PDA

View Full Version : Pls help, Choroid Plexis Cyst (cpc) at 20 week scan

Rinny101
June 6th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Hello All,

Not sure if I am posting in the right section, put hoping anyone can help...

So we had our 20 week scan last Friday, after a hard sway to TTC a girll, we were told Boy, but that everything else was fine. Of course we were devastated that our sway didn't work (cried for days).

Anyway all my gender disappointment disappeared at my follow up midwife's appointment yesterday when she opened our scans to read the report that our baby boy has a 3mm isolated CPC in the brain.

My widwife quickly went on to explain what it was and that they are quite normal and usually go away on their own, however that there is a slight risk (1%) that is could be linked to Trisomy 18.

However given my age (33), my 12 week NT scan came back low risk, and that there was no other evidence of "soft markers" for Trisomy 18 (e.g Baby size, Clenched fists, club foot, heart and kidneys) and that its considered extremely low risk.

After spending the past 2 days trawling the internet I have come across lots of forums from other mums with similar stories and that follow up scans done at 28-32 weeks all evidence of the cysts had disappeared.

I am hopeful that the same will happen with our baby, but was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with CPC's at their 18-20 weeks ultra sound?

Thanks in advance.

coocoobananas
June 6th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I have had 2 friends that had this same thing! Both turned out just fine:) was gone by the next scan! I tried to tell my friend to not worry about it til the next scan because I was certain it would disappear! A lot easier to say then do, but I really think it wil be a non issue! Good luck:)

Pebbles&BamBam
June 6th, 2014, 02:00 PM
My DD had a cpc as well, I also had GD because we wanted a boy, but after hearing that news, all we wanted was a healthy baby! We went to a periantologist at 24 weeks and the cyst was cleared up. I understand how stressful a cpc can be! At the time we did a lot of research and we did find out that lots of babies with cpc end up in gifted and talented classes, I can't say for sure as DD is only 10 months, but at 9 months she already could say her name as well as several other words and people are telling me all the time that she's very smart for her age, so it might be a blessing in disguise, hoping the best for your DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rinny101
June 7th, 2014, 02:45 AM
Thank you coocoobananas and beckz11. It's very reasuring to hear more positive stories, but I think it's just natural to worry regardless about your children, unborn or not.

I was going to wait until my next midwife appointment (4weeks), but don't think I can wait that long. Will go and see my doctor this week and arrange a follow up scan in the next 2 weeks or so.

I'm keeping positive that all will be fine and will keep you posted :)

atomic sagebrush
June 7th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I know of several people who had this and virtually all have gone onto have normal, healthy babies. The couple of times that it indicated something bad, it was along with very obvious other things going on.

Rinny101
July 9th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Hi all, just wanted to give you an update...

We'll my widwife arranged for me to speak to a genetic counsellor, in the hope that it would give some reassurance, she was lovely to talk too but didn't ease my anxiety. The counsellor then advised 2 options to give me further reassurance, a second ultrasound and a harmony test.

I decided to give both options a go!

Second ultrasound showed that the cyst had gone and that everything else was completely normal. The harmony test - which cost AU$520.00 (for any Aussie ladies interested) came back completely normal with no chromosome abnormalities.

Such a huge relief!!

It also confirmed what that I am definitely carrying DS2 :)

atomic sagebrush
July 9th, 2014, 09:41 AM
thanks so much for updating us!! And huge congrats on DS 2!! I think boys should always come in pairs just like shoes do. :)

Pebbles&BamBam
July 9th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Glad everything turned out well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rinny101
July 10th, 2014, 05:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I have now completely accepted DS2 am and actually excited to meet him :) I hope he looks like DH, because DS1 is all me!

And with the all clear on the cyst, I can now enjoy the rest of this pregnancy!!