins would finish me off. All food for thought and now I know the options I feel I can chill out and enjoy this pregnancy. I would love to hear how your pgd goes CP and will check in. Thanks so much E:)

debby
September 9th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I know that there are less chances than with IVF

Loveychoc
February 20th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I am a 29 yo mum with an 18 month old DS and was wondering about the success to get a girl through MS with IUI too as DH would really love to have a baby girl. Considering that I have not passed 35 years of age and still at the age where I can still conceive naturally, I am not that keen to jump on the conclusion that I need to opt for IVF (the word IVF sounds really heavy to me... it's something that I have ever thought of doing). What is the risk of doing MS/IUI and the chance of getting a girl (don't mind twins either, better than no daughter at all) ?

If you do PGD (which is claimed to be holding higher sucecss rate?), does that mean you are only doing it with IVF? The drawback of doing IVF for me is the costs, we're just not prepared to spend tens of thousands of dollars yet,as we still need steady finance support to raise DS.

nuthinbutpink
February 20th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Microsort is no longer an option in the US. Mexico has it but I don't know if they do IUI. Pregnancy rate averaged around 12-15% depending on age so not great odds and no gender guarantee.

PGD is only available with IVF. It is performed on a cell(or cells) removed from and embryo after fertilization.

jils04
February 21st, 2012, 01:55 AM
Unfortunately most of us that have done ivf/pgd were all one hit wonders when trying naturally. Natural fertility has no real bearing on ivf/pgd except it shows the docs that an egg comes out every month and can result in a baby ( cos you already have some), so it shows your system works. But trying for a boy or girl is a completely different kettle of fish !
If you are 36, then def ivf/pgd is the best way.
HTH !

lisvna
February 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM
Microsort is available at the North Cyprus ivf clinic in north Cyprus. Unfortunately I never heard who got pregnant over there......dr Savvas Koundorous of the Genesis clinic in South Cyprus has a good reputation. He offers spermsort (not Microsort but his own method). I know a few girls who came back pregnant, 1 girl delivered her baby girl a few days days ago. I'm going for the second time to dr Savvas. I hope this is the one for me!

nuthinbutpink
February 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM
Microsort is available at the North Cyprus ivf clinic in north Cyprus. Unfortunately I never heard who got pregnant over there......dr Savvas Koundorous of the Genesis clinic in South Cyprus has a good reputation. He offers spermsort (not Microsort but his own method). I know a few girls who came back pregnant, 1 girl delivered her baby girl a few days days ago. I'm going for the second time to dr Savvas. I hope this is the one for me!

I would not cycle at North Cyprus. The receptionist comes on here pretending to be a patient and posts.

glory
February 22nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
Just wanted to jump in and say that I have heard the North Cyprus isn't that good, you may want to look around a bit before deciding, especially if it is a new technique for them, there are always teething problems.

lisvna
February 22nd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Really does she?!?!?! What a shame.....well I knew it was not a good clinic when I heard all these stories and Im happy I didn't went to north Cyprus!!!!