PDA

View Full Version : ebola

jmomof3girls
October 8th, 2014, 07:01 PM
What do you ladies think of the ebola virus here in the U.S.? I'm pretty concerned!!! I'm not sure if it's because I have small children at home or if I have a valid concern. Some nurse in Spain contracted it with a protective suit on. I'm wondering what everyone's option is on the subject.

odd
October 8th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I'm scared to death as well. Although it's far away from where we are, it's still in the same country - I'm scared for everyone..all the little kids and animals and us pregnant ladies of course.

I heard on NPR today that the nurse in Spain made the mistake of touching her face through the protective mask which resulted in her contracting ebola. Scary how fast and easily it's spreading. I'm just thankful it's only contagious through direct contact though, otherwise can you imagine the chaos?

As mean as it sounds, I really do think they need to stop all the flights from coming in and going out from W. Africa for the time being. It's only a matter of time before ebola is spread worldwide at this rate :(

jmomof3girls
October 8th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I've read that they are finding that it's much more contagious than they originally thought. It's spreading so fast in Africa that's it's scaring me. I agree with you about stopping the flights, keeping them going is putting other countries in danger.

BlessedMomma
October 8th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Its actually hard 4 the general population in a country such as the us to get ebola. It is spread thru bodily secretions, blood snot etc... and the person has to be symptomatic. It is not air borne, and it wont be spread even if u hug some1 with ebola, aslong as they arent bloody or full of mucus. So as long as u dont go around sharing needles, or hugging bloody mucusy symptomatic ppl u will b fine.

nuthinbutpink
October 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Apparently it's not that hard. The deputy that went to Duncan's apartment once he fell ill is now believed to have Ebola.

It's a virus. It's easy to catch just like any other virus. If you are traveling from Liberia, there is a risk you're bringing it to where you are going. People from Liberia aren't just traveling to the US! Ebola- coming to a country near you!!

Seems to me that if we know where it's coming from, it's pretty easy to keep it there until it is under control.

jmomof3girls
October 8th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Apparently it's not that hard. The deputy that went to Duncan's apartment once he fell I'll is now believed to have Ebola.

It's a virus. It's easy to catch just like any other virus. If you are traveling from Liberia, there is a risk you're bringing it to where you are going. People from Liberia aren't just traveling to the US! Ebola- coming to a country near you!!
Seems to me that if we know where it's coming from, it's pretty easy to keep it there until it is under control.

AGREE!!

BlessedMomma
October 8th, 2014, 09:48 PM
No its not easy to catch like any other virus. U dont just touch a person with ebola and get the virus. Like i said before u have to come in contact with a symptomatic persons blood or bodily fluids. Do ur research, dont just believe we u hear or see on the news. And it has not been confirmed at sll that the deputy has ebola. He was not feeling well and was told 2 go to the hospital to rule out the possibility because he went into patient 0s home b4 it was decontaminated. There r so many things to b afraid of, so far ebola shouldnt b one of them

nuthinbutpink
October 8th, 2014, 10:06 PM
It's the same as catching a cold- fluids or touching something that someone with ebola has touched because the virus is on their hand. It's the definition of a virus.

Plum3
October 8th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Whilst I agree that Ebola is a very frightening disease it isn't highly contagious. You have to come into direct contact with bodily fluids from an infected person who is showing symptoms.

nuthinbutpink
October 8th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Whilst I agree that Ebola is a very frightening disease it isn't highly contagious. You have to come into direct contact with bodily fluids from an infected person who is showing symptoms.

Right. Same as any virus! I agree that I am not in eminent danger but this thing is nasty and there seems to be no way to control it at the moment. Allowing people to fly from there that HAVE come into contact with it like the gentleman that just died- he helped carry a pregnant woman to a car that was infected(they did not know it) 4 days before he came to the US- ALL the people that "helped" her are dead or have ebola. They didn't have to let her sneeze in their mouths- simply touching something she has previously touched could have given them the virus. The flu isn't easy to get either but it sure spreads like wild fire each year!

