PDA

View Full Version : Synthroid. Help needed.

Eneli
February 13th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Hi ladies,
I wud like some advice. Any of you take Synthroid? If so, can you explain me moré about it, and the chances of the offspring to inherit this health issue?
Thanks

maidentomother
February 13th, 2015, 12:30 PM
There are MANY different forms of genetic hypothyroidism so it really depends. Also some Europeans have non-genetic hypothyroidism due to very low iodine intake. My friend in her 40s plus her mother, both here in Germany, have this latter type. None of my friend's 4 kids have it though. On the flip side, my donor, his mother, and his maternal grandmother all have a dominant autosomal form of genetic hypothyroidism, and I'm just hoping my kids don't get it. 50% chance unfortunately, though of course it's very treatable so not the end of the world.

mommymachine
February 13th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I am been on synthroid for 8 years. During pregnancy and nursing I need to have it checked every 6 weeks since it changes so dramatically, but then about a year after the baby is born it goes stable. My mom has thyroid issues as do my brother and myself, however I was different. Both my mother and brother had hypothyroidism and I had Graves disease and had to have my thyroid radiated/destroyed. My other brother does not have any thyroid problems. And my brother who has thyroid problems, has been able to keep his stable for years and years. So, it is annoying sometimes, but super manageable. Just one pill everyday basically.

Eneli
February 14th, 2015, 02:12 AM
Thanks ladies.

maidentomother
February 14th, 2015, 05:37 AM
Ohh that's a hard call. I would probably use the other ED.