PDA

View Full Version : PICSI

kayos
April 14th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Hi Carole,

During our last IVF cycle, the sample used had a count of 3 mil/ml, motility 27%, progression 1-2/4 and 98% abnormal forms. We got 14 eggs, 6 fertllised using ICSI and only 2 embryos were left and available for transfer on day 3. 1x8 cell grade A and 1x6 cell grade B.

Does a poor SA often lead to poor fertilisation rates, and do you think PICSI helps to overcome this? Do you see a significant difference in fertilisation rates and embryo quality when PICSI is used?

Thank you

Carole
April 15th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Hi Carole,

During our last IVF cycle, the sample used had a count of 3 mil/ml, motility 27%, progression 1-2/4 and 98% abnormal forms. We got 14 eggs, 6 fertllised using ICSI and only 2 embryos were left and available for transfer on day 3. 1x8 cell grade A and 1x6 cell grade B.

Does a poor SA often lead to poor fertilisation rates, and do you think PICSI helps to overcome this? Do you see a significant difference in fertilisation rates and embryo quality when PICSI is used?

Thank you

Hi there,

The high abnormally-shaped forms is probably the main culprit in poor fertilization and poor embryo development that you describe. PICSI is useful to pick the most mature IVF ready sperm and some research suggests it can be helpful--but only if you have a lot of sperm to choose from. If the lab is struggling to find normal shaped sperm visually, then PICSI may not be that beneficial. I would still feel hopeful about your transfer of day 3 -8cell and 6 cell embryos. Good Luck!!! Carole

Luvmyboys
April 16th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Carole, do you find PICSI is helpful with a normal semen analysis? We had 100% fertilization with ICSI, but had a Hugh number of sperm chromosome abnormalities on the sperm side. Does PICSI aide in selecting sperm that are euploid?

kayos
April 16th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Hi Carole,

Thanks so much for your response, our IVF worked, those 2 embryos are running round my living room right now :-)

I'm just wondering how we might improve things for our upcoming cycle, my husband has been following a much healthier lifestyle and an SA yesterday came back at 34 mil/ml, up from 3mil/ml, motility 13 % grade a (rapid), 13% grade b (sluggish), 5% non progressive and 69% immotile. Morphology is now 4% normal and 1% borderline. So it seems that the count at least has improved. Would this improvement make it easier for the lab to pick out the better sperm?

Many Thanks, Kay