PDA

View Full Version : complete guide to swaying and yeast infections

atomic sagebrush
January 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Update 12-26-17

Whether you're swaying blue or swaying pink, yeast infection is an issue for all of us to be aware of.

There is a little yeast fungus living in your vagina all the time, but it's usually held in check by good microorganisms that live in there. Whenever the environment changes (either more acidic OR more alkaline), that kills off some of these friendly critters, and if your diet at that time is yeast friendly, this gives food for the yeast to grow. Since there's less competition for the yeast organisms because of the changes in pH, they overgrow and that's when you get a YI.

To help prevent this from happening, you may want to include acidophilus/probiotics as a part of your TTC plan (BUT please note, we have found probiotics to sway quite strongly blue and no longer use them as a pink sway tactic!!!). This will provide more competition for the yeast and make it less likely they will overgrow. But you cannot use probiotics as a cure for YI, only as a preventative. Once you have an active infection, it's too late for probiotics to help because they will actually have to grow in your intestines and come out in feces and then spread to your vagina and set up shop there (I know, right?? EWWW!) This process takes time and once you're miserable with symptoms you aren't going to want to wait for this to happen!

If swaying blue, garlic is an excellent addition to your TTC plan. Garlic is antimicrobial and in addition to killing off yeast, it also helps your blue sway by raising your testosterone levels and raising pH. It may even help make you healthier overall by eliminating bacterial infections throughout your body that you may not even have known your immune system was fighting...and healthy women have more sons!! Fresh garlic is much more effective than garlic pills. Pink swayers, you can eat garlic, of course, but it is rumored to sway blue.

Another preventative is occasionally inserting some unsweetened, plain flavor active culture yogurt into the vagina. It doesn't take much, just a spoonful now and then. Eating yogurt is not a good way to prevent yeast infections, not only for the same reasons why taking probiotics is not a good way to cure them, but also because most of the beneficial microbes in yogurt are killed by stomach acid. Eating yogurt is great for the upper digestive tract and breathing passages but is not a cure or preventative for vaginal yeast, unfortunately.

The best cure for YI is prevention. For all swayers - Make sure everything is very, very clean. Sanitize your equipment with boiling water before you use it (be sure to let it cool to room temperature, you don't need to use the equipment when it's still hot!!).

Be sure to keep your undergarments scrupulously clean. Even if you have to change panties 2 or 3 times a day. This is especially important if you're trying to increase your EWCM as part of a blue sway. More secretions = more moisture, and moisture helps these organisms to grow. Do not wear thong underwear and at night, you may want to sleep without wearing underwear at all.

If this is an ongoing issue for you, do not eat a lot of sugar and bread, this feeds the yeast organisms.

You can treat a yeast infection either with an OTC medication or by applying plain yogurt, the kind with natural cultures in it. Surprisingly, the yogurt works just as well as the cream does, for many people (and it can also be a good preventative measure as mentioned above). If you've just ovulated, you should have enough time to treat your symptoms and still try again the next month, but if you get the infection in the two weeks prior to ovulation, you may want to skip TTC that month and try again the next month. The good news is, after ovulation is the most likely time to get one. The even better news is, getting your period is also a great cure for them for most people.

Yeast infection isn't dangerous at all, most women get them once in a while. You can still try and conceive with a yeast infection, they will not harm your baby. The only thing to be aware of is a UTI (urinary tract infection), that is when organisms begin to live in your urethra and bladder. If this were to happen you would have a lot of burning and feeling like you had to pee a lot. Drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice (allegedly good for ttc pink anyway) can help to prevent UTIs, as can drinking lots of water and eating fresh garlic (good for ttc blue).

If you do get a UTI, your doctor can give you medicine that will cure it. You should stop swaying while you use the medication because it can affect your sway in unpredictable ways.

Yeast is not bacteria, it is a fungus. If you have a bacterial infection, that is a different thing entirely and you need to see a doctor right away for antibiotics (note - antibiotics sway blue.) Symptoms of bacterial vaginosis are similar to a yeast infection, but with a greenish or grayish discharge, and a very, very strong and foul odor coming from the vaginal area. Some people can have bacterial vaginosis without having any itching or burning, so if you notice any discharge or odor that is worrying, see a doctor right away.

Yeast actually do create an acidic by-product as part of their life cycle, and some people actually speculate that they WANT a yeast infection because they think it will sway pink. But the problem is that it is too variable to rely on for swaying...your body wants to get rid of the yeast and so it raises its pH as a result, trying to eradicate the infection.

