PDA

View Full Version : comments got to me for first time!

Glittergirl
July 7th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I just had to vent....I'm pregnant and hormonal:mad: So my kids were at a birthday party yesterday and a mom with 2 girls saw that I have 3 boys. So she goes on to say "wow you have your hands full"--I agreed...I take that as a compliment anyway, I mean anyone with 3 young kids has their hands full right? Then she goes on to say boys break everything in your home and destroy your stuff but at least they love their mom til the age of 5. At this point I'm thinking, so my 9 year old must not love me anymore??? I'm also thinking, ok you are now stereotyping, just cause a child has a penis does not mean you raise them to be neanderthals! We have 2 huge crystal chandeliers in our home. Our formal living room is filled with rare expensive antiques dh and I have collected during our 14 year marriage, my boys take their shoes off in our home and I have taught them to do the same at others homes. yes they are active, but appropriately active they don't go around breaking things and disrespecting property! Now the irony is, her 5 year old girl constantly cried. Waaaa hit my head, waaaa my balloon popped, waaaaa i dropped my cake. You wanna talk stereotypes???? I finally just said, well, at least boys don't have all the drama. My son spilled his drink....he just got a napkin and cleaned it up. After that I kept my mouth shut. I usually do not say anything to comment but being preggers I was getting furious. Dh could tell, he just rubbed my leg as this mom was going on and on and on blah blah blah how her daughter is going to skip a grade :rolleyes:! Sorry had to vent!!!

swish
July 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Ah, so frustrating these people think they have the right to be so insulting!!!! I actually wonder what they think of their own husbands so they seem to have forgottebpn they too are part of the male species!!! I don't blame you for responding, people ith stupid stereotypes should be put in their place, x

zanacal
July 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM
She sounds a laugh a minute .... good for you for saying something in return and for keeping calm. What a silly thing for her to have said anyway - I wouldn't let any child walk around breaking stuff, boy or girl, and I hope that any child I have will love me for the rest of our lives!

purplepoet20
July 7th, 2011, 05:27 PM
My boys have Viking/Italian/German/Irish/Mohawk blood so being a boy on top of all that you would think I would be insane... My boys don't wear shoes in the house, they like mud but they clean up right away, clothing has very few if no stains, my 3 year old does chores and his room is spotless, and even my 17mth old will ask for a napkin when his hand is dirty.

DS1 has always been a dadas boy but DS2 is all mine and I love it. Most boys around the teen years tend to venture toward mom again, they just like to do manly things with dada.

Now to teach hubby to stop spilling food on his shirt.

Must be good parenting to raise good sons!

LolaInLove
July 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Glitter, honestly, I bet she wants a boy and just says crap like that to make herself feel better.

zanacal
July 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Glitter, honestly, I bet she wants a boy and just says crap like that to make herself feel better.

Very likely, I agree.

Glittergirl
July 8th, 2011, 08:52 PM
thanks....just got back from dairy queen and a guy in line actually came and complimented the boys for having good manners...it was nice to hear. yeah, those comments never get to me...I think it's the hormones! I usually let it slide right off my back. Unfortunately I'll probably see that mom once school starts cause her kids will go to same school. I always remind myself to be sensitive. When I see all girl moms I always compliment and tell them how sweet it must be to have girls. I think it's a funny thing....we tend to make comments when its an all girl or all boy family. When it's mixed, you never hear those things (I say that cause I came from an all girl family so growing up, I remember my parents getting those remarks) Especially the "poor you" comments to my dad.

nicnee1976
July 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM
My boys are very well behaved and only the youngest is likely to throw/break stuff, but he is 2 and has tantrums. Don't get me wrong I would love a girl, but if I had to choose between all boys or all girls, I would take what I have any day. Gender stereotyping is stupid, it is how you raise them that makes them who they are, gender plays a small part and mine don't fit the boisterous bill at all. In fact they don't seem to fit many 'boy' statistics.

LolaInLove
July 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I agree, I have seen many families of all girls and all boys who are awesome kids...and many who are wild. It is all in the parenting.

zanacal
July 12th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Oh believe me, my boys are still wild - but I care enough to try and tame them rather than letting them run around doing exactly as they please!

LolaInLove
July 12th, 2011, 03:55 PM
And my girls are wild sometimes, too! Not to change subjects, but Glitter, are you having a scan anytime soon?

Petal
July 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Some people are just soo insensitive, i havent told anyone that this baby is our 3rd boy because i cant cope with the comments right now. A so called friend of mine who is also pg with her 3rd (she already has a boy and girl) told me how she and her dh feel sorry for me having all this pressure on me wanting a girl and they have none as they already have one of each!!!

LolaInLove
July 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Oy, Petal, that is kinda harsh too! I know how you feel, if I am having my third girl (when I get pg!) I will likely resist wanting to tell people....at least until I get a good "comeback." I agree, some people are insensitive. I think no one should make a comment about your children's gender EVER, except saying what good boys you have or something in reference to them.

ttcboy2011
July 12th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Some people are just soo insensitive, i havent told anyone that this baby is our 3rd boy because i cant cope with the comments right now. A so called friend of mine who is also pg with her 3rd (she already has a boy and girl) told me how she and her dh feel sorry for me having all this pressure on me wanting a girl and they have none as they already have one of each!!!

A true friend wouldn't tell you that. Sucks that there are people that don't care about others feelings.

zanacal
July 12th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Charming! It's fantastic having 3 boys and nobody has any reason to feel sorry for you - I know it's not what you'd planned but I feel very lucky to be mummy to my wonderful little guys :D

Petal
July 13th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks everyone, yeah i was definatly gob-smacked when she said it! I agree, i think 3 of a kind (or more) is soo special, i saw a lady the other week with 4 little girls and i just admired her, they all looked so cute! Have been kind of ignoring my so called friend until i cant put her stupid comments behind me :-)) x