PDA

View Full Version : At home SA Kit

djmommy
November 14th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Has anyone's DH done an at home sperm analysis kit? If so which one? What were the results? Are they accurate? I am in my 9th month TTC and I had an HSG done last month and found out I had blocked tubes but supposedly they were able to open the left. I took clomid this past cycle but everyone was sick so I didn't feel like we even had a good chance. DH thinks he is fine, which he very well may be and he doesn't want to go to an office and have it done. So if I am not preggo I was wondering if I should get one to make sure there are no other issues before taking clomid again.

nuthinbutpink
November 14th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Why wouldn't you first have a dye test to see if your tubes are open!?

The SA at the clinic is not that expensive. If go with the real test but I'd start back with you first since the obvious issue of blocked tubes may not be corrected! Even if it is, if only one tube is open, you may only have a chance every other month.

djmommy
November 14th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I already had the dye test done (HSG) which cost me $1000 and they were able to open the left tube. It is not a financial issue with DH it is an annoying male ego issue. We have 2 boys and he thinks all is fine with him of course.

atomic sagebrush
November 14th, 2014, 09:51 AM
personally I would do it in a heartbeat. I even thought of suggesting it to you. There has been a half-dozen times on here where a swayer I was working with went on and on tweaking this and that only to find out it was DH all along.

nuthinbutpink
November 14th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I would do the home test and if it is questionable then make him go do a real one.

Are you being monitored on clomid to see where the follicles are, etc?

djmommy
November 14th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks! I am going to order it. I never imagined my 3rd would take so long. First two happened so quick!! I am not being monitored, I only have on OB and she doesn't monitor.

atomic sagebrush
November 14th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I would do the home test and if it is questionable then make him go do a real one.

Are you being monitored on clomid to see where the follicles are, etc?

:agree: yes that is what I meant. AT least you'll have grounds for having him do one.

djmommy
November 14th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I don't see what the big deal is! I mean I have had everything and everyone up there!! LOL Men!!

nuthinbutpink
November 14th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks! I am going to order it. I never imagined my 3rd would take so long. First two happened so quick!! I am not being monitored, I only have on OB and she doesn't monitor.

Go to a real doctor. If you want to get pregnant and have blocked tubes, you need to SEE if you even have a chance based on where the follicle is that month!! What if the left is not doing anything?? You're just wasting time. Be your own advocate and get proper help.

djmommy
November 14th, 2014, 11:51 AM
So you think I should make an appt with an RE? Man, I am not sure my insurance covers it.:(

nuthinbutpink
November 14th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Yes! I think the fact that your doctor just have you clomid and a "good luck" is absurd. You need to KNOW what your body is doing! With one tube you must know if the ovary is even responding each month! Your OB can monitor you but doesn't sound like he/she is really invested in your outcome. Clomid is no magic bullet. Time is wasting. Your fertility is compromised and you simply have to know what is going on with your body month to month!

What if that ovary never makes a follicle? How would you ever know?

djmommy
November 14th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Yes, I have to agree. Thanks for the info. I actually called an RE for a consult. Hoping insurance covers something, Waiting for a call back.

maidentomother
November 17th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I very much agree with NBP's wise comments!

djmommy
November 17th, 2014, 08:11 AM
So I am supposed to see an RE this morning. I have an appt scheduled and I am just hoping my insurance covers something. Any advice on what to expect or what questions to ask? I did have bloodwork done a few months ago, should I bring it?

nuthinbutpink
November 17th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Yes. Just tell him you want to have a baby. You need his help to make it happen. Bring whatever you have with you! They will get a full history and go from there.

djmommy
November 17th, 2014, 10:36 AM
ok so my appt today is not happening. It is $450 for a consult and we just can not afford that right now. I just feel like crying all day. I just don't know what else to do. I guess we will keep trying but I think I should probably not take the clomid unmonitored. Any other suggestions. We bought a home SA kit and will do it this week.

atomic sagebrush
November 17th, 2014, 10:41 AM
would you do smep? It may sway blue.

djmommy
November 17th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I may try one more cycle with the every 4 days and one attempt at positive opk because last cycle I don't feel like we even had a chance. What do you think? The SMEP is attempt at pos opk and 2 days after then one day off and one last time? Also, I feel like we did try that method, unintentionally, when we were first ttc. I didn't know what was taking so long until I had the hsg and found that my tubes were blocked and then I was happy because they opened one. How does that happen anyway? My DS is 2! Then I wanted to try hard to sway pink.

djmommy
November 17th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Do you think I should skip the clomid?

nuthinbutpink
November 17th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I would call your OB and see if they can do an u/s as you approach ovulation, on clomid, and see what your ovaries are doing.

1. It will show if you even respond to clomid and if so how well

2. It will show if you are responding on the side that you *think* is open

3. You will then know if you even have a chance that month assuming your tube is actually open

There is NO reason in the world that the OB should not monitor you.

djmommy
November 17th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Thank you! My OB is a wonderful doctor but she is sooo busy because she is one of the only VBAC friendly doctors where I live. I will call and see. I will also call and see if I can get an appt with an RE that has a free consultation (LOL ya right) or a more affordable one.

djmommy
November 20th, 2014, 08:42 AM
So we did the SA kit and it showed a normal count. I know motility and morphology can be issues too. I guess if we don't get a BFP soon we will do a full SA.