PDA

View Full Version : Microsort?

JackiesHope
January 4th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Dr Potter,

Can you tell me which genetic diseases qualify for using Microsort?

Can someone use Microsort if they want to screen for BRCA gene?

Dr. Potter
January 5th, 2011, 02:13 AM
That is a great question. Because men with BRCA also have an increased risk for breast cancer, I do not believe so. A better approach would be IVF-PGD with GSN 24 and single gene screening. This would allow you to select embryos that were unaffected.

JackiesHope
January 5th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Thank you Dr Potter.

Do you have the same success results with IVF-PGD GSN 24 as with MS/IVF/PGD? I'm doing this mainly for gender selection.

Dr. Potter
January 13th, 2011, 11:35 PM
That is a great question. Because men with BRCA also have an increased risk for breast cancer, I do not believe so. A better approach would be IVF-PGD with GSN 24 and single gene screening. This would allow you to select embryos that were unaffected.In patients that are likely to have a big response to the stims (i.e. lots of eggs), I think the benefit of MicroSort is diminished. In patients with 10-12 eggs or less, the success rate is going to be higher with MS because there will be fewer 'no transfer' cases.

JackiesHope
January 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM
In patients that are likely to have a big response to the stims (i.e. lots of eggs), I think the benefit of MicroSort is diminished. In patients with 10-12 eggs or less, the success rate is going to be higher with MS because there will be fewer 'no transfer' cases.

Since Microsort would be of benefit for low responders, should I look into doing an MS IVF cycle in Mexico where Microsort is still accepting patients? I would hate to spend so much money on an IVF/PGD cycle in the United States and end up with no transfer (or is that pretty rare?)

Which would you advise? I'm so torn.

nuthinbutpink
January 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I think you have to be comfortable with having a procedure done in another country other than your native one. Would you travel anywhere to have any procedure done especially a third world country? I think there is some affiliation with GIVF as far as the MicroSort part but I am really not clear on any of those details as to how Mexico even ended up with a MS machine...perhaps Dr Potter knows and knows what if any the affiliation is with a US clinic and what that means exactly- are the overseen by anybody...certainly wouldn't be by the FDA since it is in Mexico.

Can you even find information on other patients that have gone to Mexico and actually used MS? If so, I would love to be able to ask them questions. Let me know please.

JackiesHope
January 18th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Gender Selection is the only reason I'm looking into Microsort. Since family balancing applications are closed, and since Microsort is being so vague on if we can use it for genetic reasons, it seems like the only way I could do Microsort is in Mexico.

I admit I am nervous going to Mexico just for Microsort but I also don't want to end up with a no transfer.

I hope Dr Potter can answer this question about Microsort in Mexico because it seems like it would be my only option. Does Dr Potter know about the Mexican Microsort clinic? Do they offer the same service?

Liv
January 18th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Jackie- Have you consulted with Dr. P yet?

Dr. Potter
January 18th, 2011, 10:13 PM
In patients that are likely to have a big response to the stims (i.e. lots of eggs), I think the benefit of MicroSort is diminished. In patients with 10-12 eggs or less, the success rate is going to be higher with MS because there will be fewer 'no transfer' cases.The only problem with that is doing IVF in Mexico. I think I would take my chances in the US, probably more 'no pregnancy' cases down there but the choice is yours.

Dr. Potter
January 18th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Since Microsort would be of benefit for low responders, should I look into doing an MS IVF cycle in Mexico where Microsort is still accepting patients? I would hate to spend so much money on an IVF/PGD cycle in the United States and end up with no transfer (or is that pretty rare?)

Which would you advise? I'm so torn.The MicroSort patent does not apply to Mexico. I can't really tell you much about the clinic. It is not part of the clinical trial. The FDA does not supervise this clinic.

Dr. Potter
January 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Gender Selection is the only reason I'm looking into Microsort. Since family balancing applications are closed, and since Microsort is being so vague on if we can use it for genetic reasons, it seems like the only way I could do Microsort is in Mexico.

I admit I am nervous going to Mexico just for Microsort but I also don't want to end up with a no transfer.

I hope Dr Potter can answer this question about Microsort in Mexico because it seems like it would be my only option. Does Dr Potter know about the Mexican Microsort clinic? Do they offer the same service?BRCA is not a sex-linked genetic disease. The mutations for BRCA1 and BRCA2 are located on chromosomes 17 and 13 repsectively and so would not be prevented by using MicroSort. BRCA predisposes men to cancer as well. IVF-GSN24+single gene would be the only way to prevent or even reduce transmission.

JackiesHope
January 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM
The MicroSort patent does not apply to Mexico. I can't really tell you much about the clinic. It is not part of the clinical trial. The FDA is does not supervise this clinic.

Oh thank you for your response Dr Potter. I just was researching Microsort and came across the Mexico website. I thought this clinic was part of Microsort and using the Microsort technology. As someone mentioned the clinic has association with GIVF.

Is this Mexican clinic just a copycat clinic ? (using something similar to Microsort but not Microsort? like CGH vs. GSN?)

I am so afraid of no transfer scenario as I'm older. If I only get 6-8 eggs and 1/2 are abnormals and 1/2 are the wrong sex, then that only leaves me with 2, 1 or 0 girls.

So your advice would be its better to do IVF in the US and risk no transfer than do IVF in Mexico with Microsorting and have desired embryos but no pregnancy?

JackiesHope
January 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM
BRCA is not a sex-linked genetic disease. The mutations for BRCA1 and BRCA2 are located on chromosomes 17 and 13 repsectively and so would not be prevented by using MicroSort. BRCA predisposes men to cancer as well. IVF-GSN24+single gene would be the only way to prevent or even reduce transmission.

Dr Potter, I have heard some ladies were approved to do Microsort at your clinic for genetic reasons to prevent Autism. Is this true?

If so, I was not aware that autism was a sex-linked genetic disease and I'm wondering why exceptions were made for MS for autism, but would not be made for BRCA?

nuthinbutpink
January 19th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Dr Potter- to give you background of what Jackie is referring to, there was a poster on IG with the username disabilitydecisions that said she was qualified under the genetic part of MS for free sorts due to autism. Here is the thread with her details. http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/p/206014/1983439.aspx#1983439

Jackie is mistaken though because she was doing this at GIVF not HRC.

JackiesHope
January 24th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Jackie is mistaken though because she was doing this at GIVF not HRC.

oh, sorry. I thought it was at HRC. Thank you for clarifying.

Still I find it odd that some patients can use Microsort for Autism when it is not a sex-linked disease (and also girls get autism just like some men can get breast cancer).

I suppose if it would be possible to use Microsort at GIVF for genetic balance due to BRCA, that would help, but I'm curious why HRC would not offer the same program.