PDA

View Full Version : Is my gyecologist rigth

Dynazyme
October 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
We are ttc for some months now. So I decided to see my gynecologist today.

OPK was not really positive yesterday (faint) line. Today at 11 pm it was positive and I had a sharp pain at about 2 pm.

The doctor did the sonography at 6 pm and he said that ovulation already occurred and that my chances for a pregnancy are very very low if we have an attempt now!!!! 😞
Is he right? I thought that the egg survives 6 to 24 hours?

Anyway, we had an attempt 😍

nuthinbutpink
October 23rd, 2014, 03:16 PM
Odds are just highest if you make an attempt BEFORE ovulation. You can still get pregnant with an attempt after though.

Dynazyme
October 23rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
Okay, thanks.
I am so confused because he said that like it is IMPOSSIBLE.....

bluebonnet22
October 23rd, 2014, 03:26 PM
Yes, it's not impossible but odds are low because you want the sperm to be ready to "jump on" the egg already. I think it's less than 15% but don't quote me on that.

Dynazyme
October 23rd, 2014, 03:48 PM
Maybe that's why we are having lots of BFNs! 😢

covered in blue
October 23rd, 2014, 04:05 PM
Why don't you switch to every 3-4 day? That way you are always in with a chance. The stats are very good with it for pink also.

carmella_marie
October 23rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
O pains are not a good indicator of o as they can happen days before or after o. Opks are slightly different for each woman: some people get a +OPK 48 hours or more before o, some get a +OPK only hours before O. Some women the positives stick around for 2-3 days, others only get a positive for a few hours. The egg can live up to 24 hours but typically only lives 6-12 hours. If the gynecologist saw that you already ovulated at 6 pm then they won't know if you ovulated 2 hours ago or 12 hours ago but likely the egg is gone. Your best chance of conception is before o.

maidentomother
October 23rd, 2014, 08:36 PM
Chances are low but not impossible. On average, the egg lasts only about 12 hours after O and sperm can take up 24 hours to capacitate and be capable of fertilization. So as carmella said, in advance is much better, and ultrasound isn't capable of pinpointing exactly how long ago you Oed. Still, maybe you JUST Oed before the appt and your eggs are exceptionally long lived and DH's sperm capacitate very quickly inside you. Fx.

maidentomother
October 23rd, 2014, 08:52 PM
Oh, I am or was very fertile (got pregnant multiple times from single attempts 4-6 days before O while trying to AVOID pregnancy), but while actively TTC last Winter/Spring, 2/4 cycles I had only one attempt on O day and the other, only oe attempt the day after O), and I usually O around 2am), and neither time did I conceive. Like you, I often O within several hours of my first positive OPK, with no/little advance warning bc my OPKs were faint right up until they suddenly turned dark. Very annoying! So I then switched to every 4 days. OPKs don't work well for me and the ones here in Europe are especially bad quality, showing blank/faint second lines most of the time and then suddenly a medium dark but not true positive second line - but that's what my positive looks like, I don't get dark second lines on European OPK strips.

I just started using a CB fertility monitor last cycle and I got it too late in my cycle (10 days before O) to use it properly, but it did give me 2 days of High fertility before 2 days of Peak fertility and I Oed either 1 or 2 days after the first Peak. I am hoping it will give me at least as much warning this cycle too, bc I will be TTC next cycle.

atomic sagebrush
October 24th, 2014, 12:43 PM
We are ttc for some months now. So I decided to see my gynecologist today.

OPK was not really positive yesterday (faint) line. Today at 11 pm it was positive and I had a sharp pain at about 2 pm.

The doctor did the sonography at 6 pm and he said that ovulation already occurred and that my chances for a pregnancy are very very low if we have an attempt now!!!! ��
Is he right? I thought that the egg survives 6 to 24 hours?

Anyway, we had an attempt ��

Your "sharp pain" does not mean anything. O pain is a very poor predictor of when you ovulated.

He doesn't know when O occured, he's just telling you that having sex after ovulation is a cruddy way to get pregnant and I totally agree with him. Still, have attempt anyway, just in case he's wrong.

The egg DOES NOT really survive 24 hours. That is an error being reported as fact, because when people are using natural family planning to prevent pregnancy, they operate under the idea that eggs might possibly (under totally ideal conditions and with a super duper healthy egg) potentially survive up to 24 hours - since they do not want to get pregnant, they err on the side of absolute caution and 24 hours is the amount of time no egg will ever still be alive. For whatever reason, the other swaying sites misinterpret that into meaning that eggs like 24 hours (they don't).

You guys need to be in with attempt BEFORE ovulation. That's all there is to it. If you want to get pg, err on the side of attempting before O, not waiting till after (even if that wasn't your intention)

atomic sagebrush
October 24th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Okay, thanks.
I am so confused because he said that like it is IMPOSSIBLE.....

I think he is basing what he said on what he saw on the ultrasound and it may very well be impossible. YOu are going off of some random "sharp pain" you felt and assuming that was ovulation, but there is absolutely no way to know if it was.

atomic sagebrush
October 24th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Maybe that's why we are having lots of BFNs! ��

If you've been waiting till after ovulation to have an atttempt, then yes, that is almost certainly PART of why you are gettin BFN

MyByC
October 24th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I get monitored every month for my O. Last month I had terrible pains 1 days before and the folicles were at their biggest size, then went the next morning and the foliclces still there at same size(my pains did not left me over night or that next morning)...then suddenly the pains left me at 2 after noon and never came back..Monday morning went for eco and the O already ocured soooo in conclusion, it happend when the pain stopped (I guess).
Each women is different. I believe monitoring O is the best for a higher chance of getting pg.
Good luck!

