PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Infertility

XXforhubby
December 30th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I am 35 years old and DH is 36 years old, we have been actively ttcing for 6 cycles, and we have not used protection for 8 cycles. I have found out that my FSH is 45.4 (44.8 the previous cycle) and my AMH is less than 0.3. The strange thing is (there are many!) I conceived both of my boys right away. DS1 is 4yrs old and DS2 is 18 months. I get a period regularly, always get positive opks CD11-16, and my LP is 12-16 days. I do not have problems with vaginal dryness, except right after AF ends. My periods are normal, not too heavy and not too long- just average. I am breastfeeding DS2 2-4 times a day.
I have an appointment with an RE 1/7 to discuss my options and for further testing.

Anyone go on to have another child with hormones suggesting infertility? If so, what treatments did you do and how long until you conceived? Anyone get a surprise BFP on their own (I guess I am praying for a miracle, unlikely I know!)?

Any other advice or suggestions are welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
December 31st, 2014, 12:27 PM
I know we already talked about this in another thread but wishing you the very best of luck! Cmon Goldie!! :cheer:

djmommy
January 2nd, 2015, 09:43 AM
I am kind of in your situation as well. I have been actively TTC for 11 months and I also conceived both my boys right away. DS 1 will be 5 this month and DS 2 is 2. I am shocked it is taking so long. I am hoping our girls are just worth waiting for. I think seeing an RE with your levels is a great idea. I also have an appt on the 21st with an RE. An RE will have much better info and options for you than an OB. Wishing you the best of luck!! HUGS!!!

XXforhubby
January 2nd, 2015, 11:29 AM
GL to you too DJmommy! Please update me on what the RE says for you! I will too after my appointment on 1/7. Maybe we will get our BFPs and won't need to pursue anything. Wouldn't that be nice!!

djmommy
January 2nd, 2015, 02:05 PM
That would be the BEST!! XX

Please update!!

True Blue
January 2nd, 2015, 04:55 PM
Good Luck Ladies :cheerteam:

MyByC
January 2nd, 2015, 06:04 PM
Good luck for all of us!
Not sure if it's a hormone problem. I bet you were really relaxed while your 2 boys were conceived...and now stressed from a a cycle to another.
Are you having a big O while TTC? How often do you TTC each month?

Quick question...I know what ob mean, but what is a re?

XXforhubby
January 2nd, 2015, 10:16 PM
I don't try to prevent or avoid big O. Ttc girl is stressful enough without one more thing to worry about. I have become much more relaxed as time is going on and not getting pregnant. This month I let DH call the shots on BDing, which worked out to every 2-3 days from the end of AF to O (I am temping again). We will probably keep every 2-3 days. We were every BDing every 4 days.

An RE is a Reproductive Endocrinologist who specializes in reproductive issues and can administer treatments like IVF.

MyByC
January 3rd, 2015, 05:15 PM
Oh, I got it now regards the RE :-)
It sounds good. Somebody told me that she got pregnant after having a O, she just relaxed and got pregnant.
I'm also stressed because of the fact I dont get pregnant...I'm 27 and my husband just turned 33....We also got our boy one shot with 4-5 days before Ov.
It's hard not to think "WHY I dont get pregnant?"
I hope we All soon get our BFP!

SweetLily
January 5th, 2015, 06:15 PM
I've been having mcs since my last son was 1. He's almost 6 now my hormones are really low, I do estrogen and progesterone supplementation (and sometimes hcg). I have no suggestions, I too really want that last baby and can't seem to make it happen. I'm 38 now (so this has been a problem since right after I turned 33) so time is running out.

Hugs to you, not an easy journey. I would push the re and not wait on that. Fx to you!

