PDA

View Full Version : Thermometers for newborns?

bunnywabbit
July 22nd, 2014, 06:55 PM
Little guy is due his first immunisations soon and I'm attempting to look into buying a decent thermometer to check for low grade fever. Which is the best type (I've heard the inner ear ones are good, but temperature for very young babies are best taken under arm, not sure how true that is)? Do you have any recommendations, or any you wouldn't touch with a bargepole? TIA!

missxo143
July 22nd, 2014, 07:45 PM
When my last was in the NICU, it was taken under his arm. I was told its the most acurate besides the rectum one

bunnywabbit
July 23rd, 2014, 06:02 AM
Which thermometers do you all use?

atomic sagebrush
July 26th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I use a "vicks" one that has worked well for us, I did want to mention that while some docs will take you to task for not taking temp rectally, it may be dangerous and it's best avoided by anyone who is not a trained rectal-temp-taking professional. Under the arm is good enough for mama!!

bluebonnet22
July 26th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure what's available where you are, but I use the exergen temporal infrared scanner. It's the exact same one used in my hospital and at my pediatrician so I love knowing that I'll always get the "correct" temperature! It scans the temporal artery which lines up closely with a rectal temperature. It's super easy (much easier than under arm) and takes 1 second.