PDA

View Full Version : Boy/girl twins any idea whats going on?

queen-of-harts
July 31st, 2011, 12:42 PM
any theories on whats going on when boy/girl twins are concieved? The envioronment would be the same right?

XXdreaming
July 31st, 2011, 01:25 PM
I was thinking about that the other day, if your body tends to sway more pink or more blue at the time of conception determining if you will conceive a girl this time or boy and then the b/g twins throw that off so my guess is there is a nuetral ground?

atomic sagebrush
July 31st, 2011, 01:58 PM
Shettles claimed that boy-girl twins supported his theory because of timing. Then again he also claimed that BB twins and GG twins also supported his theory. Actually it could be true, depending on the timing of the eggs being released, I suppose.

I think boy-girl twins totally fly in the face of the FGD, the pH theory, and the ion theories, and I had forgot to put that in my Calcium Conundrum essay so thank you for asking and reminding me!!!

My theory is that sperm numbers at the egg sway gender somehow, and diet/lifestyle weeds out or increases the numbers of sperm that make it to the egg by altering sperm count/motility and making the woman's environment more friendly or more hostile to sperm. So BG twins are caused when one of the eggs, just from sheer luck, has only a few sperm attempting to fertilize it (and the X in that scenario tends to win the race) while the other egg, again, just from sheer luck, has a lot of sperm available to fertilize it (and the Y in that scenario tends to win the race.)

rainbowflower
July 31st, 2011, 02:42 PM
B-G twins are less common than you'd expect, though - BB and GG twins are more common than probability would suggest they are. I saw the statistics somewhere else, so it suggests that environment is a factor really... and we all know that it's always possible to have an opposite no matter how good the sway

atomic sagebrush
July 31st, 2011, 02:51 PM
Oh, I def. believe that environment is a factor and diet is HUGE, but if the idea is that the egg is somehow "primed" to receive a sperm of a particular electrical charge or sperm only "like" certain pH or mineral content in the CM, then I don't see how BG twins could be possible. Because all the eggs would have developed in the same ovaries under the same diet, and all the sperm had to pass through the same environment to reach the egg.

I do think my theory explains the twinning factor...less sperm all together would mean less sperm available to fertilize both eggs = GG; more sperm all together would mean more sperm available to fertilize both eggs = BB; and then BG twins would happen in EITHER situation, when sheer dumb luck happened to lead to a big cloud of sperm at one egg while the other only got a few, then BG.

lindi
July 31st, 2011, 04:51 PM
Atomic, are the eggs released at the same time with fraternal twins? I would imagine if one is released a few minutes before the other, your idea of one egg getting "more" sperm makes so much sense... the egg sends out little signals to attract the sperm to it, and all the sperm would head in one direction and then pop, another comes out, but most of the sperm are already busy so there you have 2 eggs with different conditions in terms of sperm. Maybe B/G twins are caused by a greater time lapse between the two eggs being ovulated and B/B G/G are a closer gap in time?

XXdreaming
July 31st, 2011, 04:57 PM
So 2 eggs pop out of the same ovary? Is there a chance that one can pop out of each ovary? And the majority of the sperm decided to take a right and then a few took a left?

lindi
July 31st, 2011, 05:01 PM
So 2 eggs pop out of the same ovary? Is there a chance that one can pop out of each ovary? And the majority of the sperm decided to take a right and then a few took a left?

Yeah I don't know- thought of this too- would work the same way right? maybe B/B and G/G are same ovary, B/G are different ones? Don't have a clue about how double ovulation works.

lindi
July 31st, 2011, 05:04 PM
OK- yes, you can ovulate from each ovary within a 24 hour period. So shettles probably thought a girl would be conceived first and then a boy, but from what atomic was saying it would really be the boy first and any leftover straggler sperm would go for the second egg and that would be the girl.

rainbowflower
August 1st, 2011, 04:18 AM

normally when someone ovulates twice it's one egg from each ovary.

"The great sperm race" documentary (definitely recommend watching it) suggested that the sperm are more drawn towards the ovary where the egg is, but I've read other articles online that say that they think 50% of the sperm go to each ovary. Perhaps that depends on when intercourse takes place.

Sassy
August 1st, 2011, 05:58 AM
Super interesting stuff gals! While I'll defer to the experts on this one, I was of the impression that IF you are going to pop out two eggs it will happen within a 12-24hr period and is pot luck whether its from the different ovaries, but I believed it was more than likely from the same one....but I'll go and check that out again and am happy to be corrected! Also, just because you have the ability to hyperovulate does not mean it will happen every cycle. Conversely, it may happen more often than you realise and one egg gets fertilised and the other does not therefore resulting in a singleton pregnancy.

But the idea of B/G twins while swaying is certainly interesting. I think Atomic's theory is incredibly sound. I also think that some things are just beyond our control!

atomic sagebrush
August 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Atomic, are the eggs released at the same time with fraternal twins? I would imagine if one is released a few minutes before the other, your idea of one egg getting "more" sperm makes so much sense... the egg sends out little signals to attract the sperm to it, and all the sperm would head in one direction and then pop, another comes out, but most of the sperm are already busy so there you have 2 eggs with different conditions in terms of sperm. Maybe B/G twins are caused by a greater time lapse between the two eggs being ovulated and B/B G/G are a closer gap in time?

