PDA

View Full Version : PCOS, taking the pill for a year before cycling?

chocolate
November 9th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Hi, I was hoping for some advice. I am 30 years old, I have Pcos and hoping to do cycle 2 in a year or so. In the meantim, would it ruin my chances to go on a pill to control my pcos symptoms? They seemed to be under control until I started St Johns Wort which triggered acne, so I have stopped this for 6 weeks but the acne continues, cycles are between 28 and 32 days.
I am thinking about taking the pill to stop the acne and hopefully make me feel less hormonal too, but will this mean I won't respond as well when I start a ivf cycle?
And which pills are best?

Thanks for any advice from anyone

atomic sagebrush
November 9th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Could you look into Spirolactone? I think that is generally better for acne than the pill (the pill GAVE me acne!)

chocolate
November 9th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I did a google on it but was unsure, decided to take Yasmin and see what happens, and hope it doesn't jeopardise how I respond, when we are ready for ivf. Would like for my hormones to be controlled to see if it makes me feel less stressed out and gets my pco symptoms under control

atomic sagebrush
November 11th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Good luck! Hope Dr. P chimes in soon. :)

Dr. Potter
November 12th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Hello Chocolate,

It will not ruin your chances to go on the pill to control your PCOS Symptoms.
For the symptoms, consider a low carb diet, exercise and possibly metformin.
Finally, no. Taking the pill will not mean you won't respond as well when you start your cycle.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dr. P

chocolate
November 15th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the reply, its reassuring to know it won't change our chances and I am working on eating a bit better and low gi, thank you

chocolate
January 2nd, 2015, 07:58 AM
Hi, Atomic the spirolactone you mentioned, I'm thinking about trying that as Yasmin hasn't helped with acne break outs and I feel up and down in moods still. Does anyone know if I need to stop taking it for cycling, or only if I get pregnant? Bit worried to stop it and then start again if the cycle doesn't work, thanks

atomic sagebrush
January 2nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
most recommend stopping spirolactone 6 weeks before you plan a pregnancy. You can always restart it if need be, if (heaven forbid) cycle doesn' work out.