PDA

View Full Version : Last minute indecision about cycling at Gensesis clinic

APPLE4
September 23rd, 2014, 05:16 AM
Help!
The clinic have my medication all ready to go. But I am a bit all over the place with should/shouldn't i?

My husband will do it (although he does not agree with it etc).

He really only wants us to have one go and I cannot risk having twins so would only have one embryo put back in. Dr savvas gives me a 60% chance of it working if I have 2 replaced but cannot give me the odds if I have one replaced.

I am 36 and have 3 lovely kids so feel very insane to consider this. We can afford it but the indecision / stress is eating me up.

I had ivf when I was 27 and first time round it did not work but we got lucky on our second go...

What to do? Is it really worth all this agony?

Any words of wisdom appreciated as I go around in circles!

Thanks

S

nuthinbutpink
September 23rd, 2014, 06:16 AM
Why do you need IVF to conceive? What is the alternative if you don't cycle at genesis?

APPLE4
September 23rd, 2014, 07:01 AM
The alternative is we have a baby naturally (all of our fertility problems have disappeared and we have had 2 children naturally). But i would like to try to have a girl via pgd....

nuthinbutpink
September 23rd, 2014, 08:13 AM
Well, if you don't try it will never work. Here's how I see it-

Anyone CAN be a OHW.
Over 35, this is more difficult and if your pretesting is below average, even more difficult. How was your pretesting?

People rarely transfer one embryo at genesis. Our pregnancy rate on here when transferring 2 embryos is around low 30%. 60% chance is not at all what we have seen from genesis on here.

It will never work if you don't try though. The odds were not with me and I still tried anyway.

If you are going to ruin yourself financially, I wouldn't cycle. If your husband is not onboard, I wouldn't cycle. It's too big of a financial risk if it doesn't work if he is not supportive.

lisvna
September 30th, 2014, 04:27 AM
I totally agree with NBP about the stats.

I cycled at Genesis and got my son on second try (after transfer of 2xx and 2xy). I wanted a girl unfortunate only a boy stuck.

My pretestings were great so at the first try he gave me 85 percent chance. After that I didn't succeed at Genesis (3 cycles more). I moved on with an other clinic and now I'm pregnant! It was on second try because first try I had a chemical pregnancy.

I know a few Dutch people who were a OHW at Genesis so it is possible but not so commen as at other clinics and at Genesis they transfer most of the times 2 or more embryos because the testing is only 5 probes and not 24 chromosomes. I think lately they offer also 24 chromosome testing but it is day 3 and from what I understand it's not accurate for gender......

Good luck with your decision!

ever hopeful
September 30th, 2014, 04:35 AM
With regards to day 3 ACGH testing, Savvas also uses FISH for Gender - he did for me anyway, when he told me that as well as the ACGH testing that had been done in Nicosia, he'd also done FISH, so it was definitely an XX. Really good luck with your decision, it's really tough one and my DH was exactly the same and I almost didn't get on the plane first time round (thinking I was insane to be considering this) but without doubt the best thing I ever did. If you don't do it, I think you could spend the next 10 years asking yourself 'what if', certainly if your desire for a DD was as strong as mine. Good luck x

lisvna
September 30th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Ever does Savvas fish testing at day 3 on top of the aCGH testing to be sure about the gender? I didn't know that.....

ever hopeful
September 30th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Lis, I don't know if he does for everyone and didn't even know he was doing it for me until transfer day. When I sat down with him before transfer and asked if he was really really sure that my fully tested embie was an XX, having read about day 3 ACGH not being 100% accurate for gender, he told me that he had also tested himself using FISH and it was definitely an XX. At that time though he didn't have facilities to do full testing in-house, but had to send away to Nicosia. So very pleased for you - you must be over the moon. xx

lisvna
September 30th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Ah oke so we have to found out for future cyclers if it's a standard procedure, it's interesting....