PDA

View Full Version : Interesting poll about Americans wanting boys over girls....

Glittergirl
June 29th, 2011, 06:36 PM
A friend posted this on her FB, according to a gallop poll, more Americans want a boy if they could only have one child. I thought that was interesting since to me it seems like everyone want girls....at least that's what it appears to me. I think it was a small sample though.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148187/Americans-Prefer-Boys-Girls-1941.aspx?utm_source=add%2Bthis&utm_medium=addthis.com&utm_campaign=sharing&utm_term=Americans-Prefer-Boys-Girls-1941

gizmo77
June 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM
i just skimmed thru this but i wonder what ethnicities were studied. i would ASSUME most asians and most very ethnic ppl (immigrated into the US or 1st generations) would want boys bc of what history or culture tell them.
actually i cantthink of a certain group of ppl that prefers girls over boys? do any of you guys know?

Glittergirl
June 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I guess just being on these sites makes me think everyone wants girls...LOL but maybe cause I'm always reading the sway for girl threads LOL! I did see on the poll men favored boys more than girls...it could also be a family name thing???

Out of the Blue
June 30th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I think I heard something that older Moms wanted girls more than younger Moms, the majority of which wanted boys. I think I worded that sentence strangely but I hope it makes sense...:think:

purplepoet20
June 30th, 2011, 05:40 PM
My neighbor accross the street who has two girls also had 1 m/c at 5 1/2 mths and she said it was a boy. She said she was very upset because she only wanted girls. She even said she drank a lot ton of beer and shots of Jack the day before she m/c... I hope she didn't do that so she could m/c.

My grandma on my moms side had 2 m/c's. She had 3 G's that were all 12-15mths apart and really wanted a boy and her 4th preg she thought it was another girl. When she went into premature labor she stayed home and had the baby in her bed. It was a boy and he was stillborn, my grandpa commented that she starved herself, so maybe the baby didn't get enough. Her next baby was a healthy boy. She didn't want anymore kids after that and when she became pregnant once again she did not take care of her self and the baby was 2lbs at 8mths gest he survived for only a few hours. With her last two pregs my grandpa had her commented to the hospital and she had 2 more girls.

My aunt who was the second youngest girl ^^^^ always wanted boys. She was ignored and mistreated. She violently abused and tortured one of her sisters daughter and then her own 3 girls. The girls were taken away but she still gets to see them every week.

I hate to think what people would do if they had a child they didn't want. You see it all knids of ways. The ones who ignore and mistreeat the unwanted gender, the ones who leave their spouse and kids for good, and the one like my aunt who violently abuse a child for being a girl.

All this GD talk, stats, and peoples posting is making me want to give up swaying and just have another baby no matter what I get.

Flava
June 30th, 2011, 08:49 PM
If we could only have 1 I pic girl. I always wanted girls.

purple- not everyone is like that! The last 2 times I wanted boy and had gender with DD3 but I love them very much and would never hurt them ! And now that they are here no way I would change them for any boy!

I have to add I don't believe it anyway. Everyone I know want girls even if they have a boy and a girl already.

Zivic-Bubac
July 1st, 2011, 05:09 AM
I guess Americans are just like the rest of the world... Everyone prefers boys and before I found IG and Gender Dreaming I thought it was impossible that someone really, truly wants a girl. I always felt like a lesser mom for having only girls, but not anymore :cool:

You know, being on those 2 forums helped me to recognize and understand my feelings and find a border between MY genuine gender wishes and social expectations.

Like Flava said, if I had only 1 shot, I would say :DD:

Purple - that was EGD ( extreme gender dissapointment) and it is totally beyond me and I believe it's not understandable and acceptable for most people here.....Of course, when you grew up with EGD in your family, it only makes you want protect your children :HH:
I think you raised above your family and circumstances you grew up in

lindi
July 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM
My neighbor accross the street who has two girls also had 1 m/c at 5 1/2 mths and she said it was a boy. She said she was very upset because she only wanted girls. She even said she drank a lot ton of beer and shots of Jack the day before she m/c... I hope she didn't do that so she could m/c.

My grandma on my moms side had 2 m/c's. She had 3 G's that were all 12-15mths apart and really wanted a boy and her 4th preg she thought it was another girl. When she went into premature labor she stayed home and had the baby in her bed. It was a boy and he was stillborn, my grandpa commented that she starved herself, so maybe the baby didn't get enough. Her next baby was a healthy boy. She didn't want anymore kids after that and when she became pregnant once again she did not take care of her self and the baby was 2lbs at 8mths gest he survived for only a few hours. With her last two pregs my grandpa had her commented to the hospital and she had 2 more girls.

My aunt who was the second youngest girl ^^^^ always wanted boys. She was ignored and mistreated. She violently abused and tortured one of her sisters daughter and then her own 3 girls. The girls were taken away but she still gets to see them every week.

I hate to think what people would do if they had a child they didn't want. You see it all knids of ways. The ones who ignore and mistreeat the unwanted gender, the ones who leave their spouse and kids for good, and the one like my aunt who violently abuse a child for being a girl.

All this GD talk, stats, and peoples posting is making me want to give up swaying and just have another baby no matter what I get.

I'm sorry women like your grandma didn't have access to reliable birth control.
And I am so sorry that children in your family have suffered at the hands of abusers. It sounds like your aunt had a hard time as a child and that triggered some sort of mental illness.