PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound percentiles and gender

CdinGA
August 3rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
Feeling awful today after 3d ultrasound yesterday. Baby looks great and healthy so that's awesome except I'm so down because the measurements the tech told us have me upset again. We don't know the sex of the baby and even though every sign points to girl again.
Baby measured exactly 32 and 5 after the head, belly and femur lengths were taken. Dates are on 100% to conception and have been all along. But weight was estimated at 4.2 lbs and only 30th percentile. So I have been crushed since we left there thinking of course it's another girl because it's way too small to be a boy. Our other daughter is tiny too but she was a bigger baby. Ugh I hope meeting her will take all my gd away. Trying to enjoy my last 6 weeks. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

nuthinbutpink
August 3rd, 2014, 09:27 AM
Boys can be small too! I hope it's your boy!

CdinGA
August 3rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
I hope so. My hubby is 6' and he was a 10lb baby so I am not very hopeful at this point. But it did seem that baby had absolutely no room so maybe it's long.

LilithWiser1979
August 3rd, 2014, 01:33 PM
The size of your baby has NOTHING to do with gender. DS1 was less than 7 lbs, and DS2 was almost 9 lbs. The difference? Their genetics, and the fact that I ate super healthy and paleo with DS2, and pretty much ate whatever I wanted with DS1. I know a woman who had 2 boys (not twins) who were 5 lbs and a few ounces each, and then an almost 10 lb girl for her third. All kids had the same dad.

It is good that you're preparing yourself to hear girl, because that may still happen, but not for the reason you're worried about :)

CdinGA
August 3rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Thank you for your understanding and answers!

Abifasc
August 3rd, 2014, 04:29 PM
You're only 32 weeks...baby has A LOT of time to grow!!! And size means nothing. This
Ate in your pregnancy it will be off 1-2lbs either way. My boys were 7lbs and over 9lbs, born at the same gestation :)

hotdogz&boyz
August 3rd, 2014, 10:08 PM
Means NOTHING! My first son was the smallest of my babies and always measured the smallest in utero (he was pretty close to dates all the time, my second son was HUGE for dates, and my daughter was ahead by a few days each time). My babies are all born at similar gestations and they were 6.10 (DS1), 8.4 (DS2), and 7.0 (DD1). So, clearly my son was smaller than my daughter.

Additionally, my good friend had a team green baby with her third and she/her family was sure it was a girl that time (two boys already) because baby was measuring smaller than her other two. Nope, it was a boy, just a more petite one than her previous two sons.

Don't stress over this, it could be your little boy!

sweetdream
August 6th, 2014, 06:20 PM
My first was the largest. Ds 2 the smallest. With 20wks they already told me he was gonna be small. And with 37 weeks the estemated him at 2700gr he was Born a little over 3kg.

It says nothing.

WantingPink
August 6th, 2014, 11:50 PM
It means nothing. First of all weight isn't very accurate on ultrasound. My 32 week uls they told me my daughter was already 6 lbs and 7 weeks later she was born at 6 lbs 13 oz. Doubt she only gained 13 oz in 7 weeks. Secondly my boys were both born smaller and weighing less than my daughter. Being big or small in utero has little do to with gender and more about what is going on with your eating and your body and genetics (not gender).

blackbekki
August 9th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Can I point out hopefully to make you feel better my first a boy was 7lb10oz at birth my daughter (stillborn at 41 weeks) was 8lb8oz and my rainbow a boy was 7lb3oz at birth so my dear small defo doesn't mean girl. Good luck and I really hope you get a dream boy as much as a get my dream girl with my 2nd rainbow addition xx

CdinGA
August 9th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Thank you ladies for your input. It does help to read your experiences.
I had been feeling down today. It's just so hard for me to believe that a boy would be in the 30th percentile. I'm reading so many pregnancy board posts where the women having boys are measuring so far ahead and have gained a lot of weight. I'm just average at the moment so I'm just like ugh.... Nothing can ever point to boy for me.