No, they're not necessarily but they can be. They can be released up to 24 hours apart - unusual, but it can happen. That's kinda what I suspect, because it may be the follicular fluid and the egg's temperature that attracts the sperm to the egg at first, and only once the sperm gets up close to the egg, can it "sense" the egg's presence.

atomic sagebrush
August 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM

Yes, that is absolutely possible. 15-20 eggs develop in BOTH ovaries every month and most times only one makes it to maturity. Both scenarios can happen - one ovary can release two eggs or both ovaries can release one egg, or in the case of higher order multiples, even more than one or two eggs.

atomic sagebrush
August 1st, 2011, 12:13 PM
OK- yes, you can ovulate from each ovary within a 24 hour period. So shettles probably thought a girl would be conceived first and then a boy, but from what atomic was saying it would really be the boy first and any leftover straggler sperm would go for the second egg and that would be the girl.

I think there are a lot of diff. scenarios that could lead to a clump of sperm hanging out together reaching one egg and then only two or three making it to the other egg. (It takes more than one sperm to fertilize the egg.) The dynamics of the female reproductive tract are always changing, like the water in a ****** carrying debris, and it seems logical to assume there would be places where sperm would pool and other places where it would flow more freely.

queen-of-harts
August 1st, 2011, 02:15 PM
Great response ladies,this makes more sense to me now with the theories you mention.I was thinking about this subject because my mother is a fraternal twin GG and i know this is more common than BG.I wish I could get some gg twins!

XXdreaming
August 2nd, 2011, 12:34 AM
Well you have a really good chance for twins since your mom is a faternal twin and you have multiple pregnancies, hope you get a set of beautiful twin girls :)

zanacal
August 2nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
I have two friends expecting twins at the moment - one lady has 3 boys and is expecting BB twins and one lady has a boy and a girl and is expecting GG twins. There's obviously something in the air - good luck!

queen-of-harts
August 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Well i always wondered about my grandmother if she had the hyperovulate gene or if it was the fact that she was dealing with reproductive cancer,nobody is sure what kind exactly. She was sick from the time she had my mom and her twin,they oppened her up to see what was happening i suppose and the feeling was according to family that just made it spread faster,she passed when my mom was 3.I always wondered if ovarian cancer or such could cause hyperovulation possibly.

queen-of-harts
August 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Zanacal nice job on the weightloss! awesome job lady!!

zanacal
August 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thank you :D

I'm sorry to read about your grandmother, so very sad x

queen-of-harts
August 2nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Thank you :D

I'm sorry to read about your grandmother, so very sad x

Yeah my mom had a rough go at life,her dad died of a massive heart attack when she was 15 also so she was deprived of soo much and her "stepmom" used to hit them out of the blue saying "ugh you look like your mother" im surprized my mom turned out soo good.

atomic sagebrush
August 6th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Great response ladies,this makes more sense to me now with the theories you mention.I was thinking about this subject because my mother is a fraternal twin GG and i know this is more common than BG.I wish I could get some gg twins!

Oh, I KNOW! Wouldn't that be a dream come true!!

I was looking up stats on this and they are ALL over the map. I am not totally sure we can KNOW off of the Internet info, what the actual numbers are. It is clear that some people (even experts in books) are reporting straight statistics on what SHOULD be true (which would be 50% BG, 25% BB and 25% GG) rather than what the numbers really and truly are, and I've done enough reading into gender ratio to know that these numbers cannot be true.

I would predict (altho I have nothing to back this up) that there will be more girl twins born, simply because boys are more fragile than girls are and twin pregnancies are harder to maintain. I also predict that more boy twins are conceived and then lost - and obviously, it's the numbers of twins conceived rather than born, that matter for our swaying investigations.

My uncles are BB fraternal twins and my grandma went to term with them 55 years ago!!! And they are so different looking that you can't even tell they're brothers. I also think that Marshall's twin we lost was a boy because it was a placenta previa which are more likely to be boys.

If you want twins, I urge everyone to take some extra folic acid - not because it makes you have more boys, which is commonly reported as true on the Internet, but because it helps your body sustain twin pregnancies. According to what I"ve read, any link between folic and twinning is because the folic helps both twins to survive, not because the folic increases your odds of conceiving twins.

maidentomother
December 15th, 2013, 11:34 AM
All the non-identical twins in my family are BG. My maternal grandmother had BG twin siblings, and went on to produce 2 Gs and a set of BG twins. Sadly the B was essentially stillborn a month before the G, my mother, was born. She then had me, my brother, and miscarried BG twins in her late 40s. I conceived BG twins in 2012, and in that particular scenario I know that one egg came from my right ovary and the other from the left, nearly 4 days after the first egg.

Both my mother and I have/had 1 or more hyperovulatory cycles per year, and in both our cases there are usually multiple days between the two eggs - they are NOT released at the same time, and we also get two LH surges in those months. In my case, I do usually release both eggs from the same ovary, to the best of my knowledge. I don't know about my mother, grandmother or great-grandmother. It is rare for me to release two eggs close together, and I have ovulated up to two weeks apart. It's quite frustrating bc there is no predictable pattern.

I know in my case there was a cut-off, as I had BD'ed the day of my first O, several hours before actual O to the best of my knowledge, then didn't BD again at all. So there were definitely less sperm around when Oed again 4 days later! So far it seems like my CM, which is often EWCM for half my cycle, does tend to be acidic. I started testing with pH strips a few days after O last cycle, though, so I have not yet tested my CM before/around O. At the time I conceived I was actually eating a pretty bad diet for me (mostly I ate cereal w/ almond milk, granola bars, and popsicles, all organic) though I was heavier and not losing weight at all. I was on a higher dose of morphine, had been taking prenatal vitamins and fish oil for months, and was taking aspirin-like drugs for rheumatoid arthritis.