PDA

View Full Version : 3 miscarriages...advice?

girliedreamz
December 20th, 2014, 09:56 PM
I've had three miscarriages in a row. :( Very disheartening. But my dh and I are more determined than ever to add one more child to our family. I've had 3 healthy, normal pregnancies (boys) and never had much trouble getting pregnant. After swaying girl, it took me four months of TTC to get a bfp. Unfortunately, I miscarried at 5 1/2 weeks. I waited one cycle, then got another bfp but mc'ed again very quickly... bleeding started only a few days after getting the bfp. (chemical likely?) We got a bfp again I think it was the next cycle, but I just lost this one at 11 weeks. (Still in the process of expelling everything now.)

While we do want to TTC again, I want to make sure I'm giving it the best shot I can. I will finally have insurance again (yay!) in Jan, so I definitely want to get whatever testing I can done to rule out some possible issues. I'd love any advice on what sort of things I should test for! I'd prefer to go in to the doctor armed with a list. :)

At this point I'm thinking that waiting a few months and doing a fertility diet before TTC might be best. I know it doesn't necessarily sway pink to do that, but I just can't take another loss. I'm 38 and dh is 45, so time's a' wasting!

Thoughts? Advice? Anyone had experience with recurring miscarriages?

kitkat18
December 21st, 2014, 01:08 AM
Sorry I have no advice for you girlie dreamz, just wanted to say how sorry I was for your losses and hoping you get your DD in the new year big hugs XX

bunnywabbit
December 21st, 2014, 03:29 AM
I've had three early miscarriages in a row and decided to go to the doctor who told me it was just horrible luck on and didn't think there was anything wrong. But because of my age and still hadn't had a child she referred me to the local hospital for tests. I actually was fortunate to fall pregnant again before my appointment at the clinic. My doctor was right - seems like it was just bad luck on my part. I went on to have a healthy baby.

It might be worth having a word with your doctor if you're really worried to see if there's anything they can suggest to help. Again, it may just be lousy luck on you part. Hang in there. I hope baby sticks soon. x

nuthinbutpink
December 21st, 2014, 06:38 AM
With an 11 week loss, I would test the fetus and see if there was a chromosome problem. If not, I would look into possible immunity issues. So sorry for your losses.

bluebonnet22
December 21st, 2014, 07:50 AM
girlie - I'm so sorry for everything you've been through! In the 2 cases of my friends who had successful pregnancies and then went on to have losses (some early, some at 10-12 weeks), both of my friends had blood clotting issues (factor V) that they were unaware of and didn't suspect (because both had had 2+ successful pregnancies before). In both cases taking baby aspirin during early pregnancy prevented anymore losses for them. To see if this might be an issue for you is just an easy blood test at the doctor's office. If they are running blood tests for a lot of issues this is just something I'd add to the list to be sure. Good luck to you and again I'm so sorry for all the pain and sadness you've been through.

girliedreamz
December 21st, 2014, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions - much appreciated! It will likely be into mid January before I can get an appointment, so I'm keeping a running list of things to talk to doc about.

And thanks for the kinds words. Focusing ahead on things I can DO to make things hopefully better in the future is helping. :)

bunny--I almost like the idea of bad luck the best. At least I know there's nothing I did wrong or am in danger of doing wrong next time! My doc suggested this as well, given my age, but I'd still like to test everything I can to rule out other issues. Crossing my fingers that my luck changes!

atomic sagebrush
December 21st, 2014, 02:11 PM
Oh no I'm so sorry to read this.

IT ~may~ simply be coincidental and unrelated. the one thing I always like swayers to check is thyroid, and of course they'll check for clotting issues too. I think you've seen this before but I do have an essay here.

atomic sagebrush
December 21st, 2014, 02:13 PM
http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-general-discussion/29504-guide-swaying-after-miscarriage.html

essnce629
December 22nd, 2014, 02:47 AM
I agree with the others to check for thyroid (ask for a "full thyroid panel" including antibodies) and blood clotting issues.

Also, after my own loss 2 months ago and my research since, I'd ask them to test your ferritin levels and to do a MTHFR test. Both are simple blood tests.

I ended up having EXTREMELY low ferritin (iron stores) and tested positive for homozygous MTHFR c677t. Low ferritin can lead to infertility and low egg quality and thus increased risk of miscarriage. And having the MTHFR mutation can lead to increased blood clots and increased miscarriage risk as well. With the mutation, I will probably need blood thinners (aspirin or lovenox) for any subsequent pregnancy (even though I've had 2 perfectly normal pregnancies in the past).

girliedreamz
December 24th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Thank you, atomic! I've been reading that section like mad. :)

Essnce - so sorry to hear about your loss as well! Thank you for the suggestions. I will add both of those to my list. I love that it's such a simple *fix* (aspirin), so it's honestly worth testing for everything if something as simple as daily aspirin can make a difference.

atomic sagebrush
December 24th, 2014, 12:31 PM
If you do have thyroid stuff, it's better to avoid the aspirin because it can aggravate thyroid for some people - I don't want people to start aspirin willy nilly in this case.

girliedreamz
December 27th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks, atomic! I know I have thyroid issues (already on medication for it) so I'll for sure want to get some testing done before staring aspirin.

atomic sagebrush
December 30th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Oh yeah I knew that! Sorry, duh!

jen75
December 31st, 2014, 02:37 PM
Hi There ,
so sorry for your losses. I had 3 miscarriages in a row twice, i was much younger when i had those but when we went to TTC last time they tested me, i had boarder line thyroid issues, which kept rising and falling into the under active category, so they put me on thyroxine which made me feel so much better. they also found i had 'sticky blood' sorry i cannot remember the official name for this but they put me on Claxaine as soon as i became pregnant. this time after 8 years between my last pregnancy which was another 3rd miscarriage i carried ds 4 to 37 weeks, no problems. get tested as if your levels are rising and falling as mine were this could explain why you have carried some to term but keep losing others. Lots of love to you and keep trying. xxxx

atomic sagebrush
January 2nd, 2015, 01:38 PM
:agree: it can be "normal" for thyroid levels to go up and down switching from hypo to hyper thyroid for YEARS before it finally goes out completely. sometimes this really makes it difficult to diagnose and get the meds levels correct!

girliedreamz
January 17th, 2015, 12:03 PM
My testing appointment is on Tues finally! (Had to wait forever to get in.) Hoping they are helpful and will actually do the tests I want. On the phone the woman sort of had an attitude like "why are you calling? the m/c is over, so there's nothing we can do" Ugh. :/ It's so hard to find a doc who takes you seriously...at least in my neck of the woods. Wish me "good doctor" vibes!

kitkat18
January 18th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Thinking of you girlie X

essnce629
January 18th, 2015, 03:26 AM
Good luck Girlie! I hope you get some answers. (((HUGS)))

2boysJustOneGirl
January 19th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Good luck:). I wrote something insensitive in a reply to a post you made when I wrote about my loss. I didn't realize you too had a recent loss, I asked you how far along you were. I'm so sorry. I didn't realize from your post you had miscarried as well. Truly sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

girliedreamz
May 2nd, 2015, 07:05 PM
Oh, no worries, 2boys! So sorry about your loss, and I hope for pink dust for you!

Hitmebabyonemoretime
May 3rd, 2015, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry mama - I had 2 back to back and went on to make 2 babies - I agree with the others, if you can get some testing done that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk