PDA

View Full Version : should i give up

Desperate
July 27th, 2011, 06:02 PM
i am 42 years old and after having two failed ivf cycles. I had still a good ovarian reserve with my FSH level at 5 and my AMH is 49.4, so for my age I had a good response to medication. on each cycle there was 15 eggs retrieved and on both occasions I only had 1 healthy female to tranfer and both times there was a BFN. I don't want to give up my desire to have a daughter so I am thinking of using egg donor. Should I go down this route or just give up altogether. If using donor should i transfer 2 or 3. obviously if 3 at my age implanted it would be a big risk to my age! Any advice would be much appreciated.thanks

Chunky Monkey
July 29th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I have not been down the IVF road personally, so please take my opinion how you choose :) I would absolutely try again in your situation! I don't know why you would have only had 1 healthy female in each cycle with good numbers, but I would probably try once more without donor eggs. I would implant up to two, depending on how many were retrieved. I don't know who your Dr. is, but I would definitely go to the best of the best, Dr. Potter, Dr. Lin, etc. to try. Good luck!!!

Dr. Potter
September 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
i am 42 years old and after having two failed ivf cycles. I had still a good ovarian reserve with my FSH level at 5 and my AMH is 49.4, so for my age I had a good response to medication. on each cycle there was 15 eggs retrieved and on both occasions I only had 1 healthy female to tranfer and both times there was a BFN. I don't want to give up my desire to have a daughter so I am thinking of using egg donor. Should I go down this route or just give up altogether. If using donor should i transfer 2 or 3. obviously if 3 at my age implanted it would be a big risk to my age! Any advice would be much appreciated.thanks
Hi There
It is really a tough spot. With great ovarian reserve and response to stimulation, you will still have only 10-15% of the embryos normal genetically. This is age related. When you assume that 1/2 of the embryos will be girls, there should be one normal girl in about 16-20 embryos tested. This is in contrast to one normal girl per 4 embryos tested with donor. If you are using a donor I would only put back 1 if you are using GSN24 (unless you want twins!). I hope this helps.
Dr. P

Desperate
September 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks Dr. Potter for your response. I am going to go donor route in a hope to get my daughter. I don't want twins because i am 42 and one would be enough to handle! Also to reduce complications for me and baby. However, I did transfer one good embryo each time and each time i got negatives, that is why I thought maybe two in a hope that i would get implantation this time and a better chance for one to take.
Would you only put back one if you were my specialsit even with me having two BFNs and having excellent quality embryos put back in the past. thanks for your response.

Dr. Potter
September 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks Dr. Potter for your response. I am going to go donor route in a hope to get my daughter. I don't want twins because i am 42 and one would be enough to handle! Also to reduce complications for me and baby. However, I did transfer one good embryo each time and each time i got negatives, that is why I thought maybe two in a hope that i would get implantation this time and a better chance for one to take.
Would you only put back one if you were my specialsit even with me having two BFNs and having excellent quality embryos put back in the past. thanks for your response.I would if they were screened with GSN 24. If you were to put back 2 we are getting twins about 50-55% of pregnancies.

Desperate
September 17th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Dr Potter your response is appreciated.
Thank you

Dr. Potter
September 19th, 2011, 03:02 PM
my pleasure