Dynazyme
October 26th, 2014, 02:30 AM
Thanks a million for all your competent and detailes answers.
I actually did not know that the chances are so low to get pregnant after ovulation (even a few hours). Did actually anybody get pregnant with O+12!!?!?!? (not that I rely on that theory)

My gyn recommended to monitor my next cycles that we can catch the egg next time!! :happy:
I am so happy that I went to my gyn otherwise we would dtd too late each cycle!!!

bluebonnet22
October 26th, 2014, 08:09 AM
So ignore the fact that this link is associated with the "OV-watch" fertility monitor

OV-Watch Fertility Predictor - American Pregnancy Association (http://americanpregnancy.org/getting-pregnant/ov-watch-fertility-predictor/)

I think the stats it has are relatively accurate. You have a 5% chance of conception on ovulation day. So, no, it's not "impossible" (although as atomic said it's hard to know in your individual case if your gynecologist had information we don't have about exactly when you ovulated). 5% is just extremely low and if your attempts have typically been on ovulation day, I do think that's why you haven't gotten pregnant yet. Odds jump up to 26% chance of conception day before ovulation and 28% for 2 days before. If you use OPK and DTD at a positive OPK, you'll nearly always fall in that 26-28% range rather than 5%.

Dynazyme
October 26th, 2014, 09:28 AM
So ignore the fact that this link is associated with the "OV-watch" fertility monitor

OV-Watch Fertility Predictor - American Pregnancy Association (http://americanpregnancy.org/getting-pregnant/ov-watch-fertility-predictor/)

I think the stats it has are relatively accurate. You have a 5% chance of conception on ovulation day. So, no, it's not "impossible" (although as atomic said it's hard to know in your individual case if your gynecologist had information we don't have about exactly when you ovulated). 5% is just extremely low and if your attempts have typically been on ovulation day, I do think that's why you haven't gotten pregnant yet. Odds jump up to 26% chance of conception day before ovulation and 28% for 2 days before. If you use OPK and DTD at a positive OPK, you'll nearly always fall in that 26-28% range rather than 5%.

Thanks a lot for that information!
To be honest I feel a bit relieved! I guess I missed the egg cycle by cycle! I hope it was just bad timing. All the other stuff like lining looks perfect due to my gyn. But he told me had can't pinpoint my ovulation. Maybe it was one day ago or I ovulated while sitting in his waiting room...
We will have a look at my hormons on the beginning of my next cycle and monitor my next ovulation.

Nahri
October 26th, 2014, 12:41 PM
have you been taking your basal temp? That may help you to pin down your cycle a bit more if needed.

atomic sagebrush
October 27th, 2014, 03:23 PM
SEveral of us have had O pains that actually stopped at ovulation. :agree: thanks for sharing.

atomic sagebrush
October 27th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks a million for all your competent and detailes answers.
I actually did not know that the chances are so low to get pregnant after ovulation (even a few hours). Did actually anybody get pregnant with O+12!!?!?!? (not that I rely on that theory)

My gyn recommended to monitor my next cycles that we can catch the egg next time!! :happy:
I am so happy that I went to my gyn otherwise we would dtd too late each cycle!!!

I think anyone who thinks they got pg with O+12 are lying or mistaken. I really, really do and this is based on my experience swaying on IG where people would get BFN after BFN on O+12, then add a cutoff and suddenly conceive that month. Full explanation of the various types of "O+12 boosters" in this htread http://genderdreaming.com/forum/trying-conceive-girl/35539-no-12-a.html

atomic sagebrush
October 27th, 2014, 03:27 PM

Yes even day of ovulation is (pardon my French) piss-poor odds of conception, which is why blue swayers trying Shettles were going on so long getting BFN while we have outstanding rates of conception for blue!!!

maidentomother
October 30th, 2014, 10:22 AM
My temp goes up only after my O pains have finished, most months. Not in hyper O months.

Dynazyme
October 31st, 2014, 06:26 AM
Yes I monitor my temperature. Last cycle was quite good to analyze. On CD11 I had a drop and from CD12 it clearly increased (on cd 17 I had a strong decrease, I guess it was an estrogen surge).
This cycle is not that good to analyze because I was sick and I had to take antibitics. However I am not sure I antibitics influence my bbt.
https://www.mynfp.de/display/view/cgyvw7cdnxt8/

maidentomother
November 10th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Antibiotics shouldn't affect your BBT, but if your infection had fever that could. But looking at your chart, I don't think your BBT was altered; to me it seems obvious you Oed on CD14 this month...but what CD did you get the ultraschall?

Dynazyme
November 14th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Antibiotics shouldn't affect your BBT, but if your infection had fever that could. But looking at your chart, I don't think your BBT was altered; to me it seems obvious you Oed on CD14 this month...but what CD did you get the ultraschall?

Thanks for your answer! My doctor told me on CD 11 that I already ovulated!! So the temperature does not make really sense!
BTW, I had a BFN anyway .... 😒

atomic sagebrush
November 15th, 2014, 01:13 PM
This chart is exhibit A that charting is not always reliable for pinpointing day of O!! I would never have looked at that chart and put day of O before CD 11!! WOW! thanks for posting

maidentomother
November 15th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Your dr could have been wrong; maybe he saw the corpus luteum from your previous cycle and based on that believed you had Oed already. But it's also possible to have a slow temp rise.

I am sorry about the BFN. But now that you know to BD sooner I bet you will conceive very soon.

Dynazyme
November 16th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Well maybe he was wrong, but I really do not think so. He is very experienced.

This cycle I had an ultrasound on CD7 and he said the follicle is quite big and he expects it to burst in CD9/10!!!! We had and attempt CD8 in the morning. And we will have one more on CD12, so BD every 4d. ☺

maidentomother
November 17th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Yay! Fx the timing is perfect.