PDA

View Full Version : Many positive OPKs---sorry, I am sure this question has been asked a hundred times

mommymachine
November 17th, 2014, 11:59 AM
So I now have 4 days worth of positive opks. Taken with SMU at around the same time everyday. I am not TTC, and I do not have PCOS and I am not pregnant. On CD 17 I had EWCM but OPK was negative. On CD 18, I started drying up but got the first pos OPK. So pos OPK are now CD 18,19,20 and 21 (today). So, what are our thoughts about all these positives? When did I likely O (if I did)? I am still trying to figure out my cycles since getting them back 2 months ago since I am still bfing.

Atomic...do you have an essay on this? I looked but I couldn't find one to answer this question.

mommymachine
November 17th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Also which OPK positive do you start counting from? The first one? Or the last one? Would CD 19 be O day and CD 20 DPO 1? Or would CD 22 (tomorrow) be O day ?

maidentomother
November 18th, 2014, 04:02 AM
What brand OPK? Do they have pink handles with diagonal text? If so, those are much too sensitive and give most women many false positives.

mommymachine
November 18th, 2014, 10:51 AM
They are internet cheapies, same brand that I have been using for a couple months. I have gotten negatives with them lots. And my last test with them finally showed negative. Do I start counting with the first positive? Or the last one?

maidentomother
November 18th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Normally you count the first positive. However, on Fertility Friend I've noticed that often when ladies have 4-6 days of positive OPKs in a row, they O on the day of the last positive or the day before. But not so very useful if you are trying to have one well-timed attempt! Probably you are just having a fluke month with a long surge. It can happen sometimes even for normally very regular ladies.

If I were TTC and had more than 3 days of positive OPKs, I'd definitely have another attempt 4 days after the initial attempt just in case, since often O is delayed in long surge months.

mommymachine
November 18th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Thank you:)

atomic sagebrush
November 18th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Quick commercial break - these are the types of things that are covered in my OPK book!! :) No essay, but a very nice long book on the topic.

It is totally normal to have EWCM 5-7 days prior to O that then dries up when you have the surge (it's still up inside!) REmember, our bodies don't "understand" the principles of showering daily and are still operating under the assumption that EWCM early in the cycle will still be hanging around days later!

I honestly can't tell you if you Oed and when. It's possible that you got a false surge and then a real surge a day or two later, or that you had one big surge that then took your body a little while to clear so the LH was coming out in your urine. The whole thing may have been a faker, or none, or part. THere's just no way to know without a doctor's input, so the best way will be to wait to see if AF shows up and then count back 14 days.

maidentomother
November 18th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Are you temping? I know atomic doesn't recommend it often for pink swayers, but since you are BFing (which can throw off cycles) and have 6 months before you plan to TTC, you have enough time to make temping a casual habit. And it really is the best way to know when you Oed, without seeing a dr. Just be sure to temp vaginally as it is more reliable than orally. If you were temping, you would have some idea if you'd Oed already or not, possibly you'd be quite sure depending on how clear and reliable your temps are.

atomic sagebrush
November 20th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Just to clarify, I think temping is great for natural family planning - to prevent or achieve pregnancy. I am just not a fan for swaying and as a method to "pinpoint ovulation". :)

maidentomother
November 20th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I personally do not recommend it all for preventing! Unless you are happy only having sex from O-AF, which is when I am least interested.

atomic sagebrush
November 21st, 2014, 11:36 AM
Temping PLUS other methods like monitoring CM/CP are pretty good BC methods for some people. Very few people use exclusively NFP methods to prevent pregnancy, but it helps to know when to switch to pullout or use a condom for a few days. :)