PDA

View Full Version : Timing

twinkle
July 11th, 2011, 05:06 AM
How important is the whole timing? I was planning on a one off attempt with a 2-3 day cut off but i still havent ovulated yet im normaly so regular but i think the miscarage has made my cycle a bit off. I normaly get a fade in on my opks and its not even stared to do that yet its so frustrating. Any way we bd on cycle day 11 but i decided to bd again last night just incase i ovulate in the next couple of days. Im 36 and feel time is not on my side. Do you think it will be ok

swish
July 11th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Have you ovulated yet? If it's not for a couple of days and you planned a 2 day cut off, it sounds good!

twinkle
July 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
No ovulation as yet ive just done my 1st opk of the day and i have a slight line so im hoping i will get a + either tonight or tomorrow at the latest. I will test again at 3 and then again at 7. im a bit of a peeonastick addict and stock up on loads of opks online

rainbowflower
July 11th, 2011, 02:47 PM
A few studies I've read recently say that without a long cut off youre more likely to be pregnant but no more likely to have a boy even if you dtd on ov day its still roughly 50-50 (without swaying). I wouldn't worry about it!

zanacal
July 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I've read in some studies lately that a girl is more likely during your highly fertile days (which I take to be O day and the day or two beforehand) - I think Atomic is probably right when she says that so many studies have come to different conclusions or no conclusions that it probably doesn't matter at all, so long as you're doing other things to lower fertility like lowering pH, using gels, taking antihistimines and regular BDing or abstaining. I'm actually thinking of BDing every day with a condom and having a one off attempt with my first +OPK, which should be a 1 day cut off or thereabouts. I like your theory rainbowflower of that being close enough to O to get pregnant but long enough for the Rephresh to do its thing!

rainbowflower
July 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Zana I agree that if timing really swayed more studies would show a stronger link. Perhaps Shettles did find something that swayed in his study but maybe it was the lack of female big O (or anything else he advised) instead and he assumed it was the cut off?

zanacal
July 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
... or a cut off simply means that fertility is lowered as some sperm will have died before O. I believe he also recommended regular BDing. I'm amazed by just how many people and websites in general still go with the Shettles theory, since his theory has been disproven!

rainbowflower
July 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM
If it was decreased fertility causing the sway with a cut off wouldn't the other studies testing the cut off theory have found the link too? so imo that can't be the factor that swayed in this study... I agree it's surprising that some places still imply that it's a key swaying factor and maybe it's wrong to be encouraging it so much when the unbiased evidence so strongly finds no truth to it.

twinkle
July 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
thank you ladies. Yesterday i had some very slight spoting so im wondering if it because i have ovulated and just missed the surge on the opks. I am going to try the temping for the next cycle but i wake up during the night to see to the little ones so i dont know if it will just confuse me more

atomic sagebrush
July 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Zana I agree that if timing really swayed more studies would show a stronger link. Perhaps Shettles did find something that swayed in his study but maybe it was the lack of female big O (or anything else he advised) instead and he assumed it was the cut off?

Shettles advised a lot of things that could possibly sway, like shallow penetration, lack of female O, and abstinence. Plus vinegar douche. We have no idea which of these things did the swaying.

atomic sagebrush
July 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
If it was decreased fertility causing the sway with a cut off wouldn't the other studies testing the cut off theory have found the link too? so imo that can't be the factor that swayed in this study... I agree it's surprising that some places still imply that it's a key swaying factor and maybe it's wrong to be encouraging it so much when the unbiased evidence so strongly finds no truth to it.

Well, it could be that some people really are just so fertile that a cutoff is nothing to them while others may be more "set" for a girl to begin with and then the cutoff really might make a difference??? But I totally agree...it's the fertility that is doing the swaying and not a mystical property of any given day. ITA x a billion that it's wrong to be encouraging it when a slavish attempt at timing requires things that WILL raise the testosterone of even Mother Teresa. Plus I have seen way too many people give up everything EXCEPT timing and then conceive opposites. :(

atomic sagebrush
July 15th, 2011, 10:19 AM
How important is the whole timing? I was planning on a one off attempt with a 2-3 day cut off but i still havent ovulated yet im normaly so regular but i think the miscarage has made my cycle a bit off. I normaly get a fade in on my opks and its not even stared to do that yet its so frustrating. Any way we bd on cycle day 11 but i decided to bd again last night just incase i ovulate in the next couple of days. Im 36 and feel time is not on my side. Do you think it will be ok

I don't think it's important at all and I wouldn't give it a moment's thought or worry (other than to help you optimize abstaining/frequent BD which I DO think matters.)