IN a nutshell, higher pH does not cause YI, lower pH does not cause YI, CHANGES in pH cause YI. You need to treat the yeast before continuing to sway.

Lissa
January 5th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I am not a swaying. And I am sure this post is filled with really good information, because Atomic is freaking brilliant.

That said -- this title cracked me up when going through New Posts. "The Complete Guide." Love it!

atomic sagebrush
January 5th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Yes, I must admit that even I cringed a little at that but I wanted people to know it was actually a guide rather than a question!!!

xnicolax
January 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I used to get YI's all the time when I was swaying with No4. 80% of the time I couldnt even ttc because of it. Im not swaying now but I stil get them every month and have done since my IVF cycle in september. I dont know what the hell is going on but i'll give the live yoghurt a try!

atomic sagebrush
January 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM
You will not believe how well it works! I find the creams to be highly irritating and almost worse than nothing, but the yogurt is very soothing right away.

babydust
January 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM
awesome info! And I would think, when using the douches for ttc'ing for a girl and for a boy that would increase YI's also right? I'm sure if you don't use that much and it's very clean, then it's fine (I did it for my sway, no problems) but that was the only thing that did worry me a bit. Taking acidophilis and eating yogurt was important.

atomic sagebrush
January 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Yep, any time you mess with the status quo, you run the risk of altering the environment in such a way that the yeast get a leg up. Some people are more sensitive than others, so even a little douche or BSF can trigger a YI while others have no problems.

ELP
February 8th, 2011, 08:27 AM
So really yi is the enemy of swayers in general as it will try to do the opposite of what the swayer is trying to do. I have made a note to myself that if sway time comes around again that I have to cut out the bread and sugar as suggested and increase the garlic. :agree: Top info again!

ELP
March 3rd, 2011, 05:49 AM
I think the yi is trying to raise its head again grr, BUT!!, I think may know why. I have cut out bread and sugar from my diet until last night! I ate 1 and 1/2 white bread rolls before bead and low and behold I wake up a little stingy underneath. I haven't had my acv for a couple of days for a couple of days so I can rule out that. I am going to make sure I eat no more white bread products, get back on the acv and see if it develops. To be continued...........

atomic sagebrush
March 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
When I was swaying I experimented with low sodium homemade breads and I could literally smell the yeast in my pee (sorry TMI) and sure enough, I got a YI the very next day! It really does make a difference.

Keep us posted so we can know what works for people!!

TTC5
March 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
So this is why I have thrush started yesterday and funny enough my pH has risen just a tad?!

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Probably so! Try the garlic and see if it helps!! I'm sorry, I hate YI, they are SOOO annoying!

xnicolax
March 4th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Well I tried live yoghurt for my last YI, it was a bad one and it was much more soothing than the creams. It didnt make it go away any though. That was last month, I had another this month but it was only mild. I always get them around ovulation. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? The timing is no big deal as we are not ttc yet, so its probably good timing if anything, lol. But I would like to get this sorted before our next cycle or if we do start TTC after it.

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Getting YI around ovulation is TOTALLY normal and probably due partly to increased pH from the EWCM and also hormones.

I wonder if taking antihistamine to dry up your EWCM might help a little? I would also do probiotics and sleep without underwear/change underwear 2 or 3 times a day and see if that helps.

ELP
March 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Nicola I'm the same, I seem to get them the few days before ovulation which is how I know ovulation is on its way, frustrating! I have cut out white bread and sweets from my diet this cycle as I'm pretty sure these are the triggers for me, mainly the bread, we willl see!

xnicolax
March 5th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Ah, so diet has an impact on it? I do have LOTS and I mean LOTS of ewcm. It feels like im allergic to it if that makes sence? I do eat white bread but try to keep it to a minimum, its just so convenient. Sorry if I sound stupid but whats probiotics? And antihistamines, what part of my cycle do I start taking it and is it safe to take it when ttc and comming up to my IVF cycle?

atomic sagebrush
March 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Diet def. has an impact on YI, as does changes in pH and moisture. So if you have a lot of EWCM, it is more alkaline and there's also more moisture and both of those things give a leg up to the yeast. Sweets and other carbs provide food for the yeast and so it can overgrow.

DON'T take antihistamines if you're doing IVF. I'm sorry I assumed you were swaying.

