PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and easily angered a boy symptom?

otisismycat
March 16th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I had read an article earlier that mothers who were expecting boys were more likely to have anxiety or be more easily angered during their pregnancy than mothers who were carrying girls. I'm going to see if I can find the article to post here because I am horrible at explaining things but it had to do with the amount of testosterone in the mother. Was this true for any of you? With my first son I was very anxious about everything although I wasn't very easily angered. I worried about everything always, haha.

atomic sagebrush
March 16th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I need to read the article to be able to say for sure. Women's personality has been proven to not be affected by testosterone and I'm not sure that the amount the fetus makes is enough.

I can say that it is NOT true in early pregnancy because baby boys do not even make testosterone at that point. And also that no one should use this as a prediction for gender of your bab because it isn't reliable.

WantingPink
March 16th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I am always anxious when pg however with my dd I was easily angered. I rarely yell at my kids and i felt like I was screaming at them all the time. With my boys I was very calm and not angry at all. I was probably even more mellow. With this baby haven't noticed much but I did snap at my 7 yo last night. I can feel my patients leaving my body again... We will see if this baby is a boy or a girl.

otisismycat
March 16th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I found the article! Kind of interesting because I have read a few articles similar to this although never any that mentioned anxiety or anger as a symptom.

Baby boys and baby girls affect mothers' hormones differently - Everybody - Health Information for New Zealanders (http://www.everybody.co.nz/page-706aa1d0-a368-4e82-b55b-318dcd60dc69.aspx)

atomic sagebrush
March 16th, 2014, 11:16 AM
That article is inaccurate and misleading. Grant's theory is that maternal testosterone makes you more likely to conceive a boy to start with and has nothing to do with the testosterone that your baby makes in the womb.

Please no one put any stock into this, whoever wrote it misunderstood the article they read. You can read the actual study here, it's a PDF: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epjournal.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fep06147160.pdf&ei=lL8lU8TkMtL5oATF-oLQAw&usg=AFQjCNEk9_WwNAhTfDqzSXdo6mPsqjUkzQ&bvm=bv.62922401,d.cGU

otisismycat
March 16th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Ah okay. I didn't think this was the place to post actual facts stuff anyway. I thought it was an old wives tale and symptom guessing spot. I don't actually believe in old wives tales but sometimes they are fun while I'm waiting to find out what I'm having, haha. Thanks for posting the actual study! It should be an interesting read.

atomic sagebrush
March 16th, 2014, 11:48 AM
No, I think this was a great place to post it because I know that there's a lot of people who do believe in this idea in an OWT way. :)