PDA

View Full Version : To sew or not to sew!

purplepoet20
October 10th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I know this may seem like a silly time to think about this but while I have collected girls clothing for over 4y's now (from play groups and friends). I have been waiting to sew girls clothing with some very special fabric... My great grandma used to sew dresses for me from before I was was born until she passed away while I was still very young. A few weeks before she passed she bought a white fabric with bright strawberries all over it. I was given the fabric and have held onto it all these years. I have planned so many things I could sew with it but never made anything because I wanted to know for sure I was having a girl.

Should I sew at least 1 little baby outfit? and maybe place that under my bed?

....I am currently in the 2ww!

purplepoet20
October 10th, 2014, 02:29 PM
:crawl:

mommymachine
October 10th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I bought pink yarn right before I got pregnant with DD1. So I was able to use it pretty quickly:)

I Love Ladybugs
October 10th, 2014, 03:45 PM
How many yards of fabric did she give you? Can you post a pic? I have some ideas rumbling around since I read your entry this am, and will elaborate more after you answer!

purplepoet20
October 10th, 2014, 04:00 PM
It's about 2 yards.

It is like t-shirt fabric... I wanted to use it for a dress. This fabric for skirt and bodice. Then red for waist band, shoulder straps, and undies (with strawberry ruffles). Maybe save some red fabric to add ruffles as "she" grows. (my kids are mostly skinny and wear some clothing for years)

Or I thought use red for the main part of dress and the strawberry fabric for the straps and waist.

also... I thought of making a simple onies for going home from hospital. if I get preg now then we are looking at the end of June and it is in the 100's here until the beginning of Oct.

It's such a simple fabric but to me it means more then I can explain.

purplepoet20
October 10th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I also have vintage fabrics, some that were leftover from my dresses, and some I have bought in the last ten years. Some of them I saved to use as wallpaper for a doll house.

I love little dresses with ruffles, lace, ribbons, and bows.

I Love Ladybugs
October 10th, 2014, 04:46 PM
It is such a delightful fabric, and I understand how it contains love, memories and a future all in 2 yards of cloth. I adore strawberries and the memories that I have ingrained in my heart with them...plus I have about 1.5 yards of sweet bunny fabric that waited 10 years for my little girl. In fact, I am just now deciding how to use it, thinking a jumper that will function as a shirt next summer.

Ok, back to you and what to do with the strawberry fabric....I would sew up the first creation that utilizes that fabric and enjoy the good memories you have of your great-grandma and the potential for the future little girl. The way I look at it is....you might not have a girl here on earth, but if that fabric sits forever unused, you lost on the enjoyment of remembering your great-grandma. I have to hope that you will have a wee pink bundle next June who will sport a fantastic wardrobe made by mommy!!!!

purplepoet20
October 10th, 2014, 04:54 PM
My materal grandma grew strawberries in her back yard only for me, she had 20 grandkids then, but we came to see her every weekend.

Maybe I will sew something on Tuesday... DH wouldn't understand sewing ahead of time. And I need to go look at all my girly patterns. Maybe I will sew somethings for the boys this weekend to clear my head. The boys need sun hats before DS3 birthday party in a week.

I don't want to be the person who only sews for a girl and not the other children.

I Love Ladybugs
October 10th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I am just learning to sew, but I have a goal of making blankets/quilts for my kids. Make something great for the boys and reward yourself Tuesday with the sweet strawberry fabric and a dress pattern.

purplepoet20
October 10th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Some of my mothers family used to sew simple things like skirts. I tried to learn from my mother but it didn't take long before I realized she didn't know much. She made curtains and it was a mess and curtain are straight lines. Not long after I moved in with my husband he needed to repair some pants. So he went and bought me a sewing machine. The only thing I knew how to do then was patchwork on pants with the button attachment.

After that I slowly got into it. Messed up a few times but learned. That was only in 2007. Since then I have sewn 12 sun dresses for my nieces, shorts for nephew and my boys, cloth diaper covers, nursing pillow covers, winter hats, highchair cover (yesterday), and a lot of repairs on children's clothing. I loved the sundresses the most because I have 3 nieces (2 from bro and 1 from bro-in-law) and they have different taste. I sew sweet pale colors for bro's kids and funking Hippy stuff for other niece.

I recently got a ruffle attachment to use for dresses but I used it first on my self to make a Christmas apron... need to finish that when I find my red thread that DS3 hid recently!

I Love Ladybugs
October 10th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Lol, my mom quilts and can sew too, but really enjoys the handwork and stitching after piecing it together. My sister is the sewing fiend and I dare not make something for those nieces as it will be pulled apart and redone if it is not good enough.

My initial sewing was with mending too, but I have progressed and made various items and recently did French seams :)

I Love Ladybugs
October 10th, 2014, 07:15 PM
That is quite the list and takes talent!!!! It is amazing how skills like sewing can transform our homes!!!

