PDA

View Full Version : Fragmented embryos: aCGH testing or fish?

lisvna
May 6th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Hi Carole,

I hope you can help me out!

I understand that the clinic I prefer does aCGH testing on day 5 or 6 and only on hatching blasts with grade 1 or 2 (a and b?) and that they only offer FET. Embryos must be freezed then.

I have learned form my past cycles that I make severe fragmented embryos. My HT son was one of them. He was severe fragmented on day 3 but on day 5 the fragmentation was pushed out and he was hatching. Maybe it's just my way of making embryos.

I understand that embryos who are severe fragmented usually not suitable for freezing because they think they will not make babys.

If I cycle I will get a total different protocol then I used to have (antagonist now instead of long like previous) so I don't know how many eggs and what quality I will get this time.

Should I go for aCGH testing with FET or should I stick to fish 5 probe?

With fish I can have a fresh transfer.

I'm afraid to loose potentially baby making embryos because of not suitable for freezing.......

What do you think?

Carole
May 6th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Hi Carole,

I hope you can help me out!

I understand that the clinic I prefer does aCGH testing on day 5 or 6 and only on hatching blasts with grade 1 or 2 (a and b?) and that they only offer FET. Embryos must be freezed then.

I have learned form my past cycles that I make severe fragmented embryos. My HT son was one of them. He was severe fragmented on day 3 but on day 5 the fragmentation was pushed out and he was hatching. Maybe it's just my way of making embryos.

I understand that embryos who are severe fragmented usually not suitable for freezing because they think they will not make babys.

If I cycle I will get a total different protocol then I used to have (antagonist now instead of long like previous) so I don't know how many eggs and what quality I will get this time.

Should I go for aCGH testing with FET or should I stick to fish 5 probe?

With fish I can have a fresh transfer.

I'm afraid to loose potentially baby making embryos because of not suitable for freezing.......

What do you think?

Hello,
I think that since you are using a different protocol, you might not experience the same degree of fragmentation so it might not be an issue. If this clinic is offering both fresh and frozen transfers after testing, you might be able to delay the decision until you know about fragmentation. Generally speaking, I think it is better to do aCGH testing, rather than FISH. If fragmentation is an issue, you could ask the clinic if they would consider lessening their fragmentation cut-off- so that you can freeze some of the more fragmented ones. For younger patients, some fragmentation isn't necessarily incompatible with successful pregnancy, as you have experienced yourself. I would take it a day at a time, as you get more information, the way forward may become clear. Discuss your options with your doctor --and your concerns about discarding fragmented embryos - in advance of the cycle. Keep in mind, that these policies about fragmentation are created because the clinic has had success with doing it this way. Sometimes, you do yourself no favors by asking the clinic to do a protocol in a way that they are not comfortable with because "winging" it is never a good idea in the IVF lab. Good Luck!! Carole

lisvna
May 7th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Thank you for your answer.

you could ask the clinic if they would consider lessening their fragmentation cut-off- so that you can freeze some of the more fragmented ones. For younger patients, some fragmentation isn't necessarily incompatible with successful pregnancy, as you have experienced yourself.

My english is not so good so just to be sure i understand you right do you mean by "lessening their fragmentation cut off " that I have to ask if they will change the policy in my case so they will freeze my fragmented embryos anyway because they can make babies?

This clinic offers only with fish a fresh transfer. ACGH is always FET.

coralsky
May 11th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Lis I just noticed this now, I am so glad you asked Carole.

I do believe you are correct in your assumption above- your English is perfect! (much better than you give yourself credit for ;)) best of luck with your cycle xx