blackbekki
August 9th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Your not out yet Hun. Maybe soon you will be lucky and get the squint of a floater ;) I saw my second sons before she asked if we wanted to know and have an ultrasound of it floating up lol. Never found out the sex of my baby girls until she was born as we wanted a suprises just gutted it wasn't the best suprise :'( one day we will all be blessed with our hearts desires fx sooner rather then later xx

CdinGA
August 9th, 2014, 05:49 PM
We are team green Bekki - I find out in 5 weeks or less! I have an ultrasound video if I wanted to snoop but I don't. I'm too afraid to know girl for sure. I am just hoping that she will be enough for me because I won't get another chance. I hope you can get your girl too!

blackbekki
August 9th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Aww I loved been team green but after what happened we decided our rainbow we had to find out and same reason with this one. I am scared
It's going to be another boy but I will have time to adjust and love him like my other 2 but fx my baby girl sent me a princess to make my living family while xx

CdinGA
August 9th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you get your baby girl.

atomic sagebrush
August 11th, 2014, 03:10 AM
my daughter was my second largest baby. 3 of my sons were smaller than her

Nahri
August 11th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I was a 10 lb baby. my poor mother... LOL I decided to use her ribcage as a foot rest and actually kicked so hard I fractured one! My DH was 5lbs and premature by 3 weeks his tiny mom just couldn't handle him anymore and had to come out c-sect. All my sons ultrasounds they kept telling me he was HUGE and "HOLY COW LOOK AT THE SIZE OF HIM" and "If he gets any bigger you may not be doing this vaginally" I knew better from the beginning that ultrasound weight measurements can be off +/- 2 lbs. I had a healthy 7lb 2oz baby boy at 39 weeks. So don't let measurements get you down!

CdinGA
August 11th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks all!

atomic sagebrush
August 13th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I was a 10 lb baby. my poor mother... LOL I decided to use her ribcage as a foot rest and actually kicked so hard I fractured one! My DH was 5lbs and premature by 3 weeks his tiny mom just couldn't handle him anymore and had to come out c-sect. All my sons ultrasounds they kept telling me he was HUGE and "HOLY COW LOOK AT THE SIZE OF HIM" and "If he gets any bigger you may not be doing this vaginally" I knew better from the beginning that ultrasound weight measurements can be off +/- 2 lbs. I had a healthy 7lb 2oz baby boy at 39 weeks. So don't let measurements get you down!

:agree: this happened to me too, told I had an 8 lb 3 oz. baby and then nearly a month later (expecting a monster and under tons of pressure to induce early) I had a 7 lb 13 oz. little man.

hotdogz&boyz
August 14th, 2014, 03:32 PM
^^Me too!! They told me my daughter was over 8.5lbs at 36 weeks and that I was looking at a big girl. And since my second was 8lbs, 4oz at 37+2, I didn't doubt that they were wrong. I figured she was just big like him. Thankfully, I deliver early and no one was pressuring me to induce. But 2 WEEKS later (when she "should have" gained an additional pound from that 36 week measurement) she was delivered at exactly 7.0lbs. And she ate before she got weighed! So, yeah, don't depend too much on those measurements. They can be off by quite a lot.

iluvmy4sons
August 14th, 2014, 11:45 PM
My boys and my daughter were all about the same weight. It has nothing to do with gender at all.

Nahri
August 15th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Thankfully my OB wasn't after me to induce, which I was afraid of knowing the Csection rates Monday-Friday in the US, but once I got in the hospital it was here have some drug, have this drug, take that drug, GET THE BABY OUT NOW DRUGS!. I could have slapped every single one of them. I finally had to cave to getting the epidural when I only had less than half an inch to push him out. Episiotomy and forceps because my bad hip wasn't putting out the right leverage. Oh they all HATED me. ;D Its going to be worse where we are living at now the second time around!

Arimethia
August 29th, 2014, 11:53 AM
If it helps, I am a girl and was bigger than both my sons, I was 9lbs 8oz born on my due date. My sons were 9 and 7.5 lbs. my husband was a twin so he was tiny.