XXforhubby
January 7th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Update: The RE basically said there is me and my body functioning normally, based on my US, my regular periods, regular positive opks, and my bbt charts. Then there is my numbers, and the two don't match up. He said he would have me keep doing what I am doing to catch the golden egg. He looked at my recent chart and said he would not be surprised to get a call from me that I am pregnant! He didn't want to give me false hope, but he said if he treated me, he would be treating my numbers. My numbers say I am well into menopause. Everything, besides my numbers, suggest that things are working properly. At my ultrasound in October, I had 12 follicles in the dominant one and 9 or 10 follicles in the non-dominant one. He thinks of we keep having well timed sex, there is no reason to think I shouldn't get pregnant. I am following Atomic's recommendations, and the RE liked everything I am doing (Atomic knows her stuff!!!).

FX Goldie the golden egg drops soon!!!!

LacePrincess
January 7th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Fx for that good one! It can just take longer when you get a bit older. But I'd be pushing for more action if you hit the 1-year point for sure.

Did you get your DH checked out too just in case?

XXforhubby
January 7th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Fx for that good one! It can just take longer when you get a bit older. But I'd be pushing for more action if you hit the 1-year point for sure.

Did you get your DH checked out too just in case?

Yeah and all his stuff is excellent! So we just need to wait for Goldie! Oh and LacePrincess, he did recommend I up my CoQ10 dose to 400mg once a day. Good job!! He liked everything else I am doing, and I am waiting to here back from Atomic to see if she has any other recommendations.

Thanks ladies! For all your support and information! I hope we all get our precious babies soon!!

LacePrincess
January 7th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Awesome! It's nice to hear that your RE approves of Atomic's advice too. :)

djmommy
January 7th, 2015, 07:51 PM
What an awesome update!! Cmon GOLDIE!!!!

Did you mention that you were swaying and the LE diet? I am wondering if I should mention it when I go?

XXforhubby
January 7th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I did, but not directly. I didn't want him to misjudge things because I am swaying. I kept it to myself. The RE asked me specific questions about my diet and liked the foods I am eating (I am doing Atomic's fertility diet). Since I had late onset GD with DS2, he likes that I don't snack between meals and likes the 1/8th tsp of cinnamon in each of my 2 cups of decaf coffee in the morning. He thought the Zinc, CoQ10, and the amount of folic acid were good too. He mentioned I seem very knowledgable , and I said I have a friend who specializes in women's fertility. He said she gives good advice 😉.

Junie
January 8th, 2015, 05:30 AM
XX I will be cheering you on and hoping Goldie finds her way to you soon! I think that is actually pretty good news and I am sure 2015 will be your year!!

sent using tapatalk

djmommy
January 8th, 2015, 08:12 AM
XX I am also doing the atomic fertility. Would you mind sharing what you are eating? Just want to maybe get some ideas and if you want I can share too. I am taking 100mg of coq10, and 1600 mg of folate.

XXforhubby
January 8th, 2015, 09:10 AM
I am eating kind of a hybrid of the fertility diet and the PCOS diet, in that I still eat carbs at meal times twice a day. The carbs are complex carbs usually long grain brown rice (my fav!), multigrain bread, or whole grain pasta (this can be hard to find and is not whole wheat pasta- it takes longer to cook). I eat a little less than the recommended amounts of meat and eat mostly grass-fed antibiotic free chicken and turkey. I do eat my veggie burgers (love Boca)! I do eat vegetarian three days a week and include but make sure that it is low glycemic. I Iove my fruit (1 cup of mixed berries) in full fat yogurt (Stonyfield). I eat 2-4 eggs a week and twice a month we have red-meat trout (think salmon, but I am allergic to salmon). I love my veggie mix I steam to eat with meals- broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. I do eat broccoli, green beans mostly. I do eat salads that is usually mixed greens or romaine lettuces. I eat cheeses- love my Colby-Jack!

