PDA

View Full Version : Study: Vegetarians Less Healthy, Lower Quality Of Life Than Meat-Eaters

nuthinbutpink
April 2nd, 2014, 09:45 PM
ATLANTA (CBS ATLANTA) – Vegetarians may have a lower BMI and drink alcohol sparingly, but vegetarian diets are tied to generally poorer health, poorer quality of life and a higher need for health care than their meat-eating counterparts.

A new study from the Medical University of Graz in Austria finds that vegetarians are more physically active, drink less alcohol and smoke less tobacco than those who consume meat in their diets. Vegetarians also have a higher socioeconomic status and a lower body mass index. But the vegetarian diet — characterized by a low consumption of saturated fats and cholesterol that includes increased intake of fruits, vegetables and whole-grain products — carries elevated risks of cancer, allergies and mental health disorders.

Vegetarians were twice as likely to have allergies, a 50 percent increase in heart attacks and a 50 percent increase in incidences of cancer.

The cross-sectional study from Austrian Health Interview Survey data and published in PLos One examined participants dietary habits, demographic characteristics and general lifestyle differences.

The most significant dietary habit difference between meat-eaters and vegetarians concerned their BMI and alcohol consumption – with both being higher for those who consume meat.

Many past studies have instead put an emphasis on the health risks associated with red meat and carnivorous diets, but this study points the other dietary direction. However, the researchers do caution that continuing studies will be needed to substantiate some of the rather broad dietary distinctions, associations presented in this current research.

Overall, vegetarians were found to be in a poorer state of health compared to other dietary groups. Vegetarians reported higher levels of impairment from disorders, chronic diseases, and “suffer significantly more often from anxiety/depression.”

Subjects who consumed lower amounts of animal fat were also linked to poor health care practices, such as avoidance of vaccinations and a lack of preventive care.

Chronic problems associated with vegetarians and people eating carnivorous diets rich in fruits and vegetables were linked to more frequent visits to doctors, which the study authors suggest requires public health programs to reduce the health risk due to their nutritional factors.

The researchers conclude: “Our study has shown that Austrian adults who consume a vegetarian diet are less healthy (in terms of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), have a lower quality of life, and also require more medical treatment.”

“Therefore, a continued strong public health program for Austria is required in order to reduce the health risk due to nutritional factors.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes that healthy diets rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of cancer and other chronic diseases for all dietary groups. A 2009 study from the CDC found that about 1 in 200 young Americans, or 367,000 US children, are vegetarians.

coocoobananas
April 2nd, 2014, 10:00 PM
So this pertains to Austria only. I just don't believe this is true everywhere and kinda seems generalized to all seeing the title... Which it's not. I hardly ever comment on stuff like that because I am horrible at debating but this just erks me a bit being a vegetarian of course;)
I wonder how long ago this survey was conducted? For sure when I originally became a vegetarian (or a pasta-Tarian) I could see this but people are so much more health driven especially when vegetarian in my experience:)

WantingPink
April 2nd, 2014, 10:21 PM
I think the "educated" vegetarians who eat for health are probably very healthy. There are some I know though who are vegetarian and it is more like junketarian. They think nothing of eating doughnuts, starbucks everyday, sugar like it is a food group, but don't dare touch a chicken.

nuthinbutpink
April 2nd, 2014, 10:39 PM
I'm sure it does depend on what kind of food one eats but it is a fact that vegetarians have more girls may mean the group eats a lesser-quality diet overall- maybe less overall protein since that is what you get from meat(amongst other vitamins) follows what we say about natural gender selection.

maidentomother
April 7th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I wonder how many of the vegetarians studied were vegans, and/or consumed lots of highly processed soy foods? Also, most vegetarians have carb-heavy diets which can be quite unhealthy - but not directly due to being vegetarian. Basically, this study isn't specific enough to show clear correlations but doubtless the media will assume otherwise.

atomic sagebrush
April 7th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I was just mentioning this in another thread so sorry to repeat, but we live down the road from a 7th Day Adventist school and they actually have a side business where they sell soy-based protein substitutes and they have tons of girls.

WillowsGirl
April 8th, 2014, 10:04 PM
So not vaccinating is a poor health choice hm? This irks me too and I am not even a vegetarian (when not on LE diet).

maidentomother
April 9th, 2014, 02:23 AM
I had the same thought Willow! I'm not even strictly anti-vax, I just think SOME have toxic ingredients I don't want in myself or my child.

atomic sagebrush
April 9th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Interesting observation and I hope that we can all just agree to find it curious without anyone debating either pro or con! :hugs:

WillowsGirl
April 9th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Of course! I have no issue with anyone choosing to vax or not, but I do feel a little put off when someone says my choice is a poor health choice. But anyway I'm moving on. :)

nuthinbutpink
April 9th, 2014, 07:13 PM
So not vaccinating is a poor health choice hm? This irks me too and I am not even a vegetarian (when not on LE diet).

It's a poor health choice if your child gets measles and dies, yes. Mine won't because they've been vaccinated as have they been for all other known diseases for which we have vaccines so we don't die from preventable diseases.

Vaccines work. It's a scientific fact. The only reason people that don't vaccinate can say it's not necessary is because of the millions of people around you that did get vaccinated and thus aren't spreading diseases around that you or your child could catch. At least not if you live in non third world countries. If you aren't vaccinated you couldn't even travel to a non- developed nation. It wouldn't be safe.

There's no scientific proof that vaccines do anything than protect. If you don't vaccinate, that's your choice but it's because of people like me that do that keeps you healthy.

I guess it is based on what you define a poor health choice as.

WillowsGirl
April 9th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way.

nuthinbutpink
April 9th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I think you have to look at the reasons that you choose not to vaccinate. If Jenny McCarthy is anywhere in that answer or the original MMR scare that has since been completely disproven and the doctor lost his license over, then what?

Why would you not vaccinate to prevent polio, measles, type B meningitis, whooping cough, tetnas, and mumps? These can all either kill you or cause irreversible damage.

The argument I always hear is that there is no real threat or the odds of anyone catching these are so low, it is not necessary to vaccinate! The only reason that is true is because of all of the millions that are vaccinated that make these almost a non-issue.

EXCEPT in the last few years, all of these have been on the rise! Why? Because people stopped vaccinating.

atomic sagebrush
April 9th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Just my 2c but this is a super heated issue and I have yet to see it mentioned where it didn't evolve into a lot of hurt feelings on both sides of the aisle and no one convinced any differently than they were. I"m just not sure that anyone will come out a debate on the issue feeling happy about it and I really hope we can just manage to let it lie here.

nuthinbutpink
April 9th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Agreed. I'll get off the soapbox now! Not appropriate and we are all adults and can make decisions for ourselves.