BlessedMomma
October 8th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Im gonna say it one more time. It is not contagious like the common cold or flu! The person has to be symptomatic, meaning they will b feeling very ill and obviously sick. Until the person is showing symptoms they Are NOT contagious. And when this symptomatic person either bleeds on some1 or gets bodily fluids on some1such as mucus, vomit etc... then they can be infected. U can catch a cold or flu from some1 who is not exhitbing symptoms, the same is not true for ebola. U can touch a person infected hug them .unless they bleed or vomit on u, or unless u have sex with some1or share needles i would stop worrying so much.

BlessedMomma
October 8th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Do research people! Ebola is scary yeah but ur chances of getting it, or chances of it spreading in a 1st world country like the US is ridiculously small.

Plum3
October 8th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Right. Same as any virus! I agree that I am not in eminent danger but this thing is nasty and there seems to be no way to control it at the moment. Allowing people to fly from there that HAVE come into contact with it like the gentleman that just died- he helped carry a pregnant woman to a car that was infected(they did not know it) 4 days before he came to the US- ALL the people that "helped" her are dead or have ebola. They didn't have to let her sneeze in their mouths- simply touching something she has previously touched could have given them the virus. The flu isn't easy to get either but it sure spreads like wild fire each year!

I have to disagree. The US has the necessary resources and is equipped to control the disease. They have protocols in place and know how to contain the virus. From what I understand the nurse that now has Ebola changed the pad of an infected patient. It was poor hygiene that caused her to catch Ebola, it wasn't from lack of knowledge or resources.

We only hear about the people who have contracted the disease. What about the countless number of others that haven't contracted it, despite being in close proximity to infected people?

essnce629
October 9th, 2014, 12:49 AM
I agree with Blessed and I am not worried at all. The flu is WAY more contagious and I've never even gotten a flu shot and have no plans to!

Here's the facts about ebola and why no one should be panicking about an outbreak here in the U.S.
Ebola Explained: What You Should and Shouldn't Worry About | WIRED (http://www.wired.com/2014/10/ebola-virus-infection-transmission-death-explained/)

Nahri
October 9th, 2014, 02:39 AM
Im not too worried about it. They've already said the protective gear in Spain was not meant for ebola and there were places contamination could get in. Yeah its spread only through bodily secretions but if person A wiped snot on their hands and then touched your hand and you stuck your hand in your mouth... Guess what. I dont know about you ladies but If I see someone that is that ill, Im not touching anything of theirs because who knows what they wiped last before touching you! As far as the spreading. Do what other countries are doing shut down flights from those countries and EVERY country needs to do the same so they don't take a round about way and say oh I flew here from England not from Liberia. But what is the US doing... Here take this card we know you came from Libera, you dont look sick, but if you get sick within 21 days let us know THEN we will quarantine you...

atomic sagebrush
October 9th, 2014, 10:48 AM
I don't think there's any point in being snotty about it, the fact is it is a terrifying thing and two things are 100% true - viruses can and DO mutate and the strains that are more communicable are more likely to spread (so any assurance that the virus as it existed last year, month, or week isn't that contagious may not really even mean anything) and secondly, I think officials are often wrong and even more often, dishonest and that has been shown again and again.

So obviously, I would not panic but at the same time it is certainly concerning and I think absolutely ridiculous that they are letting people from the countries where it's running rampant, fly freely in and out of the US. Now the chickens have come home to roost. :/

Petal
October 9th, 2014, 10:56 AM
I agree Atomic!! x

GreaseMonkey
October 9th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I'm not worried about it, I am in one of the countries affected with Ebola and we had 1 case. The other people that have come in contact with said person were tested negative! And if the person wearing protective gear didn't wash before taking her gear off then that's how she got it. And also the sheriff, who hasn't been confirmed as having Ebola yet, if he went in the house without protective gear and has touched something then that's how he got it, if he has it. Just practice good hygiene, stay away from sick people and you will be fine :) My husband also traveled to the more affected areas in the past and he has been fine too.
I blame the hospital for the panic they caused people in the US. Duncan went to the hospital and told the nurse he just came back from W. Africa and they sent him home...BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! So, he went back to possibly infecting others :(

The Anchor
October 9th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Well I'm not losing any sleep over it...nothing in Canada yet. Officials just announced today that they will start ebola border screenings...but not cancelling flights. I'm sure that will raise some eyebrows.

Oh and thanks for the link essence!

