PDA

View Full Version : Bfp! Afraid to take folic acid?!

Babyxx
January 4th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I just got a bfp again, so prone to mc I'm trying to be calm here....anyway the thing that I have been researching is that folic acid is a man made synthetic form of folate? And apparently no one should be taking folic acid? I have been taking minimum 1000 iu per day for years! I'm afraid to lower it because I know atomic has mentioned it can lead to mc if you decrease it suddenly.
So, I'm going to the health food store and I think I might start to take the lowest dose folic acid along with folate, and also I will have 1-2 smoothies with spinach a day. I'm afraid of mc if I totally stop the folic acid. Please advise atomic as I am slightly freaking out right now lol. Here is just one of the interesting articles I have found.
It's surprising that even a lot of doctors don't know there is a difference between the two.

Being cheated out of the best health possible (http://www.tahomaclinicblog.com/folic-acid/)

Thanks in advance for anyone who might have some input

nuthinbutpink
January 4th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Please take it. The neural tube defect is a real risk.

ejk741
January 4th, 2015, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure where you heard that you shouldn't be taking it. It is really important before and during pregnancy. It can prevent neural tube defects like spina bifida an anencephaly.

maidentomother
January 4th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Just switch to the same dose of folate.

True Blue
January 4th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Where does anyone find folate ? I'm finding it impossible to source?

Frilly Lady
January 4th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Got mine from Amazon, Ive used two different brands as the first one didn't agree with me!

atomic sagebrush
January 4th, 2015, 12:13 PM
A lot of the people who have concerns about this are vitamin peddlers who are selling "folate". There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with taking "synthetic" anything most of the time, it just means that the chemistry was made in a lab instead of by nature. There is nothing inherently better about natural forms of ANYTHING, and in fact some "natural" things that people are prescribed are actually BAD because they contain naturally occuring toxins and impurities in them (taking kelp vs. iodine, for instance - you want the synthetic iodine because it gets rid of some bad juju that exists in kelp naturally)

THere may be a tiny minority of people who tolerate folate forms of folic acid better than synthetic. I have looked into this extensively and I do not think this is true for most people. 1000 iu folic acid is NOT that much. it really isn't. several of us were prescribed 4000-5000 by our doctors. The risks of neural tube defects are HUGE and 100% proven beyond a shadow of a doubt and to worry over some unproven thing at the risk of stopping folic acid, when that is absolutely proven, I believe to be a step in the wrong direction.

Folate is fine, just gradually switch from one to the other. I have been moving towards having eveyrone take folate, but the trouble is it's expensive and can be hard for some people to find, and so I would rather have people take folic acid than nothing.

Babyxx
January 4th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses.
Ok folate is very hard to find, I found one pre natal that has it, and it was very expensive. You are supposed to take 4 pills a day, (200mcg folate per pill) so I was wondering, is it ok to maybe take 2 of those a day and 500mcg of folic acid? Or would that not be enough? Atomic, should it just stick with folic acid at 100mcg per day?

Thanks!

essnce629
January 4th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I switched to Solgar folate which I found on Amazon. I take 1600mcg a day (800mcg twice a day). $12 for 100 tablets doesn't seem expensive to me. If anything, it's the least expensive supplement I've ever taken!

Amazon.com: Solgar Folate 800 mcg (as Metafolin)- 100 Tablets: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Folate-800-Metafolin-Tablets/dp/B001LR2RVQ)

maidentomother
January 4th, 2015, 07:42 PM
I got my folate on amazon too, and if German amazon carries I't,I'm sure there are many more and cheaper options available in the US.

While I don't think synthetic forms of vitamins are evil, I DO think that naturally occurring forms are significantly superior. They are better absorbed by the body and potentially safer, so I believe they are well worth the extra cost. I also believe it's foolish not to eat mostly organic, and I know many if not most people disagree. So I always encourage looking at the research yourself and drawing your own conclusions.

Babyxx
January 4th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Thank you to the last two replies. I live in Canada so unfortunately amazon is ridiculous with the extra taxes to get it here. I ended up buying the only one I could find here,it was $10.00 off, so it was $55.00 plus tax! Ugh we get gouged here in Canada, but I think it's worth it.
I also agree that eating organic is the best way to go, people often make fun of me about it, so it's nice to hear of other informed people who are on the same page as myself :)
Thanks again ladies!

maidentomother
January 4th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Wow that's more than I paid here, even in euros, and including shipping from uk via us! That is very pricey! If vitacost.com ships to Canada check them out, they have the cheapest prices on most supplements in the US. I miss that site so much, sigh.

atomic sagebrush
January 5th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses.
Ok folate is very hard to find, I found one pre natal that has it, and it was very expensive. You are supposed to take 4 pills a day, (200mcg folate per pill) so I was wondering, is it ok to maybe take 2 of those a day and 500mcg of folic acid? Or would that not be enough? Atomic, should it just stick with folic acid at 100mcg per day?

Thanks!

Exactly, and that's why I continue to recommend folic acid, because I can see people trying to find it, and not able to or else not able to afford it, and just like you, being scared away from folic acid which is perfectly fine and safe for most people and 100% proven to prevent birth defects.

We have to live in the real world, not the "ideal".

Personally, unless you have been tested for MTHFR and found to have it, I'd stick with the folic acid, but it is largely up to you - you have to do what you can live with. Half and half may be better than just folic if you can afford that.

atomic sagebrush
January 5th, 2015, 01:12 PM
We have to live in the real world here and not everyone can afford these things or find them.

In an ideal world we'd all have the best of the best of the best of everything all the time but it doesn't always work that way for everyone. I try to take a lot of different factors into consideration when I make recommendations and expense is one of them.

djmommy
January 8th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I take the Solgar folate as well!

Babyxx
January 9th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone,

Yep I'm taking a bit of both, 1500 folic acid and 400 folate. And yes I really do agree with atomic, it's not an ideal world, hopefully this is my last pg and everything goes well and I don't have to think about folic acid after this :)
And yes I have heard of the solgar brand, I heard it's very good, prob would end up being the same with shipping as the one I got, we really pay a premium in Canada yet have very little selection, it drives me nuts!