Probiotics are healthy bacteria that live in our bodies all the time (as does yeast, it's only when yeast overgrows that you have symptoms of YI). Probiotics provide competition for the yeast and keep the yeast in check so it doesn't overgrow and end up causing a YI. Probiotics are safe to take every day throughout your life, even with IVF. In fact it can be a very smart thing to take probiotics when you are having any medical procedure done, because they also provide competition for the bacteria that can cause infection.

xnicolax
March 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks atomic, I got your PM too. I wont be taking antihistamines any time in the near future then, lol. I will deffinitely be giving the probiotics a try though thanks for that;). Just to clarify though, when my next cycle fails and I am swaying, antihistamines are safe to take then?

atomic sagebrush
March 5th, 2011, 12:14 PM
First of all, your next cycle will succeed and this advice is totally pointless!

But yes, if you're swaying antihistamines are actually a VERY good idea for pink because they will help dry up that excessive EWCM. http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?518-USING-ANTIHISTAMINES-TO-HELP-TTC-A-GIRL&highlight=antihistamines

xnicolax
March 7th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Thanks atomic, I wish I had your confidence, lol. Im looking into all the swaying stuff now so I can get straight on with it when we come home!

atomic sagebrush
March 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I will be here to help you if you need it (which you won't! ;))

xnicolax
March 8th, 2011, 04:12 AM
:kiss: You might regret saying that when im driving you mad with the questions, lol.

ELP
March 27th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I just wanted to come back and update, but this ov I had no signs of a yi which is brilliant! I think for me, leaving out the white bread products and sugar did make the difference:agree:

atomic sagebrush
March 27th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Thank you for updating! That is very helpful info!

harleyquinn
July 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
I am curious of any thoughts on BV and any tendancies to sway one way or the other, obviously one would not wish to ttc during a raging infection, but sometimes it happens that one does their "attempt" and things transpire in the hours afterward and you find yourself, um sore.

This study I read, indicates that BV happens more frequently when women are under psychological stress, which would seem to benefit a pink sway, hinder a boy one, but we are also somewhat concerned with pH :think:

The association of psychosocial stress and bacterial vaginosis in a longitudinal cohort (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367104/)

atomic sagebrush
July 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
The one person I know with chronic BV (a horrible situation that lasted for years and was totally immune to all drugs) had all girls.

I also have this study that associates early life stress with BV The association between early life adversity and bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3144307/) that I'm sharing for no reason other than I think it's intriguing.

harleyquinn
July 3rd, 2012, 10:00 PM
Yes ^ that study is interesting particularily because of this sentence:

some studies report that women with increased levels of psychosocial stress have elevated levels of serum pro-inflammatory cytokines and cortisol.

...as my "sway" is based entirely on coritsol, psychological stress, low blood sugar and low weight, the entire package of depleted maternal condition and now I can throw in BV for a pinch of added pixie dust. It will be interesting to see what side of the skew the end result will fall into :think: LOL

atomic sagebrush
July 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Well, you don't necessarily WANT BV of course because it may up the risk of miscarriage, but if it's there anyway(some BV is chronic) at least it may be working for you rather than against you. Bacterial vaginosis doubles risk of miscarriage -Gynecology news - (http://www.health.am/gyneco/more/bacterial-vaginosis-doubles-risk-of-miscarriage/)

Be sure you seek treatment immediately after getting BFP - I don't like how that study found a link to 2nd tri losses!!

harleyquinn
July 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM

Jadis
July 6th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Ok, this may seem a little extreme but I've been thinking about something. I'm prone to YI, I get 'em very often and really don't want to miss a month ttc because the diet is so unbearable, I don't want to extend my time on it. While DTD with my hubby would certainly be unbearable during an active infection, inserting a syringe filled with semen wouldn't be. Could I do that instead of BD'ing during ovulation if an infection is present? Plus, it would give me the chance to add a drop of lime to the semen before insertion. Thoughts?

atomic sagebrush
July 6th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Yes I have read that info before as I had BV (the only time I"ve had it and the Rx for it is so horrible, Flagyl, this med was very hard on me) right when I conceived my last son. So NO I don't want BV at all, I was being sarcastic LOL because wouldn't you know, ttc atm is just about the most stressful thing and quite traumatic for various reasons and to add BV in ontop of it all is just another cherry on top of this wonderful process that I will have to take a break from at this point if this cycle did not work.

