PDA

View Full Version : Myomectomy or Pregnancy w/ huge fibroid??

MIka1104
April 23rd, 2014, 09:07 AM
I had a very devastating miscarriage 2 weeks ago after 5 months of ttc. During my exam, they found a huge fibroid at the top of my uterus (the size of a big grapefruit). My dr. told me that she recommends I have a myomectomy. I've been trying to do research on the procedure over the last few days. I still don't know what I want to do. I was told that if I got the surgery, I would be able to ttc 4-5 months later (which sounds like forever). I've also read from others that the procedure could cause scarring in the uterus, which could make ttc difficult. I am also concerned about getting pregnant with fibroids. I wouldn't know what to expect, but I hear that it can be a painful experience.

Has anyone ever experienced a pregnancy with fibroids or can someone here share their experience of having surgery to remove fibroids? I am currently in the 2ww (I ovulated 3 days ago, which is 2 weeks after my miscarriage) but if I'm not pregnant, I am considering the myomectomy. Any advice is appreciated!

nuthinbutpink
April 23rd, 2014, 09:12 AM
Fibroids, especially one of that size, can cause recurrent miscarriages. I am surprised after having one that you would TTC without having it removed.

Did they warn you that the fibroid likely caused it and can again?

In HT, we do a uterine exam specifically to look for fibroids before we cycle so they can be removed if found. They can cause infertility and loss.

I'd have it out because the fear of scarring probably poses much less risk than getting pregnant with something that size already in your belly.

MIka1104
April 23rd, 2014, 09:27 AM
I thought that the fibroid could have been the reason for my miscarriage but the Dr. said that she couldn't say for sure. She also did not mention that I am at risk for another one. I definitely don't want to go through that again. I am leaning towards doing the surgery. I am just worried...

Thanks for your response, nuthinbutpink.

nuthinbutpink
April 23rd, 2014, 09:30 AM
Just google it. I'm shocked your doctor didn't talk with you about this. Yes, they can cause a loss. I'm sorry. I would maybe get a second opinion. Grapefruit size is very large. It may need to be biopsied as well.

MIka1104
April 23rd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Yes, I am looking now for another doctor to get another opinion. I wasn't satisfied with this one. I thought maybe she would measure it or get a better look at the fibroid and that wasn't done. I think I would feel better with the right doctor.

nuthinbutpink
April 23rd, 2014, 09:45 AM
Fibroids are a common thing and lots of people have them and never know it BUT if you have one as large as you do AND you then have a loss, the "fibroid" has to be the suspect. Fibroids are biopsied when they come out because there is no way to tell via u/s if it is a benign fibroid or a cancerous tumor. I am not trying to scare you but you need to find a better doctor just to get the all clear. Good luck, hun.

atomic sagebrush
April 23rd, 2014, 03:24 PM
Oh mika I'm so sorry to hear this.

Small fibroids are ok but when they're big like that it is usually best to have them removed. There is never any way to say if the fibroid really contributed to this happening, but the problem is that pregnancy hormones can make them grow, and when you've got one that's large to begin with, the risk is that if it grows more it can end up compromising the pregnancy.

It's never an ideal thing, you are right that there are risks with the myomectomy and potential for scarring but on the whole I think the risks with leaving it would be greater (taking your doc's word on the size of the thing)