PDA

View Full Version : 1

Juniebjones
June 23rd, 2011, 05:52 PM

lindi
June 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hm, I find it interesting that it changes as people get older.

Amelie
June 24th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Thank you America, over here in Germany it the exact opposite and growing social pressure to have only girls, no boys! Terrible, I hate it here!

atomic sagebrush
June 26th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Hmmm...interesting!

dramabird
June 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
This poll astonished me. In general, any preference for boys over girls is certainly not what I've experienced. Among my peers, I've found that ones who have a boy first want a girl next, and those who have a girl first want a second girl. Facebook "friends" with girls can't stop talking about them (I had one who every single time referred to her young daughter as, I kid you not, "Princess Susannah Babycakes"). Conversely, it seems like the FB folks with boys seldom reference them at all. :(

A few weeks ago, I was at Target and saw a small pink bib with this delightful sentiment embroidered on the front: "Girls are just better." Can you imagine anyone having the audacity to put "Boys are just better" on a piece of clothing? That would be considered sexist, but the other way is supposed to be just fun and quirky.

This is a tough culture to have gender disappointment/gender desire in.

rainbowflower
June 29th, 2011, 05:04 PM
interesting... all my friends are hoping for a girl too

agree with above that the clothes stores DEFINITELY have more girls clothes than boys clothes too and more variety too, but maybe that's just because girls clothes sell better because girls can wear dresses as well as trousers and t-shirts so parents will buy lots of both.

purplepoet20
June 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
If I was a mom of two girls I would be here for a boy. I raised my lil bro for the first 3 years of his life and I dreamt of having all boys and maybe 1 girl.

I was very excited that DS1 was a boy and I loved to find the little shirts that say cute boy things on them but other people always gave us things that said "Mommy's Lil Monster", "Mommy's Lil Stinker" or crazy things like that. I hate them because I like the ones that say Mommy's #1 man, Mommy's Sweety, or something cute. Boys clothing say all kinds of manly thinks but mommy is the one that dresses the kids so why can't they say something sweet. I try to find plain things because I don't want them to look back on a picture and see these untrue sayings. I found one sleeper at a yard sell once that said "Mommy's Lil Prince" and it is my favorite. I did find some cute bibs.

I am not fond of some of the girls clothing either... super short shorts and skirts that show off the diaper like the baby is going to be wearing a thong and showing it off. I don't need the weirdos looking at my babies/toddler/preteens butt. I like to wear tight clothing and stuff but I am an adult and who cares if men look at me but I would attack if someone looked at my young child that way. And why do all the lil girl clothing say princess why can't they say monster on them too.

My brother and his wife post all kinds of pictures of their 2 G's and very few of their son... honestly the boy is cuter. Every so often I see him in a pic at his sisters dance, gymnastic, swimming, or birthdays. Their kids are G 5 1/2, B 4, and G 2 1/2. I never see pic s of the boy swimming, playing sports, birthdays, or even just playing he is always watching the girls doing something... makes me concerned!

swish
June 29th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Jjc, I completely agree with you, I think it's a real generation thing, definately here in the uk, in my experience, girls are strongly favoured and considered much easier, better behaved, sleep better, better companions etc. It's really sad.

dramabird
June 29th, 2011, 06:26 PM
My favorite recent purchase for DS2 was a blue onesie that had a picture of a chocolate muffin with sprinkles and said "Stud Muffin." I thought it was adorable and a great way to get a boy take on the cutesy cupcake thing. I like that so much than things like "Boy: A noise covered in dirt" or something else that, while kind of funny, was really just insult-wrapped-in-a-joke.

Over on InGender, I once grumped about the old "sugar and spice" vs. "snips and snails" rhymes:

So, as the mom of two sweet little boys, I've decided I'm kind of offended at the declaration that they are supposedly made of "snips/snakes and snails and puppy dog tails." If you think of it, it's kind of gross. And why do little girls get to corner the market on "sugar and spice and everything nice"? My sons love snickerdoodle cookies just as much as anyone in a dress!

Both phrases are stereotypes, but the girls get the positive side and the boys negative. Not fair! Would it be okay if I were to promote the phrase "Pouts and tears and kitten ears ... that's what little girls are made of"? Nope.

Or would it be acceptable if I went the other way and offered an complimentary and exclusive one for Team Blue: "Brawn and brains and financial gains ... that's what little boys are made of"? Certainly not.