Really not sure what is going on down yonder with me, it does not seem like yeast or BV, I have no idea but something is not quite right, I am thinking it has something to do with what our attempt entailed :omg:

Gotcha! Sorry if I was dense there - people get some strange ideas when it comes to swaying and I can never tell how far people will take it. :)

FWIW I am deathly allergic to Flagyl! I hate that stuff.

atomic sagebrush
July 6th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Ok, this may seem a little extreme but I've been thinking about something. I'm prone to YI, I get 'em very often and really don't want to miss a month ttc because the diet is so unbearable, I don't want to extend my time on it. While DTD with my hubby would certainly be unbearable during an active infection, inserting a syringe filled with semen wouldn't be. Could I do that instead of BD'ing during ovulation if an infection is present? Plus, it would give me the chance to add a drop of lime to the semen before insertion. Thoughts?

You can def. use a syringe filled with semen for insemination if you can't DTD - "TBM". I personally would stay away from the lime, I think it's very harsh for the sperm and can make it take a very long time to get pg, "TBM" may sway pink anyway, and you can't use both RepHresh and lime because it may cause pH to spike. Here's a little how-to on the "turkey baster method" http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion/2598-how-do-tbm-why-you-probably-shouldnt-do-gender-swaying.html

Jadis
July 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks Atomic! Nice to know it's an option if a YI stops me from enjoying some actual hanky panky.

Girlsway
November 6th, 2012, 06:07 AM
When I was swaying I experimented with low sodium homemade breads and I could literally smell the yeast in my pee (sorry TMI) and sure enough, I got a YI the very next day! It really does make a difference.

Keep us posted so we can know what works for people!!

Hi Atomic,
I will give the yogurt a go, but I would be also intereted in your detailed sway info. Is it available please?
Xx

atomic sagebrush
November 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
this is my successful sway http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-your-girl-sway/9388-atomics-stealth-sway-updated-july-20-a.html

my unsuccessful sway was where I was trying out the low sodium bread and that is here (this is very long so clear your schedule if you want to read it LOL)http://genderdreaming.com/forum/science-behind-gender-swaying/253-trivers-willard-hypothesis.html I ate a crapload of sodium with my successful sway and limited it with my unsuccessful one.

illinigirl
December 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I got a lovely chanukah present this morning. YI. Is it safe to take OTC stuf... I'm on CD23 so I have about 9-10 days left. I was thinking of taking it tonight. We would still have almost 4 weeks until next BD.

atomic sagebrush
December 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Yes, that's fine!! I'm sorry, YI suck!!

onebigwish
April 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM
first time i got pregnant with YI (without knowing it) and i had a ph over 7

a&jmummy
April 5th, 2013, 01:21 PM
maybe a stupid question but have any girl mums had YI ?
seems to be all boy mums at the moment .

atomic sagebrush
April 5th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Both pink and blue swayers and girl/boy moms get YI.

~IF~ boy moms get more YI than girl moms do, it would be because they tend to have more EWCM and EWCM can encourage yeast growth.

a&jmummy
April 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM
it's just i can't think of any of my friends or family who have girls saying anything about YI !
but all my boy mums had it loads !

CherryBlossom
April 6th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Yep I get frequent YI, to the degree that pretty much every time the dr has asked
Me to pee in a cup it's always come back positive for having one!!!

atomic sagebrush
April 6th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I know of several girl moms who get them too. If there IS any connection, it would likely be because of more CM and not that the yeast itself is swaying.

ltester
April 25th, 2013, 05:29 AM
I just wrapped up antibiotics for a sinus infection. I am on cd8 of my fifth month swaying pink. I felt the irritation of a YI yesterday, although it is not that severe. I really don't want to miss a month, but I don't want to do anything stupid, either. Is it really unwise to try when it is a result of antibiotics and not diet? My sway, after seven months, is mostly focused on exercise rather than diet.

atomic sagebrush
April 25th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Well, some people believe antibiotics sway blue too.

I honestly can't say what you should do, but what I do know is that you have to be able to walk away knowing you did what you could do. If you get an opposite, will you be haunted forever by trying vs. waiting? Conversely, if you're much over 35, you never know when it's the last fresh egg in the carton and you can be just as haunted by not trying, if you end up never getting pg - if you don't get pg, you have no shot at your DG. It's really a personal call for you to make.

Dreamsplanner
May 9th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Hi Atomic,

How about RepHresh?Is that likely to cause YI?
I only got YI when pregnant with DD, but managed to get it under control by wearing cotton underwear and change my diet to avoid cereal white bread and sweets...

Interestingly enough I sometimes suffer from mild eczema during hot weather and when pregnant with DD, had suffered from some too... Does eczema sway blue?

Thank you

atomic sagebrush
May 14th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Any time you change your pH then you can be more prone to YI.

I do think there ~may~ be some link between autoimmune stuff like eczema and having more boys. But it's not that eczema in and of itself does anything, but perhaps that more "revved up" immune system is somehow caused by or contributes to whatever it is that sways blue.