If you think about it, how might something like that evolve anyway? Babies conceived 2 DBO, if they are girls have a better shot at survival while babies conceived on O day, if they are boys, have a better shot at survival?? How or why would that be and how could that have even evolved to be consistent for every person everywhere? It doesn't add up.

mandicane
July 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I agree with you atomic! but I think timing has been drilled into so many of our heads that its hard to let it go. I feel like if I do everything and skip timing and get another boy, i will always wonder what could have been?! but on the other hand, I really want to get pregnant ASAP (my sis is getting married next July so I need to get on it) so I too have been thinking about letting the timing thing go. On the IG site I remember reading that one of the moderators wanted to omit timing from one of the sway factors but in the end deceided to keep it for whatever reason. After reading that, the importance of timing has been toying with me.

mandicane
July 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Just out of curiousity, Atomic, what would your sway attempt be like for TTC pink? What kind of timing/diet/supp would you do?

happyheart
July 16th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I've read in some studies lately that a girl is more likely during your highly fertile days (which I take to be O day and the day or two beforehand) - I think Atomic is probably right when she says that so many studies have come to different conclusions or no conclusions that it probably doesn't matter at all, so long as you're doing other things to lower fertility like lowering pH, using gels, taking antihistimines and regular BDing or abstaining. I'm actually thinking of BDing every day with a condom and having a one off attempt with my first +OPK, which should be a 1 day cut off or thereabouts. I like your theory rainbowflower of that being close enough to O to get pregnant but long enough for the Rephresh to do its thing!

This is exactly what I am doing. :) :)

zanacal
July 17th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Fingers crossed it works for us both!

atomic sagebrush
July 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I agree with you atomic! but I think timing has been drilled into so many of our heads that its hard to let it go. I feel like if I do everything and skip timing and get another boy, i will always wonder what could have been?! but on the other hand, I really want to get pregnant ASAP (my sis is getting married next July so I need to get on it) so I too have been thinking about letting the timing thing go. On the IG site I remember reading that one of the moderators wanted to omit timing from one of the sway factors but in the end deceided to keep it for whatever reason. After reading that, the importance of timing has been toying with me.

I do totally understand wanting to do everything but you must keep in the back of your minds the 'law of testosterone supply and demand' meaning that if you do things to sway that are constantly keeping your T high, that's worse than if you had done NOTHING to sway and just DTD accidentally one day when your diaphragm was in crooked LOL.

It's not just that timing probably doesn't sway, in which case I would have no prob. with people keeping it in. It's that timing may actually HURT your sway in a negative way by keeping swaying constantly in the forefront of your brain and tickling that obsessive, control-freak part of us that we all have and that sends your T levels through the roof.

atomic sagebrush
July 17th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Just out of curiousity, Atomic, what would your sway attempt be like for TTC pink? What kind of timing/diet/supp would you do?

Well my real-world attempt would be prob. to pray and do nothing other than lose a bit of weight and get pg any way I could,(maybe even try to boost fertility a little bit, which tends to sway blue in younger women) because I'm 41 years old and my husband refuses to sway! ;)

My fantasy attempt, if I was fully fertile and had a cooperative husband would be:

First and foremost, losing weight on a low protein, low fat, low calorie, low sodium, low nutrient diet. I would try to get to 115 lbs which is my lowest adult weight and 10 lbs below any weight I ever conceived at.

Vitex, saw palmetto, baby aspirin, folic acid for me and licorice root for DH. I would take Zyrtec.

Abstain with a 2 day cutoff if I was younger than 35 or frequent BD with a 2 cutoff if I was older than 35. I wouldn't be strict about the cutoff and I wouldn't temp or do OPK, I would just go off when I thought I would O and if I Oed early or late, no worries because timing doesn't matter anyway.

RepHresh every 3 days from AF-O and then BD with Sylk as a lube. Jump and dump afterwards.

TTC from Feb-May only.

zanacal
July 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
TTC from Feb-May only.

Oooh, Atomic, I was really liking you until that part :wink:

atomic sagebrush
July 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Well remember, that's my fantasy sway and in my fantasy, it's already January! ;)

zanacal
July 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
In that case you're forgiven :wink:

purplepoet20
July 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
I am not 100% focused on cutoffs but choose to add it because with both my boys we DTD every 24-36hrs like clock work... we were not trying so we never tried any form of cut off. Since AF has ended today I started to do vin/douche from now until cd5, my ph rises really fast. And then I will get a sample every 12hrs and mix sperm with rephresh, 5-3 days before Ov. Jump and Dump after 5-10mins, I believe there is something with the low ph and dumping.

One of my cousins is a germfreak (what she calls it) and she uses a vin/douce everyday and everytime after DTD... she is expecting her 4th girl. Based on her lifestyle she should have all boys.