I would say I stick to the totals in the fertility diet but a little less of the meat. I follow the oil suggestions for cooking and twice a week use olive oil instead of canola. If I have an unusually fatty meal I do use my fiber. I also take 1600mcg of Folic Acid and 100mg of CoQ10. I also take 15mg of Zinc three times a week. I put 1/8tsp of cinnamon in each of my 2 cups of coffee every morning. I don't have caffeine and drink a little alcohol (light beer or wine) a week. Mostly I skip it though. I do finish my boys meals- I hate to waste food! Usually a few bites of a pop tart, cinnamon bread, or their dinner. Everyone eats what I eat, so that is easy! Oh DH does the LE diet too, and he is back doing the cardio!! He REALLY wants a girl!!

djmommy
January 8th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Oh that is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! I have gone gluten free so I have white rice and sometime gluten free pasta instead of the other. I am pretty boring and usually have the same stuff daily but change it up a bit. When I wake, usually around 6-6:30 I have coffee with creamer. My favorite! I have either a hard boiled egg (2-4 x a week) or gluten free toast around 10:30-11. I have a cup of white rice 1/4 c. chicken, cucumber salad with ranch or french dressing and beets for lunch around 2. I have been cooking usually with butter or olive oil. Then around 6:30 or so I have white rice or potato, with zucchini, mushrooms or broccoli and either chicken or mozz cheese melted for protein. I have wild salmon 2 x a week also and I stick to lower protein as well. I have been bad about fruit. I either have organic vanilla ice cream (yum) or 1 full fat yogurt. And I almost always have some chocolate and bites of stuff too!! And sugarfree gum.

atomic sagebrush
January 8th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Update: The RE basically said there is me and my body functioning normally, based on my US, my regular periods, regular positive opks, and my bbt charts. Then there is my numbers, and the two don't match up. He said he would have me keep doing what I am doing to catch the golden egg. He looked at my recent chart and said he would not be surprised to get a call from me that I am pregnant! He didn't want to give me false hope, but he said if he treated me, he would be treating my numbers. My numbers say I am well into menopause. Everything, besides my numbers, suggest that things are working properly. At my ultrasound in October, I had 12 follicles in the dominant one and 9 or 10 follicles in the non-dominant one. He thinks of we keep having well timed sex, there is no reason to think I shouldn't get pregnant. I am following Atomic's recommendations, and the RE liked everything I am doing (Atomic knows her stuff!!!).

FX Goldie the golden egg drops soon!!!!

I also would not be at all surprised if you are pregnant all on your own without any intervention!! :) Come on Goldie!

atomic sagebrush
January 8th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Just wanted to clarify one thing about the fertility diets - there are two schools of thought on this and I am honestly not sure which is best. One school of thought is that you should always stick with wholegrains, the other school of thought is that you should go glutenfree instead and that white rice is actually ok in that scenario. There is evidence pointing both directions and it may very well be the case that one approach works better for some people, others might do better going the other way. :)

atomic sagebrush
January 8th, 2015, 01:10 PM
What an awesome update!! Cmon GOLDIE!!!!

Did you mention that you were swaying and the LE diet? I am wondering if I should mention it when I go?

Please don't, for your sake, because they will IMMEDIATELY seize upon that and then cease all investigations into anything further.

LacePrincess
January 8th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Just wanted to clarify one thing about the fertility diets - there are two schools of thought on this and I am honestly not sure which is best. One school of thought is that you should always stick with wholegrains, the other school of thought is that you should go glutenfree instead and that white rice is actually ok in that scenario. There is evidence pointing both directions and it may very well be the case that one approach works better for some people, others might do better going the other way. :)

AS, IMO I think this is where individual genetics really come into play.

For example, on paper all white starches should be the same. Same GI, same insulin response, same contribution to weight gain. So white bread, white rice, pasta, potatoes, etc etc theoretically should all have the same affect.

And yet they don't. I swear I can eat a metric ton of white rice and not have any affect on my weight, but if I don't count EVERY bit of potato, KABOOM I'm packing on the pounds. I'm asian and I really think my genes processes rice far more efficiently than other starches.

XXforhubby
January 8th, 2015, 01:57 PM
AS, IMO I think this is where individual genetics really come into play.

For example, on paper all white starches should be the same. Same GI, same insulin response, same contribution to weight gain. So white bread, white rice, pasta, potatoes, etc etc theoretically should all have the same affect.