Transatlantic Belle
September 28th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Atomic: you can also recommend raw garlic, scored. Just peel it, score it, and put it where the sun doesn't shine! ;). Works every time. Use a fresh piece every 9-12 hours or so.

atomic sagebrush
September 29th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I am not as much a fan of that as a few people have gotten irritation with that method. Tons of people swear by it though and if it works for you, that's great! Thanks for sharing.

essnce629
September 29th, 2014, 07:36 PM
I'm a fan of the garlic too! I'm very yeast prone during pregnancy and garlic cloves inserted vaginally were the only thing that got rid of my stubborn yeast infections (Monistat, etc) didn't work. This time around I started the Fem Dophilus probiotics as soon as I got my BFP. They are the only probiotic with the strain of bacteria specifically meant for the female reproductive system.

atomic sagebrush
June 27th, 2016, 12:44 PM
You guys have to do what YOU PERSONALLY can live with. There's never been a study done so we honestly do not know how or if YI sway (I personally really really strongly doubt it, but ya never know) and for some of us if we had to wait till we didn't have a YI around ovulation to TTC, we never would LOL.

I never really wanted anyone to skip months based on YI BUT this was the earliest days of the site (and actually one of my first essays that I wrote) and if I had come out swinging as hard as I do now regarding not skipping months and saying that pH wasn't adding up to me, I would have had no customers back then. :)

So long story short, I don't think anyone needs to skip months, but other "sway gurus" do, and thus you have to do what you can personally livewith.

atomic sagebrush
June 30th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Yes, I absolutely DO think that may be the case!! Anything sperm can't swim through probably sways pink!!!!

Nann3r
July 30th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Yes, I absolutely DO think that may be the case!! Anything sperm can't swim through probably sways pink!!!!

Hey atomic. I read through your info on YI. Super informational. Me and DH are on our 11cycle ttc and I've lessened my sway dramatically. I was just gaining too much wait to be comfortable with and it's taking long enough I was gettin exhausted with swaying! :( regardless, I need some advice. I am in my fertile window right now and I have a yeast infection. Sex in incredibly painful, so I wanted to do something to treat the YI at home without affecting my sway. I feel like inn swaying I littleness anymore that a remedy that sways girl in even the slightest Will get me a girl instead of a boy. Do you think if I use the yogurt this morning, will it affect me and/or his sperm if we bd tomorrow morning? Thanks atomic

atomic sagebrush
July 30th, 2016, 10:30 AM
No I do not think it will affect your sway to use the yogurt now.

Nann, have you seen a doctor about this?? It should not be taking you 11 months to get pregnant and I want to figure out what we can change to make this happen sooner.

Nann3r
July 30th, 2016, 10:36 AM
No I do not think it will affect your sway to use the yogurt now.

Nann, have you seen a doctor about this?? It should not be taking you 11 months to get pregnant and I want to figure out what we can change to make this happen sooner.

Ok perfect cuz I want to use it so bad right now!! Haven't had a yeast infection since I got pregnant with DD!

I have yes. I went in a couple months ago and they said because I've already had one, there shouldn't be any issues so they said to keep trying till I hit a year. Which will be next month. So I don't have to wait too much longer any more for some actual answers thank goodness. But yeah it's very frustrating. /:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
July 30th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Grr how annoying is that!!

The yogurt works quite well for me, some others have said it didn't work as well for them so you may need something stronger than that to knock it back and then use the yogurt to repopulate the VJ.

Are you doing Shettles timing, BSF, or anything else that may be inhibiting odds of conception?

Nann3r
July 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Yeah I'll try yogurt for now till Monday when I can go to the doc for a prescription. Last time they gave me one pill and it knocked it out in like 12 hours!

Not anymore. I stopped with most everything about 8 months ago. Pretty much all I'm doing is opks and having lots of sex during my fertile window. Like once a day. I did bsf in the beginning maybe two cycles or so then stopped. Was taking supplements for 3-4 cycles then stopped, and was doing boy diet 4-5 cycles then stopped. So it's like every month I dropped things till now where I JUST do opks anymore. /: at this point I just want another baby. Of course I'd love a boy. But at this rate I don't know if I'll get either.. I know that's incredibly dramatic and probably not true. But it's just getting insanely emotional for me and DH. I applaud women who do this for years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
July 31st, 2016, 11:30 AM
Please just take a prenatal and DHA supp though. They really do sway and will also possibly help you get and stay pregnant.