Bearing in mind, I would love a little girl, so none of that is a slam against girls ... it's a slam against the fashion and marketing industries. Oh, and I was so mad around Father's Day time ... at Walgreens, they had EIGHTEEN "From Daughter to Daddy" choices in the card section and ZERO "From Son to Daddy" (and it's not that they were out of stock -- they had no spaces for them at all). Explain that, Gallup poll!

purplepoet20
June 29th, 2011, 06:48 PM
One thing I hate about girls is the whining it drives me nuts. I have even smacked my sister in the back of the head (she was13) bacause she started whining when our dad said she had to stay home for the evening because family was over for dinner (me, hubby and DS1)... That girly whine is killer and I understand a toddler doing but I hate when teens or adults do it.

Boys are easier as teens because all you really have to worry about is them being stupid and getting hurt. Girls are so hormonal and very few parents try to raise a girl right.... If my boys dated a girl who whined a lot I would ground them until they are 18.

purplepoet20
June 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM
My favorite recent purchase for DS2 was a blue onesie that had a picture of a chocolate muffin with sprinkles and said "Stud Muffin." I thought it was adorable and a great way to get a boy take on the cutesy cupcake thing. I like that so much than things like "Boy: A noise covered in dirt" or something else that, while kind of funny, was really just insult-wrapped-in-a-joke.

Over on InGender, I once grumped about the old "sugar and spice" vs. "snips and snails" rhymes:

So, as the mom of two sweet little boys, I've decided I'm kind of offended at the declaration that they are supposedly made of "snips/snakes and snails and puppy dog tails." If you think of it, it's kind of gross. And why do little girls get to corner the market on "sugar and spice and everything nice"? My sons love snickerdoodle cookies just as much as anyone in a dress!

Both phrases are stereotypes, but the girls get the positive side and the boys negative. Not fair! Would it be okay if I were to promote the phrase "Pouts and tears and kitten ears ... that's what little girls are made of"? Nope.

Or would it be acceptable if I went the other way and offered an complimentary and exclusive one for Team Blue: "Brawn and brains and financial gains ... that's what little boys are made of"? Certainly not.

Bearing in mind, I would love a little girl, so none of that is a slam against girls ... it's a slam against the fashion and marketing industries. Oh, and I was so mad around Father's Day time ... at Walgreens, they had EIGHTEEN "From Daughter to Daddy" choices in the card section and ZERO "From Son to Daddy" (and it's not that they were out of stock -- they had no spaces for them at all). Explain that, Gallup poll!

I was lucky to find 2 card for the grandpas and 1 for daddy... very lucky that the one for dada was a CARS one because the boys love that movie. And it is sad that the fathers day gifts suck because they always put out the cheap shirts and fishing stuff. But mothers day is all about diamonds, gold hearts, and pricy girly things. Hubby got a new BBQ for Fathers Day.

Myloves
June 29th, 2011, 09:17 PM
One thing I hate about girls is the whining it drives me nuts. I have even smacked my sister in the back of the head (she was13) bacause she started whining when our dad said she had to stay home for the evening because family was over for dinner (me, hubby and DS1)... That girly whine is killer and I understand a toddler doing but I hate when teens or adults do it.

Boys are easier as teens because all you really have to worry about is them being stupid and getting hurt.

Lol, if only I had sons that don't whine! After rasing my first son for nearly 8 years, I disagree that 'boys whine less.' He is biggest whinger of all my kids! Seriously, there are days where he is Drama King Supreme. Seriously, he can rival a girl with PMS and even win. My own daughter is still a baby, so I can't really say mcuh about her, but I can tell you this; she was alot easier as a baby than either of my sons were. I don't think that whining is exlusively for girls or boys (my second son is a pretty easy/sweet kid). I think it's all to do with personality.

But I do agree with you comment on this: 'and very few parents try to raise a girl right' - you are right on this! Alot of girls are spoiled rotten and it's really sad to see. :(

And to the original poster - I see nothing shocking about this really. I grew up in a community where pretty much EVERYONE wanted (and still wants) sons.

Myloves
June 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM

:( I wish that people would just get rid of these annoying stereotypes for both and girls! And I wish the fashion industry would make more nicer clothes for boys. The shops I shop at have very few nice clothes (that I like) for my boys and it makes me quite frustrated.