And yet they don't. I swear I can eat a metric ton of white rice and not have any affect on my weight, but if I don't count EVERY bit of potato, KABOOM I'm packing on the pounds. I'm asian and I really think my genes processes rice far more efficiently than other starches.

Me too! I am not of Asian descent, but I have to watch potatoes and other white starches. When I started out doing the traditional LE diet, I had a hard time getting over a plateau. For me, I have to do whole grains.

LacePrincess
January 8th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Me too! I am not of Asian descent, but I have to watch potatoes and other white starches. When I started out doing the traditional LE diet, I had a hard time getting over a plateau. For me, I have to do whole grains.

Yeah you really have to try things and figure out your own body. It's sometimes very weird! Bread for me I try to do whole grain but white doesn't seem to make me gain. Potatoes and pasta are both deadly for packing on the pounds for me.

It's a fussy balance to find for myself, as I have family genetic disposition towards diabetes (so, IR), hypertension, AND gallbladder disease. So any extreme doesn't work - too low carb high protein and my gallbladder acts up, too high carb and my IR tendencies kick in. Too much salt and high blood pressure. I have like total crap genetics to work with, LMAO.

sageviolet
January 9th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Just read through your updates. So happy things are looking hopeful for you, xx! <3

djmommy
January 9th, 2015, 09:53 AM

I am actually feeling better about going gluten free and have lost weight eating potatoes and white rice. I do have a sweet potato on occasion also. I am sticking more to white rice these days because I am really sick of potatoes and I am adding in gluten free pasta once in a while. I will see what happens at RE. My appt was moved to Feb 5 :(. Hopefully I will be preggo by then :)!! If it will help my fertility I will do whole grains.

djmommy
January 9th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Please don't, for your sake, because they will IMMEDIATELY seize upon that and then cease all investigations into anything further.

Thanks Atomic. I wasn't planning on it but I wanted to see if she did just to gage a response. The questionaire asked about my diet so I may change it up a bit and see what they say.

XXforhubby
January 9th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I am actually feeling better about going gluten free and have lost weight eating potatoes and white rice. I do have a sweet potato on occasion also. I am sticking more to white rice these days because I am really sick of potatoes and I am adding in gluten free pasta once in a while. I will see what happens at RE. My appt was moved to Feb 5 :(. Hopefully I will be preggo by then :)!! If it will help my fertility I will do whole grains.

I think since you are feeling better and able to lose/maintain your weight going gluten-free, I would keep it up. It is working for you. For me, I was feeling sluggish, and not able to lose/maintain my weight going gluten-free, so I have to stick with whole grains. To boost fertility, we must listen to what are bodies tell us!

GL for your appointment! Please keep us updated!

FX we catch a healthy egg with a pink sperm!! 💕

djmommy
January 9th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Thanks XX! FX you will see a BFP in the next week!! I am not allowing anything negative to enter my mind. Although it is still early in my cycle and I haven't O'd yet!!

As far as the gluten free I do miss my breads!! I love sandwiches and haven't had one in forever it seems. Have been staying away from cold cuts for a while.

LacePrincess
January 9th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Thanks XX! FX you will see a BFP in the next week!! I am not allowing anything negative to enter my mind. Although it is still early in my cycle and I haven't O'd yet!!

As far as the gluten free I do miss my breads!! I love sandwiches and haven't had one in forever it seems. Have been staying away from cold cuts for a while.

Are you gluten free just for the sway? Or do you have Celiac/gluten intolerance?

Because surely if it's just for the sway, you can go ahead and have a sandwich as a treat. It would seem to me that if it's becoming a stressor to not have it to the point you're dreaming about sandwiches, that that would count as 'swaycessing' which would sway blue.

Luckily being Chinese I am used to asian foods which is very rice based (and thus no gluten) so it's not that hard for me to make the switch. I'm not gluten intolerant so I'm not even gonna bother worrying about the bits of gluten in soy sauce, etc. I'm planning on just cutting down on the bread/wheat products in favour of rice as my staple and go from there.

atomic sagebrush
January 9th, 2015, 12:14 PM
:agree: for those who are going gluten free as a preventative measure or for upping egg quality, it is ok to occasionally have a gluten-based cheat. YOu'll still be getting the benefits of less gluten for your fertility but it can help to satisfy the craving.

