PDA

View Full Version : What do we think of the Beckhams' new baby's name?

CrystalTipps
July 11th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I guess this is obliquely gender-related, since most of us assume (rightly or wrongly) that they did PGD. Anyway, what do we think of the name? They called her 'Harper Seven'. I must admit to being quite shocked that they chose something so, well, normal. It is very American which I understand as they have loved living in the States. But it is not that unusual, like their other children's names. I heard rumours that they would call her 'Atlanta' (after the airline that they travel on) or 'Santa' (after Santa Monica where they have a home). Both fabulous names. Harper, by comparison, is quite tame. And also unisex. I would have expected their first daughter after 3 boys to have a girly name.

What does everyone else think?

rainbowflower
July 11th, 2011, 02:45 AM
I don't like it personally as I think it's very masculine-sounding, but if we all liked the same names I think the world would be quite boring and hopefully it's not a name she will be teased about!

Zivic-Bubac
July 11th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Yes, I've heard that they were going to name her Santa and I thought poor baby.....
Harper sounds masculine to me and I personally think it's boy's name all the way. Crystal, do you know for sure they named her Harper? Or there are other options like Santa LOL!

TTC5
July 11th, 2011, 06:07 AM
It isn't something I would chose but much better than most celebs choices these days hehe

shouldihope?
July 11th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Why seven? That is random sounding.

CrystalTipps
July 11th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Seven is David's shirt number. Actually, I quite like Santa. Much prefer it to Harper. But then my children have very unusual names.

nuthinbutpink
July 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Harper is not that common here. There are not that many Harper's in the kids schools, if any. I have a friend that also had 3 boys and then a girl and they named her a not so feminine sounding name. Their reasoning was that they were trying to find a name that went with their boys' names and that's what they liked best. So, instead of a girly-girl name, they went with something more unisex because they thought it blended better with the rest.

I like Harper. I didn't know they announced the name. Seven must have some significance. Maybe something to do with the number of tries, people in the family...who knows.

They maintain that they were told and thought 'boy' at the first ultrasound...not sure if they went the PGD route!

Zivic-Bubac
July 11th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I think she swayed through diet. They hired nutritionist before they were pg allegedly to help them conceive :rolleyes: She had girl friendly diet before conception of her DD.

Layla
July 11th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I really think they went Ht for this baby. I think that is why they moved to the states (ht for gender selection is not allowed in the UK I think except for genetic reasons) and then called her Harper Seven. As 7 was his jersey with Man Utd and she was the reason to part with it. I am not sure where they got Harper from. I like it better than Beverly though, as somebody suggested they were going to call her at one stage. It is much better than if 7 was her first name. OMG baby Suri will now have competition for the world's trendiest baby. Is there any term in HT that is close to Harper (I am really trying to prove my theory here).

Flava
July 11th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Funny how ppl think different lol

I think Harper is a girl name does not sound boyish to me at all. And it's not that common for sure. But seven is a normal name?? no way
And Santa is not fabulous for me at all! Ohh poor baby she is so lucky they didn't pick that "name" for her.

purplepoet20
July 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I guess Harper isn't so bad... I know a family of all girls and the names are Hunter, River, and Mount. And these kids are picked on for it.

But for celebs having kids with weird names I don't think they are going to be made fun of and most likely will be know as a famous kid.

lobella2
July 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I actually like the name Harper, but they are celebs so they have to throw in the silly middle name of seven.

CrystalTipps
July 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I know a family of all girls and the names are Hunter, River, and Mount. And these kids are picked on for it.

What awful names! What were their parents thinking? Hunter and River for a boy - yes. But they are not girls' names. And Mount - WTF?!?

hopefulfornumber3
July 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Interesting... I know a couple Harpers IRL. I think that name is becoming pretty trendy and to me it's a girl name all the way.

queen-of-harts
July 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I really do not believe the whole "we were told boy but then told girl" bit at all,i think its a cover up for doing pgd since its not allowed in England and they maybe dont want people knowing but if they did do pgd i really wish they would be honest and maybe it would bring this issue to light a bit more.Another thing that shocked me was the baby weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces? I dont see how she could have even carried such a wonderfully average size baby in her tiny little tummy meanwhile i had a 7 pound 4 oz baby and looked like someone who had swallowed 2 thanksgiving turkeys whole lol

zanacal
July 11th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Lol, my first baby was 6lb 4oz and I was the size of a bus!

