PDA

View Full Version : what are the odds of this???

jmomof3girls
June 26th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Family hoped for a girl, gets 12th baby boy (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-sideshow/family-hoped-for-a-girl--gets-12th-baby-boy-215850096.html)

covered in blue
June 26th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Oh wow! Beautiful family though. Aaaawww they still look so delighted :)

Alyssasmom789
June 26th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Wow!

SamS_TTCPink
June 26th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Awww... What gorgeous boys! Doesn't give me much hope of getting our girl though. 😉

Rosie85
June 26th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Stories like this make me lose all hope. What if I'm like her? I would never have 12 kids to begin with though. My old obgyn...His grandma had 11 daughters and no boys...they kept trying for a boy. I don't like that either. Stop when you normally would have. When people have 12 kids of all one sex it's easy for me to feel they are having them just to get to the gold at the end of the rainbow...The opposite.

purplepoet20
June 26th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I wonder if people knew about the real affects of life style changes. My recent OB Dr laughed at me when I said I wanted one more child, and I didn't say a girl just another baby. She said I will just end up with another boy and how so many people keep trying. I know plenty of people who either had fertility issues or money issues when they conceived girls first and then started to change there diet to set an example and had a boy next. I have friends that either eat super limited amounts of food or go on a diet and conceive girls.... there are so many factors that if you change just a few things you get different genders.

Rosie85
June 26th, 2014, 10:13 AM
So is it safe to assume people with a ton of the same gender have never had a lifestyle change? I have a hard time believing this mom never went on a diet.

odd
June 26th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Wowwww. That's sure a lot of kids. But she clearly seems to know how to manage her time and sounds happy and that's all that matters.

jmomof3girls
June 26th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Yeah they do look happy! They may have a chance for a girl since they don't use birth control because of religious reasons. Here's another story on them
Catholic Couple Who Put Family Size ‘in God’s Hands’ Welcomes Their 12th Son | Video | TheBlaze.com (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/09/a-statistical-oddity-catholic-couple-who-put-family-size-in-gods-hands-welcome-their-12th-son/)

The Anchor
June 26th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Wow! Did you read how her sister had 10 boys too! Incredible!

jmomof3girls
June 26th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I know, that's so rare!!!

atomic sagebrush
June 28th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Not high, too rare to even calculate.

I really do think that people who get to the point of 12 kids have made peace with GD a long time before. Some people really do want big families and while they may laugh about wanting a girl and stuff, I'm not sure it really takes on the level of panic that those of us with 2-3-4-5 of one tend to have.

atomic sagebrush
June 28th, 2014, 10:18 AM
So is it safe to assume people with a ton of the same gender have never had a lifestyle change? I have a hard time believing this mom never went on a diet.

I wouldn't make that assumption at all, it's a combo of personality, lifestyle, diet, whatever the dad is bringing to the table, and bad luck (I am not sure that you can call 12 healthy sons bad luck, in fact many would call that spectacularly good luck)

atomic sagebrush
June 28th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Wow! Did you read how her sister had 10 boys too! Incredible!

I'd like to show that to all the "it's 50-50" people!

atomic sagebrush
June 28th, 2014, 10:24 AM
There are a couple parrots in zoos (humans actually have quite a lot in common with the way some birds reproduce, with monogamous couples having 1-2 offspring at a time) that did things like have 14 boys in a row, and then turned around and had 10 or 12 girls in a row!! IT's a well documented phenomenon.

jmomof3girls
June 28th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Not high, too rare to even calculate.

I really do think that people who get to the point of 12 kids have made peace with GD a long time before. Some people really do want big families and while they may laugh about wanting a girl and stuff, I'm not sure it really takes on the level of panic that those of us with 2-3-4-5 of one tend to have.
I agree! They looked totally at peace with all those Handsome boys!!

jmomof3girls
June 28th, 2014, 12:39 PM
There are a couple parrots in zoos (humans actually have quite a lot in common with the way some birds reproduce, with monogamous couples having 1-2 offspring at a time) that did things like have 14 boys in a row, and then turned around and had 10 or 12 girls in a row!! IT's a well documented phenomenon.
This is very true is some cases. For example, If you take a look at the dugger family (including the last baby girl that didn't make it). The first 9 kids were a mix of boys and girls. Then, they had 6 boys (including a set of boy twins) in a row, then 5 girls in a row. Also, my husband's aunt had 4 girls then 4 boys.

atomic sagebrush
June 28th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I already mentioned this to you Jana but for others, my greatgrandma had 6 girls and then 2 boys at the end.