PDA

View Full Version : Pessaries a must??

janse
January 26th, 2015, 12:21 AM
I don't have my official appointment with RE until Feb 10.

Up until now I have just been doing monitored cycles. One finished in December with a BFN but due to Christmas shut down dates, I had an unmonitored cycle after that.

1st time around I had the trigger and progesterone pessaries. That AF was really painful and usually I don't have bad cramps.

This time blood tests have showed O as of this morning (8am test) and they are wanting me to start progesterone on Tuesday.
Levels were
E2 631
LH 27
Prog 4.2

When I asked the nurse why, I was told it was standard for everyone and they sell the pessaries. I have 5 here so I would need to go pick up more during the week.Scan on Saturday showed 17mm follie on right side and I had pain around 8pm on Sat night. Temp was only a minor jump this morning though- 36.03 to 36.08.

I have had a few problems with delayed ovulation, but cycle seems to have fixed itself mostly now.

Just wondering if pessaries are the standard for other women? Will it really make any difference?

LacePrincess
January 26th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Progesterone support is required for any HT cycle, fresh or FET transfer. Most of us use suppositories (pessaries) but there are also Progesterone-in-oil shots but not every clinic does them. You could ask about the injections if you prefer (though they are IM ones with the big needle!) or there's different types of pessaries. A lot of us use Crinone but there's also the compounded tablets and a few other brands.

Since in HT cycles your body really isn't ovulating normally on its own, yes some sort of prog support is necessary since your body wouldn't be producing the progesterone levels it naturally would. They artificially control all of the ovulation process and your usual hormones aren't working, so you wouldn't be secreting enough prog yourself to support a pregnancy.

atomic sagebrush
January 26th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Studies have shown that the progesterone does nothing. Doctors give them to people because they can and it makes them look like they're doing something, but unless your LP is super duper short or you have a proven progesterone deficiency they are shown very clearly in several studies from reliable sources to have zero effect on getting and staying pregnant. A viable pregnancy will make all the progesterone you need to sustain it. If the pregnancy ends, it was because it wasn't viable.

It is ALWAYS your call to make. Most people want to use them no matter what because they want to feel that they've done everything possible to help get/stay pregnant. But more and more doctors are moving away from them now.

atomic sagebrush
January 26th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Progesterone support is required for any HT cycle, fresh or FET transfer. Most of us use suppositories (pessaries) but there are also Progesterone-in-oil shots but not every clinic does them. You could ask about the injections if you prefer (though they are IM ones with the big needle!) or there's different types of pessaries. A lot of us use Crinone but there's also the compounded tablets and a few other brands.

Since in HT cycles your body really isn't ovulating normally on its own, yes some sort of prog support is necessary since your body wouldn't be producing the progesterone levels it naturally would. They artificially control all of the ovulation process and your usual hormones aren't working, so you wouldn't be secreting enough prog yourself to support a pregnancy.

I think Janse is cycling the old fashioned way, just with monitoring from her doc's office. :)

LacePrincess
January 26th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I think Janse is cycling the old fashioned way, just with monitoring from her doc's office. :)

Oh gotcha. Oops, my bad!!

janse
January 26th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Thank you for your replies

I have slow rising bbt at the moment.
Am thinking of waiting to see what 3dpo temps do.
So concerned I will end up with another cyst. Testing day will be in the same week as my 8 year anniversary with DH.

The Anchor
January 26th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Are you doing IUI? I didn't require progesterone for my IUI or my FET (my FET was a natural cycle, no PGD).

janse
January 26th, 2015, 05:48 PM
The Anchor
Nope. Just a natural cycle with scan and bloods for monitoring.
I guess that is why i am confused re progesterone being standard for everyone

The Anchor
January 27th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Well I don't think it's required for a natural cycle, I do find it odd that it's standard, even if your progesterone levels are fine? It wasn't standard at my clinic...

atomic sagebrush
January 27th, 2015, 12:34 PM
I really honestly think it's nothing more than "that's the way we always did it" and a reluctance on the part of the doc's office not to appear like they are doing everyhting in their power to help you.

janse
January 28th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Well I can't work out if I am 2 or 3dpo, but I am waiting to see what happens.

If I am not pregnant, no amount of expensive and kinda gross pessaries is going to change that.

atomic sagebrush
January 30th, 2015, 04:10 PM
:agree: totally with that and personally I think it can be heartbreaking for people because they start having pg symptoms due to the progesterone, get all excited, only to have BFN and AF. :(

janse
February 1st, 2015, 09:00 PM
Progesterone test came back today at 33 :D

The Anchor
February 2nd, 2015, 02:51 PM
Progesterone test came back today at 33 :D

:agree:

janse
February 4th, 2015, 02:47 AM
And happiness is gone.

Bloods today were neg and progesterone down to 31. When I mentioned progesterone being 33 only two days ago, she said that was the lower end of normal :(

They are wanting me to start pessaries tonight and come back on Saturday.

I came down with PND just before my youngest turned 1. Struggled through that medicated for 2 years. When DS was around 2, I started asking about having one more. He just turned 4 and DH agreed about 8 months ago to try again.

Guess I could have spend 3 years without birth control. Now I want to get pregnant, it isn't happening. Universe gave me an out today as DS hurt himself at daycare and I needed to pick him up. He wasn't hurt that bad, but it meant I could cry at home without work knowing what was happening.

It is just getting harder each failed cycle and I feel like I am disappointing DH. Esp seeing his SA was great.

Plus I told my workmates that we were trying- 2/3 kids were one or two cycles before BFP so of course they are excited thinking it will happen each month :( Plus 4 staff members in my section of 10 are expecting babies.

Just makes you want to give up and second guess all my decisions re progesterone.

atomic sagebrush
February 4th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I totally understand, but I stand by your decision as that is what evidence based medicine indicates was the correct one.

I am thinking of you and hoping for good news if not this month then very soon.