BlessedMomma
October 9th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Sorry if i came off snotty not My intention. I know alot of ppl r freaking out thanx 2 the media and want 2 put m I nds at ease. Ebola is contracted basically the same as HIV ,so i dont want ppl to think if they r in the same room with some1 who has ebola (unlikely scenario) that they willsomehow catch it. It is not spread that easily. Anyway they r raising security in airports now (atleast in nyc where im from) temp scanners and such. So that should b a relif to some. Unfortunately they cant stopflights from comming into the us. Citizens for example cant b denied entry even if they have traveled to those certain regions in africa.

debby
October 10th, 2014, 04:37 AM
I really do not know what to think!! I am worried about it just because authorities and media often do not tell the true. Maybe it is not so easy to spread and they just want to let pharma industries make money with vaccines, or maybe be it very easy to spread and they do not want to panic too much people... I just hope it will stop very soon

Dreamofpink
October 10th, 2014, 06:23 AM
I am terrified, if truth be told. Viruses do mutate & the idea of it becoming airborne scares me silly. However, putting it into perspective helps a little. Just under 4000 have died in six months, which isn't a huge number. It's awful nonetheless & I too hope it runs it's course sooner rather than later. I remember being in hospital after just having ds2 & all the worry about swine 'flu was all over the media. I'm just not so sure that Ebola will be contained that easily :(

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

jmomof3girls
October 10th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I'm definitely feeling the same as some of you ladies!! It's nice to hear other people's opinions.

MyByC
October 11th, 2014, 04:54 PM
As far as I know, 4050 already died and it's named new "ciuma".
I do think this virus was under control in their laboratories all this time(because it has always exist), but someone wanted for this to happend and some people to die(especially in the part of world-where it all started).
Tom Frieden said, this is to be compared with SIDA and all ebola cased do multiply every 3-4 weeks(which is awful)!
They will stop it, I'm sure, but who knows when😔

atomic sagebrush
October 12th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I read that it is native to bats but doesn't kill them, and as people start to clear more land for farming and also becaue they are so hungry there that they are possibly even eating bats, that is why it keeps coming back. :/

Dreamofpink
October 12th, 2014, 09:48 AM
I think fruit bats are a delicacy in parts of West Africa :(

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

jmomof3girls
October 12th, 2014, 04:49 PM
The monkeys are very infected with ebola and they are eating the monkeys too. It's very common to eat monkeys in Africa. They call it bush meat.

ronahehabi
October 12th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Hi,
Here is part of some of the info. I was given at the hospital I work at here in Australia. Hope it helps.

When an infection does occur in humans, the virus can be spread in several ways to others. Ebola is spread through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes in, for example, the eyes, nose, or mouth) with
*blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, breast milk, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola
*objects (like needles and syringes) that have been contaminated with the virus
*infected animals
*Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, by food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with
infected bats. There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys, and apes) have shown the ability to become
infected with and spread Ebola virus.

Healthcare providers caring for Ebola patients and the family and friends in close contact with Ebola patients are at the highest risk of getting sick because they may come in contact with infected blood or body fluids of sick patients.

During outbreaks of Ebola, the disease can spread quickly within healthcare settings (such as a clinic or hospital). Exposure to Ebola can occur in healthcare settings where hospital staff are not wearing appropriate protective equipment, including masks, gowns, and gloves and eye protection.

jmomof3girls
October 14th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks for sharing!!! :happy:

jmomof3girls
October 15th, 2014, 01:12 PM
3 healthcare workers have gotten ebola with a protective suit on ( 1 in Spain, 2 in Dallas) that's pretty scary!!!!

True Blue
October 15th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I think it must be transmitted easier than is being published. I would be very surprised if this many healthcare workers were not practicing correct hygiene procedures.

jmomof3girls
October 15th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I think it must be transmitted easier than is being published. I would be very surprised if this many healthcare workers were not practicing correct hygiene procedures.

EXACTLY!

Rosie85
October 15th, 2014, 01:21 PM
The nurse who traveled when she should have been on quarantine should lose her license. Just ridiculous and selfish she did that.

As far as them contracting with suits on...they admitted the protective wear is basically negated because they breached protocol when taking them off and they weren't full suits either so they were never fully protected.