Some of my mothers family used to sew simple things like skirts. I tried to learn from my mother but it didn't take long before I realized she didn't know much. She made curtains and it was a mess and curtain are straight lines. Not long after I moved in with my husband he needed to repair some pants. So he went and bought me a sewing machine. The only thing I knew how to do then was patchwork on pants with the button attachment.

After that I slowly got into it. Messed up a few times but learned. That was only in 2007. Since then I have sewn 12 sun dresses for my nieces, shorts for nephew and my boys, cloth diaper covers, nursing pillow covers, winter hats, highchair cover (yesterday), and a lot of repairs on children's clothing. I loved the sundresses the most because I have 3 nieces (2 from bro and 1 from bro-in-law) and they have different taste. I sew sweet pale colors for bro's kids and funking Hippy stuff for other niece.

I recently got a ruffle attachment to use for dresses but I used it first on my self to make a Christmas apron... need to finish that when I find my red thread that DS3 hid recently!

purplepoet20
October 10th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I forgot to mention pillows... for my mother in law and her new retirement house. Just made a new set for her yesterday as a birthday gift.

I am going to sew some roman blinds for our next house. I hope to someday quilt but I may only do it once. My God mother made quilts for my boys but I want to make one for my own bed. I presonnal think that quilt takes more work then clothing a dress for me takes an hour but a quilt might take days or a week.

I Love Ladybugs
October 10th, 2014, 07:53 PM
I have a feeling that my 3 quilts will be the only 3 I do for a long while, but it is nice to make something for them that I have made. My DS1 is so excited that I have a blanket being created for him!!! Nice going on the pillows, that is a project for our living room that I need to tackle!!!

1+2+3boys
October 11th, 2014, 05:45 AM
Nice to see a post about sewing. I started this year after many years of wanting to learn. I was going to learn if my last pregnancy was a girl but no such luck but decided to anyway. I got heaps of lovely fabric after the all revealing scan but never had time to use it. It wasn't the same as buying girl stuff and it stung but I feel like I had to make something for the boys and I could only sew for my 'girl'
How nice to have such a sentimental thing and what a lovely piece of fabric it is at that. I'd use that for a boy but I am one who likes to avoid gender stereotypes and if it was saved for a hoped for girl then I too would be hesitant to use it. Have you thought of making something pretty but unisex? Peter Rabbit clothes for babies are awesome for that. Frills and poofs for little boys and they look gorgeous in them :)

atomic sagebrush
October 11th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I think that's one of the things only you can answer - with my first two, I could have sewed anything girl related and not had any GD when they came out boys (because I wanted a larger family and just figured there'd be a girl in the mix somewhere) but with my 3rd/4th boy, I think it would have aggravated it.

purplepoet20
October 14th, 2014, 09:16 AM
1+2+3boys
We do not genderize anything. My almost 7yo loves the movie Frozen. 4yo love Little Mermaid. My boys have Waldorf dolls that they play house or shopping with.
but
Where I live people are very mean about calling kids gay or telling the parents there kid will be gay. I know my fabrics are either super girly or super boyish. I try to keep things simple in public... I have so much fabric I dont want to buy anymore until I use what I have.

purplepoet20
October 14th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I chickened out and I am currently halfway done with a lil outfit... Strawberry Shortcake Fabric (1990's) with some medium blue fabric. Sewing a 12mth sun shirt and shorts with ruffles. I may sew a hat or headband.

I was thinking of sewing something I know I would love and then sell it... maybe then I will have a girl!

1+2+3boys
October 15th, 2014, 04:28 AM
THat's a shame people have to be like that. I think sometimes it can help to sew girl things to keep your eye on the goal and that it still could happen and at other times it is not so helpful. I'd love to see what you make if you are up to sharing :) I'd love for their to be a sewers thread to share their things. I have no time to sew at the mo and have so much I want to do but will have the time soon once twins settle into Kindy and spring clean is done

1+2+3boys
October 15th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Sorry about my grammar! Tired from caring for sick DS1

I Love Ladybugs
October 15th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Don't think of it as chickening out, just as postponing the use of the special fabric for another day! I too would love to see what you create...esp. with both the Strawberry Shortcake and vintage fabric!!!

1+2+3boys
January 18th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Hi, did you do anything with the fabric? I'd love to know.
I have decided "F it!" I am going to sew girls things if I feel like it. It sucks not being able to and it feels good to just do it anyway. I feel better when I have hope that a girl is still a possibility. If I don't have one then I can give it to my Sister. For some reason I just know she will have a girl. There is my brother too who may have one. But I think something with a really special memory like the fabric you speak of, I'd sew it into what you always wanted to and if you never get your little girl you can still hold onto it and it will always be a great memory but look even better as a clothing item than an unused sheet. I can picture myself in many years to come having something like that kept away even if I never have a girl but looking at it alone as my secret dream that never came to be. I'd hug that little dress imagining the daughter I never had then put it and my dreams of her back in the closet.