I quite like the name - the middle name is a little odd but if it has a special meaning then I'll let them off :D Personally I'd choose something more feminine after 3 boys but I don't think their boys have particularly masculine names anyway!

swish
July 11th, 2011, 04:44 PM
My first DS was 6lb4 too, good weight to get out!!! The name is not common in England at all, I wouldn't choose it but think it's quite sweet.

queen-of-harts
July 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Ha my first child was 8 pounds 14 3/4 ounces and i had a drug free labor....he is now 13 and 74 pounds and i always say hes never been big except the day that he was born and that was just to be a pain in my ass lol

CrystalTipps
July 11th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I really do not believe the whole "we were told boy but then told girl" bit at all,i think its a cover up for doing pgd since its not allowed in England and they maybe dont want people knowing

I thought this also.

DoulaMama
July 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I had thought about the name Harper...it was on my long list of boy names at one point. The only reason we scratched it was because of our Prime Minister here in Canada...who I think is a d!ck- Steven Harper. Just made me think of him every time we said the name..LOL

I don't mind it though:) I'm not a huge fan of the middle name but I also liked a name close to it.....Severin- for a girl. I like really different names too:)

iluvmyman
July 12th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I'm from CA and I've never heard anyone named Harper. Interesting choice Harper Seven.

Snowflakes
July 13th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I actually do like the name Harper although I am surprised they didn't come up with something a little more unusal.
I also strongly believe that they went HT for this baby. Posh has certainly been upfront about wanting a girl for all these years. And they have the money... so why wouldn't they have taken this path?? I'm sure they didn't want to publicize doing HT, so that's why the were stories about them swaying and the reference to the first ultrasound showing a boy.

winogurl
July 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Well, Harper has been the name I've wanted to use for my DD for well over 5 years now. If my 5YO had been a girl, I would've named her Harper Kirby. Now that so many celebrities are using it, I'm not sure I want to go that route. Lisa Marie Presley, Neil Patrick Harris, Tiffany Theissen…now Posh & Becks…it makes me sad. :(

Snowflakes
July 14th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I think choosing a name has to be one of the hardest decisions. Similar to Harper, I really like Harlow (which is Nicole Richie's daughters name). Good luck with choosing a name for your DD Winogurl :)

lilacforlulu
July 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I'm right there with you Wino, I've wanted to name a DD Harper forever (it's my maiden name), but now I don't know--it makes me sad too!

nuthinbutpink
July 14th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'm right there with you Wino, I've wanted to name a DD Harper forever (it's my maiden name), but now I don't know--it makes me sad too!

Use it! Your maiden name! Perfect!

sassafras
July 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I love the name Harper! It is on my short list:)

lindi
July 20th, 2011, 12:15 AM
I really liked Harper if DS was a girl, but now I have met both baby boys and girls named Harper! Its one of those names I think a lot of people started to like at the same time. Its a nice strong girl name, but with a sort of soft meaning. I think of Harper Lee, so that's also a plus. I'm mixed about the Seven. I guess it has significance for them, but it also strikes me as a little demeaning to give a person a number as a name. If I had to pick a number to be a name, though, I guess Seven would be the prettiest. Or Eleven?

winogurl
July 20th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Use it! Your maiden name! Perfect!

Definitely!!!!!

I think we are going with it, Posh & Becks be darned. :P

ELP
July 21st, 2011, 06:42 AM
I read something about the Seven, don't know if it was a quote from him or web speculation but they chose seven becasue it was lucky and reminded them of the seven colors of the rainbow, and don't people call the baby after a loss a rainbow baby? I wonder if here may be a hint of this in there somewhere?

glory
July 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
I love Harper, it was the name I had if ds3 was a girl. I have been turned off it though cause there are lots of famous people using the name. Neil Patrick Harris, guy from foo fighters, a singer here in Aus...

glory
July 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
Winogirl I forgot about Tiffany and Lisa Marie. But now Posh it's too popular. All you will get is oh after posh and becks baby. My ds3 is Beckett, I already get bend it like Beckett ( though they all forget it is bend it like beckham)

I loved Kirby too :)