The fact that the family who was with duncan while he was sick in a small apartment didn't get sick is reassuring.

True Blue
October 15th, 2014, 01:27 PM
It's amazing how, while treating something so very serious, people are being neglectful like that. Just dumbfounding.

nuthinbutpink
October 15th, 2014, 02:19 PM

Well, one would think so but today it was reported that "tape" was involved because they did not have correct gear AND his samples-blood- were sent via the same manner as ALL other patients for testing while in the hospital!! Epic fail by them and the cdc.

gizmo77
October 15th, 2014, 04:51 PM

I am actually not surprised by healthcare providers not practicing correct hygiene procedures. I Used to work in hospitals & nursing homes & there were patients who had many infections, including MRSA in the nares, TB quarantined. THere are a lot of confident healthcare practitioners out there that just think they've been working this long and haven't gotten anything yet, why would they get this disease now? I was actually shocked to see nurses walking into patients rooms without any protective gear (s lot if their excuses were I'm just dropping this off or picking this up. They would walk in and out. But some would actually touch the patient...no gloves. Laziness? Meanwhile it would take me about five minutes to cover myself head to toe. They would ignore me or look at me funny and I would just say I have small kids at home. Just because youre a healthcare worker doesn't mean you're any smarter than the general public, no matter what you're training is.

atomic sagebrush
October 16th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I am actually not surprised by healthcare providers not practicing correct hygiene procedures. I Used to work in hospitals & nursing homes & there were patients who had many infections, including MRSA in the nares, TB quarantined. THere are a lot of confident healthcare practitioners out there that just think they've been working this long and haven't gotten anything yet, why would they get this disease now? I was actually shocked to see nurses walking into patients rooms without any protective gear (s lot if their excuses were I'm just dropping this off or picking this up. They would walk in and out. But some would actually touch the patient...no gloves. Laziness? Meanwhile it would take me about five minutes to cover myself head to toe. They would ignore me or look at me funny and I would just say I have small kids at home. Just because youre a healthcare worker doesn't mean you're any smarter than the general public, no matter what you're training is.

:agree: 1 zillion percent and there are tons of studies that show health care workers do not follow hte necessary protocols the majority of the time (which is why you are told, when you go into the hospital, to remind your health care workers to wash their hands if they don't (!) And let's not forget this WHOLE thing would have been avoided if the hospital would have listened to the dude in the first place when he's saying "I"m from West Africa and have a mysterious fever" instead of sending him home with antibiotics, they could have gotten him to Emory where they are set up to handle it. I mean really, that's a huge glaring medical mistake right there which thankfully no one else seems to have been affected by that one. Probably cost him his life, though.

My understanding is that the nurses in question were doing some procedures that are really super risky and that they didn't even HAVE the right gear to use. So the first nurse, I really don't think has any blame in it even though they're trying to pin it on her. This second nurse I think was extremely selfish in her behavior and I think we should just hope and pray no one else is affected by it - although I sure don't feel like they're being very proactive about it.

Rosie85
October 16th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I just really doubt her being on the plane would make anyone else sick. From my research I understand Ebola to a RO-2 meaning for every new case that 1 person only infects up to another 2 people. This is the same Ro as HIV. In comparison something like the measles has a RO-18. It is not as easy to catch ebola as it looks. Those nurses were working directly with vomit and feces and they were full of blood because he was already end stage...when it is most contagious besides being dead. They didn't follow protocol and were not fully protected. Like I said before since nobody in Duncan's family got sick is highly highly unlikely anyone else will besides the healthcare workers who were under-protected. I believe they will be able to contain this even if we see a few more cases. The idea here is to ban flights so we prevent another uncontrolled case from coming in. If we do that than we can hold it out long enough to produce more meds/vaccines which are effective.

MyByC
October 17th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Russia got the vaccin already but they say they are testing it. But what do you think about the fact that Germany got 1 case and after 2 weeks that person went home cured! Those people are sooo good in everything!
A scientist appeared today and said he does researches for 11 years on ebola and he says, he has prooves that ebola has mutations to be transmitted throw air 😳😳😳
I dont understand WHY they let it kill so many people! I'm sure they can stop it but they dont do it!