PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss in pregnancy?

Lilac♥
January 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I know it's not okay to starve yourself (and baby) while pregnant. But I'm wondering if it's okay or even possible to drop a few pounds during pregnancy if you are very overweight to begin with. Last spring I was able to lose around 15 lbs of my 55 lb weight loss goal. Then stress and trying to do the boy diet caused me to gain it all back. Then by my 12 week OB appointment I had already gained 10 lbs on top of that, despite the fact I feel like I barely ever eat because of the morning sickness. Now I'm starting to feel really down. I only wanted to gain around 10-20 lbs this pregnancy, because I have a goal to lose all of my weight by June 2012 and wanted a head start. I know the baby is more important than all of that, but I'm already so overweight I don't know why I need to gain anymore weight than I need to (which would just be the baby and placenta and those kinds of things). My body seems to think differently, every pregnancy my body goes back to being about the same weight and I'm miserable. I just wanted to be one of those cute pregnant girls, not the big whale everyone thinks is overdue at 6 months along. Sigh!

atomic sagebrush
January 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I have read that it's never a good idea to diet during pregnancy. The problem is, when you burn off your stored fat for fuel (rather than carbs) you release these chemicals called "ketones" which have been linked to brain damage in babies (diabetics also release these ketones so they have a lot of evidence that they are dangerous to unborn children.) Also, your body stores toxins in your fat and so whenever you lose weight, you release these toxins into your body. Plus, there's the added problems of your baby needing a certain amount of nutrients, particularly protein to grow...doctors once thought that your body would rob itself to provide nutrition for the baby, but now they've learned that's actually an old wives' tale - your body does whatever it takes to survive even up to not providing enough for the baby to grow properly.

It's one of those things where, we all know people who lost weight due to morning sickness or whatever and their babies turned out just fine, but then again, why would you want to risk it? Plus it sounds like your body is like mine, it really doesn't matter what I eat during pregnancy, my body just holds on to every last bit of it! I think I could gain weight on celery sticks when I'm pregnant. I gain like 20 lbs just in the first trimester alone with every one of my pregnancies and with morning sickness on top of it.

Just know I gained at least 70 lbs with my last pregnancy (probably 80 but I didn't weigh myself or look on the scale at the doctor's office the whole last month) and I lost it all...I know you can do it!!!

Lilac♥
January 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Okay thanks! I honestly don't think I could limit my eating anyways. I'm just trying to eat healthier foods, but right now it's just whatever I can stomach. And I'm too tired and sick to exercise much also. I guess we'll see what happens when this morning sickness finally goes away, maybe it will be Spring by then and I could at least walk a little bit.

Lilian78
January 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I agree with atomic . . . I just don't think it's healthy to lose. Now, if you really are overweight, eating a healthy diet and only gaining 20 pounds or even 15 would probably be okay. Honestly, though, after doing 3 pregnancies that were completely different as far as how I was feeling, how much I weighed starting out, how much exercise I did, etc., and ending up at exactly the same weight each time (and even having 2 babies weighing exactly the same!), I honestly don't think it matters that much what you do. I totally believe in calories in/calories out as a general proposition, but think the body acts differently in pregnancy. So my advice would be to relax, and deal with losing later :)

atomic sagebrush
January 6th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Ha, ha, yes, two of mine weighed the exact same at well. 8 lbs on the button. And the other two were in a few ounces of that. I even think your body makes you crave food a lot more than normal too - I mean, I had ZERO willpower!!!!

Lillylolly
January 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I have no advice, just wanted to say that I am sorry you have been sick with Morning Sickness. That sucks. My sickness was awful with my Son that I lost around 30 pounds during the pregnancy. I would not wish that sickness on anyone though.

xnicolax
January 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I had no idea it was that dangerous. I lost weight in my last pregnancy (not by choice), I was so worried about it and talked to doctors and midwives about it and they all said it was fine! I even rang the labour ward up one day when I was about 33 weeks because I had barely eaten anything for days and the baby was going unusually crazy and had been bouncing around for 2 days non stop, they still werent concerned about it.

Hollie86
January 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I also had no idea that it could be that bad for the baby unless you were alreay underweight. I was under the common misconception that the baby will take from the mother. Im slightly worried now, I am overweight but i have had horrendous morning sickness with this pregnancy (after never having it in any other pregnancies) and in the first 8wks, i lost 28lb and i am still losing the odd lb or 2 here and there and still havent gained any back at all. Im not complaining that i havent put weight on, but i do hope my baby is ok. They were measuring slightly small at the last scan but as it was a private scan the tech didnt seem concerned, i suppose ill have to wait until next week to put my mind at ease when i get my next scan. I did mention it to my midwife at the two appointments i have has with her but she also didnt seem concerned. Then again they werent concerened when 4 weeks ago i had severe pain and hadnt felt the baby move for two whole days! Ridiculous, wish i could afford to hire a private midwife! They wouldnt even listen in with a doppler tp check the HB! I actually had to tell a white lie and go to my GP and say id had slight spotting just so they would take me seriously and have some one to see to me. Luckily the baby was ok, but i did have some sort of infection and needed anti biotics, the doctors at A+E couldnt believe the maternity staff all refused to see me when they saw the pain i was in, i couldnt walk, i had to be wheeled about in a wheelchair.......sorry ive gotten carried away and went totally off topic lol.....think ill stop ranting now :)

atomic sagebrush
January 8th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I don't mean to make anyone feel bad or guilty for losing weight...that is totally out of anyone's control. We all do the best we can! I'm quite certain that there have been many perfectly beautiful and healthy babies born when their moms had lost some weight while pregnant. To me personally, it's just not worth the risk to deliberately set out to lose weight when you don't HAVE to.

Apologies if I rubbed anyone the wrong way!!!

Hollie86
January 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Just to say, I wasnt rubbed up the wrong way....was just sticking my oar in lol! :)

BoyDreaming
February 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM
My rule of thumb has always been to eat in moderation. With DD1, I gained 20 lbs and was at a healthy weight when I got pregnant. With DD2, I was at home with DD1 constantly and tended to eat a lot more. I started out at a healthy weight with her also, but ended up gaining 87 lbs. With DD3, I was at home with the girls too, but I had a lot of energy with her and went constantly. I ate everything I wanted in moderation. I started out about 40 lbs from my ideal weight and ended up gaining only 7 lbs with her. She weighed 6 lbs, 10.5 oz at birth at 38 weeks. I'm almost 18 weeks with this baby and have yet to gain the first pound. And I'm at where I started at with DD3 also.