PDA

View Full Version : Thank you notes?

snakesnsnails
January 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Who does them? To everyone or just to people that didn't see you open your gift? Handwritten or typed?

Me - I really don't like writing them. They take so much time for me since I don't write all that well. I procrastinate then big time. I would love to type them.., but typing is not at all OK with my traditional New England family!

I truly do appreciate the gifts I receive and would like to express that to each giver, but I would love to do that with a phone call or typed card. But I won't. I send handwritten thank you cards to all family that mailed us gifts (I make the kids do them too - the fill in the blank kind). And a few friends as well. Then my birthday is Jan 1st (and this year I had a party, so got a lot of super wonderful gifts. ) and I then write more cards for that. (usually I do write both thank you's on one card). I have about 20 cards to write and 5 to help both kids with.

Just wondering what everyone else did?

nuthinbutpink
January 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
I think a handwritten note is the only proper thing to do when someone does something nice or gives you something. I think it is lovely that you do that AND that you make your children do it too!

chachamama
January 3rd, 2011, 08:54 PM
I agree, handwritten notes are the way to go..

grits
January 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
We do handwritten notes. I make DS do them, too.

But I'm addicted to custom stationery. LOVE me so stationery so that is 95% of the reason right there.

Bee Shine
January 4th, 2011, 05:49 PM
handwritten is how it should be done. That said, I hate doing them.

atomic sagebrush
January 5th, 2011, 01:29 PM
It's funny because I almost have a complex about thank you notes. Growing up, no matter what I did it was never enough...not long enough, not handwritten, not personalized, somebody always had something negative to say about my thank you notes. I mean it was so bad I was having to write rough drafts for my thank you notes. So even though I think it's lovely to write them, just always bear in mind that whatever your kids do needs to be good enough because if it's too unpleasant, it becomes a chore instead of a gift of love.

snakesnsnails
January 5th, 2011, 10:53 PM
nicely said atomic! I couldn't agree more. I am working on mine....I am doing 5 a day so it's more manageable.

Lillylolly
January 6th, 2011, 08:41 AM
YES! We have personalised stationary cards and we use them without fail.

threelittlemenandcounting
January 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Yep we do thank you notes hand written

prettyinpink18
January 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Thank you notes are a pain in the butt, but I was raised to do hand written notes. Because of this my kids will too. It is just the right thing to do in my opinion. This sounds ungrateful, but at this point I don't want another gift given to us for dd so I don't have to write anymore, lol.

Lilian78
January 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I guess it depends. If it's my in laws or an older person, I absolutely do a handwritten thank you. If it's anything professional or someone I don't know that well--again handwritten thank you. And obviously a must for big formal occasions like weddings. Friends or people I really consider peers--maybe not, and might even be weird depending on the occasion (an email works for some people, and even just a verbal thank you/hug is enough in some circumstances IMO). The one that confuses me is kid bdays. I made a list for DS2's birthday gifts but still haven't gotten to the thank you notes. And when I got to feeling bad about it, I realized that I've only actually received one thank you card EVER following a child's bday party. Someone please tell me that thank yous are not a must for these occasions :D

fourblessings4me
January 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM
We do handwritten notes, and I have my two older kiddos (14 and 8) hand write their notes too. Also, add a drawing and a "thank you" from my two youngest...

Jojogirl
January 21st, 2011, 09:50 AM
I like to pick out unique and cute cards to use as thank you notes. I have a ton of thank yous to write out for Christmas gifts but I ended up getting really sick over the last few weeks and haven't gotten around to it. I do send a thank you email...always. It is nice to send a card too. I think it depends on the situation. I tend to send thank you notes to older people because they expect it. Like my grandma or great aunts. Friends and such? I tend to send a thank you email. I am not sure if that's good enough??