XXforhubby
January 9th, 2015, 12:40 PM
DJmommy- what brand of folate do you take and how much is it? I am thinking about switching.

djmommy
January 9th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Are you gluten free just for the sway? Or do you have Celiac/gluten intolerance?

Because surely if it's just for the sway, you can go ahead and have a sandwich as a treat. It would seem to me that if it's becoming a stressor to not have it to the point you're dreaming about sandwiches, that that would count as 'swaycessing' which would sway blue.

Luckily being Chinese I am used to asian foods which is very rice based (and thus no gluten) so it's not that hard for me to make the switch. I'm not gluten intolerant so I'm not even gonna bother worrying about the bits of gluten in soy sauce, etc. I'm planning on just cutting down on the bread/wheat products in favour of rice as my staple and go from there.

I am really doing it for the sway but I actually feel better. My DS2 is gluten intolerant so I have beem trying to do it along with him. As far as a sandwich, I am staying away from the sandwich lunch meat that is not good for fertility. And I have had my cheats..Lasagna and garlic bread on Christmas and cookies too!! YUM! If I didn't I would have really gone crazy!!!! :) I actually don't mind it but won't freak out on myself if I have a cheat which makes things easier. :)

djmommy
January 9th, 2015, 01:40 PM
DJmommy- what brand of folate do you take and how much is it? I am thinking about switching.

I am taking Solgar folate and I just ordered it from Vitacost and paid like $12.00 for 100 tablets. 800 mcg 2 x a day. I haven't checked Amazon out yet.

XXforhubby
January 9th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I am taking Solgar folate and I just ordered it from Vitacost and paid like $12.00 for 100 tablets. 800 mcg 2 x a day. I haven't checked Amazon out yet.

Amazon has the same one for $12.09. I am going to order some, because I am almost out of my Folic Acid. Thank you!

essnce629
January 10th, 2015, 12:03 AM
I take Solgar Folate as well and also get it on Amazon. Two 800mcg tablets a day.

XXforhubby
January 12th, 2015, 01:59 PM
If I don't get a BFP this cycle, I am going to try acupuncture. There is a well respected practitioner in my hometown that is extremely affordable. I have something to look forward to either way!!

Have any of you ladies tried, or thought about trying, acupuncture?

XXforhubby
January 19th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Today is my first acupuncture appointment! I am excited! 😃

XXforhubby
January 19th, 2015, 11:48 AM
I would love hear anyone else's experiences!

Junie
January 19th, 2015, 12:02 PM
I hope your acupuncture appt goes great!

sent using tapatalk

XXforhubby
January 19th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I hope your acupuncture appt goes great!

sent using tapatalk

Thank you Junie! It went very well. I am excited to go back. I feel like this will definitely help get things back on track for me.

sageviolet
January 20th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Just saw your messages here, xx. I told you about my experiences in the Jan 2ww thread, if anyone else is interested.

atomic sagebrush
January 20th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Sageviolet that is a beautiful chart today!!! FXFXFX

XXforhubby
March 19th, 2015, 07:35 PM
I just wanted to update this thread, in case anyone searches the site with a similar problem.

I just got a BFP today, after having acupuncture for 3 cycles! Anyone diagnosed with High FSH, don't lose hope! Don't give up! I am more than happy to share more of my story or PM me if you have any questions!

FX and GL to all of you trying so hard for a BFP! Know I am praying for you!

atomic sagebrush
March 20th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Thank you so much for updating! This is the same story I have seen play out time after time. People are told their numbers are terrible and given no hope by fert. doctors (even the most prestigious ones) but then just keep chipping away at it and it does happen even sooner than you might think. Never lose hope!!!

Rosie85
March 20th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Such a great update!! Fertility doctors dont know everything! Love when people prove them wrong!

Pink rose 76
March 21st, 2015, 03:31 AM
What a luvly ending to the story. So happy for you xxfirhubby.