PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

lilacforlulu
July 31st, 2011, 11:27 AM
My husband was offered a promotion with his company there. I've never been there and we're going to check it out in a couple weeks, but before we go I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about the area. Figured there might be someone on here familiar with the area. :)

nuthinbutpink
July 31st, 2011, 12:36 PM
My husband was offered a promotion with his company there. I've never been there and we're going to check it out in a couple weeks, but before we go I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about the area. Figured there might be someone on here familiar with the area. :)

It's famous for The Masters golf tournament that's there every year. Go to www.greatschools.com and you can research schools. The site gives you lots of demographic stats, income levels, test scores, etc.

lilacforlulu
August 1st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks NBP! Looking into the schools has been disappointing, right now my son goes to one of the top schools in the country and is in a great gifted and IB program and there doesn't seem to be anything comparable in the area :(

nuthinbutpink
August 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks NBP! Looking into the schools has been disappointing, right now my son goes to one of the top schools in the country and is in a great gifted and IB program and there doesn't seem to be anything comparable in the area :(

I would look into private schools in the area.

LolaInLove
August 2nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Hey, I live in Columbia, SC....just a skip down the highway. Augusta is a nice town, but not anything metro at all. If you are moving from a bigger city, you will have some culture shock. I am not sure about the schools. I would say overall it is a quiet southern town. Hope you have a good visit!

lilacforlulu
August 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
I would look into private schools in the area.

Yeah, it looks like that would be our best option--11,000 a year I was hoping we could use differently!

Hey, I live in Columbia, SC....just a skip down the highway. Augusta is a nice town, but not anything metro at all. If you are moving from a bigger city, you will have some culture shock. I am not sure about the schools. I would say overall it is a quiet southern town. Hope you have a good visit!

Thanks Lola! I really don't want to move, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. We live close to my parents and brother and I hate the idea of moving away from them, but my husband's career is important too. He agreed I may have some culture shock in Augusta (he's goes there every year for work), but hopefully I like it when we go, he really wants to take this job!

LolaInLove
August 3rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Lilac, you will, it is a nice town, and the other nice thing is it is not too far from Atlanta or Columbia if you need some city action. You could day trip to Columbia easily (an hour drive) if you wanted to shop or go to our amazing zoo, stuff like that. Columbia is a super family-friendly town. And I've never heard anything bad about Augusta.....it is very pretty there. I'll be interested to hear what you think after you visit!

I COMPLETELY understand about not wanting to leave family but needing to do so for your hub's job. That is a hard sacrifice. My family lives in Houston and Austin, TX, and my DH's in Detroit and Chicago, so we have to make a major trip to visit either. But, gotta do what you gotta do, yea?

And maybe there is somewhere near that you could cycle again, if you are trying again? Atlanta? I am sure you know better than I do!

lilacforlulu
August 4th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks Lola! I haven't been to Columbia since I was a kid, nice to know that there's a lot to do there and that it isn't that far. My BIL and his family live in Atlanta, so it would be nice to be closer to him, our kids are close in age to our nieces and we don't get to see them enough now.

I'm going to cycle one more time in CA and then consider somewhere else. Atlanta actually does have a good clinic, so if we moved near, that would definitely be an option. We delayed our trip because we thought the tropical storm might hit us this weekend, but I'll let you know how our trip was after we go. Thanks again for your input!

LolaInLove
August 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Anytime, hun! Good to hear Atl has a good clinic, I am not surprised. That would be easy for you, I think the drive is only 2 hours from Augusta. And of course, since your BIL lives there, you would have a place to stay....and you probably have heard of all the fun there too. Looking forward to hearing your impression. Have a safe & fun trip!