PDA

View Full Version : breastfeeding

Babybeaublue
February 5th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Any tips/advice greatly appreciated
I really want to do it this time but have no - one to ask irl.
Thanks!

atomic sagebrush
February 5th, 2015, 10:06 AM
What type of issues have you had in the past??

My advice is just nurse, nurse, nurse, as much as you can at first with no schedules and if BB's get terribly sore, stay strong because for most of us it doesn't last and they get the worst right before they're about to get better.

Mamato3?
February 5th, 2015, 12:45 PM
I had many problems with my first DD basically I had the first milk 10 days post birth when I was ready to give up. So my OB suggested that the second time around I would have my DH basically nurse my nipples the last month of my pregnancy and I had great results cause I had colostrum about a week before my c-section around 37weeks! Also I was told to drink plenty of water and eat lots of soup and alcohol free beer. Best of luck!!! Breastfeeding is amazing,so worth the trouble!!!

atomic sagebrush
February 5th, 2015, 12:51 PM
That can cause early labor and I personally do not recommend it if you haven't been doing it all along (such as tandem nursing where your body is already used to it.) Nipple stimulation is one way that midwifes use to induce labor for some people.

It is the hormones of childbirth that cause your colostrum and milk to come in. with subsequent pregnancies your body can get better at the process. :)

Babybeaublue
February 5th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Thanks
With my first 3 I just didn't want to. It's not really the norm here and I don't know anyone irl who has done it.
With my 4th I tried myself without asking for help but it just felt like she was getting nothing. I expected to see something come out or at least in her mouth but no. I gave up because I was more afraid of her not getting anything and starving!

maidentomother
February 5th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Where do you live? How long did you try for with your 4th? I imagine BFing without support or much knowledge and where it's not frequently done would be quite a trial. I think it's great that you tried and want to again!

Babybeaublue
February 5th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I'm from the UK and although there are lots of breastfeeding mums here, I just don't know any!! I think because of this I felt embarrassed to ask anyone and felt like I had to hide away to do it :(

Boom
February 5th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Hi babybeaublue,

IRL I am a doula and a peer supporter for the NHS for new mums learning to breastfeed.
Pm me your number or email address or even just your questions and I will gladly give you support xxxxx

Nahri
February 5th, 2015, 06:26 PM
You may also try La Leche League GB | friendly breastfeeding support from pregnancy onwards (http://www.laleche.org.uk/) they will usually have people in your area that are professionals and their US groups I know are fantastic for people just starting out or need a refresher!

Dreamofpink
February 5th, 2015, 07:50 PM
There are some really good groups on Facebook that can help you, if you're on fb that is.

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

kitkat18
February 6th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Baby beau I am so glad you asked us! I would look into doing a breastfeeding class, I would also watch you tube videos of women getting their babies to latch on. When you are in hospital ask the midwives every time you latch your baby on to make sure you have your baby latched on properly! I had a good friend that didn't with her first but set herself on a mission like you to learn heaps during pregnancy and she had no problems and loved it with her second. Its not for everyone and I would not hesitate to put my babies on the bottle if I had too but I found breast feeding so incredibly bonding and I really loved it. Good luck XX

Babybeaublue
February 6th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Thanks
I've been watching lots of videos! I'm not on fb tho.
I'm worried that because u are sent home 6 hours after the birth, I won't get much help.

kitkat18
February 6th, 2015, 04:23 AM
Gosh baby beau that's fast! I think following up pre or post birth with la leche as Nahri suggested would be a great move. If you explained your situation would they let you stay one night in hospital? Most midwives think breast is best so this might sway them? Just a thought! Breast is best is soooo big here in NZ which is great but it does make those who can't for whatever reason feel awful which feels wrong to me X

Babybeaublue
February 6th, 2015, 04:32 AM
No one has even discussed it with me. I was just asked at my first appointment if I was going to breastfeed and I said I'd like to try. Basically they said good. That was it!

Boom
February 6th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Where in UK are you?

Babybeaublue
February 6th, 2015, 08:54 AM
La leche is too far away from me :/
I'm in N.I

Boom
February 6th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Go to breastfedbabies.org and put in your nearest town. I put Belfast and there were loads of entries.

Like I said if you want personalised support PM me

atomic sagebrush
February 6th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks
With my first 3 I just didn't want to. It's not really the norm here and I don't know anyone irl who has done it.
With my 4th I tried myself without asking for help but it just felt like she was getting nothing. I expected to see something come out or at least in her mouth but no. I gave up because I was more afraid of her not getting anything and starving!

I know it's nervewracking at first but as long as baby is pooping and having pee diapers and seems happy then they are getting enough. YOu don't need to see milk in their mouths or anything coming out - heck, I've nursed 5 and I still rarely see anything coming out even when I try.

At first, there really isn't much coming out because the baby's tummy is soo tiny. The best thing to do is just nurse and nurse and the stimulation to the nipple will tell your body "make milk!"

atomic sagebrush
February 6th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Boom, you ROCK! :superhero:

Babybeaublue
February 6th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Thank you both x
Boom I'm trying to get my pm to work!

Babybeaublue
February 7th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Pm sent yesterday, hope I sent it to the right person!

dkay1
February 12th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Give it a go. I'm sure you will get there. First baby I got sore and so did many of my friends. After two weeks we were all fine. I think it just takes a bit for your skin to get used to it. Second child I had no problems. There also a few other things that come with breastfeeding but the pro's definitely out way the cons.

BrightSky
February 13th, 2015, 07:40 AM
^^ agree with the above, if u can get through those first few weeks, where it can be slightly uncomfortable u will be fine. I didn't really enjoy it at first but after awhile it became second nature. Good support is key, I had a breastfeeding clinic nearby that I could drop into with any issues, not sure if there is something like that in your area? Nursing pads that u can put in the fridge helped in the early days, also some lightweight tv series, u do a lot of sitting around haha
I only gave up a few months ago as I went back to work, I was really sad about. Really looking forward to it with the next one. Good luck!! X

dkay1
February 13th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I know it's one of the things I really enjoyed. My second baby was prem so was tube fed for the first two and half weeks. But it's amazing he still picked it up. It was lucky I had breastfeed before otherwise I may not have managed.

iamregina
March 22nd, 2016, 09:36 PM
This is one article I came across the internet entitled "What to Wear When Breastfeeding (http://www.milkandlove.com.au/blog/what-to-wear-when-breastfeeding/)". It's interesting and helpful! Also, another post from the Australian Breastfeeding Association (all things you need to know about breastfeeding)- https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/your-baby-arrives/breastfeeding-faqs

I do hope they're useful! ;)