PDA

View Full Version : PSA - PLEASE childproof your exterior doors. This tragic story WILL make you cry.

LacePrincess
February 19th, 2015, 09:06 PM
I've been crying off and on all day about this absolutely horrible tragedy that happened just last night in Toronto. A little 3yo boy managed to wander out of his apartment in the middle of the night, on a night that hit -18C (that's 0F and even less with the windchill). It's so cold right now that Southern Ontario is still in a deep freeze frostbite warning state.

Warning, this story is incredibly horribly heartbreaking. I think that image of the little toddler, clad only in his tshirt, diaper, and boots (caught on the security cam) will haunt me forever.

Elijah March, 3-year-old boy who went missing overnight, dies in hospital - Toronto - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/elijah-march-3-year-old-boy-who-went-missing-overnight-dies-in-hospital-1.2962989)

Please PLEASE PLEASE I beg everyone, childproof your exterior doors if you have young rugrats!!! I shudder to think how this could happen to just anyone. 3-4yo's are curious little things but often their physical capabilities outstrip their good sense.

I highly recommend a product like The Door Guardian, they make them for regular and patio type doors.

https://thedoorguardian.com/product/the-door-guardian/

Even better if you have a security system, make sure the alarm is on at night. Both to keep burglars out, and young'uns in! I admit at those ages (when my boys were still in night diapers) I even locked them IN their rooms after they tried to pull an escape act on me.

If that little boy could get out of an apartment building, with at least the apartment door & deadbolt, elevator, and probably TWO sets of exterior doors out of the building, just think how much easier it could happen in a house. Please don't think it can't happen to you! This story will stick in my head forever. :(

TRL
February 19th, 2015, 09:22 PM
So heartbreaking!

3 boys and 1 HT princess!

Babyxx
February 19th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Oh this was the worst story ever. It was on the news all day here and I also can't stop thinking about it. It had to happen on the coldest day ever. It is such a tragic shame, I feel so incredibly bad for that family, and will remember this forever.

LacePrincess
February 20th, 2015, 07:51 AM
It's just the worst thing ever. :( I keep tearing up about it, because all I can think is 'There but for the Grace of God go I'.

We've had our boys pull escape acts on us, nothing happened and we mostly joke about them now, but they could've SO EASILY. It wasn't until DS2 opened the front door to a door-to-door salesman, while I was home AND during the day, that I realized the need to secure outside doors! With DS2 he managed to get around those child resistant door knob covers, the deadbolt, AND one of those swing latches. You just can't underestimate them.

I can just see this happening so easily because people don't think of exterior doors being a danger. The moms I talked to at dance class last night were all like wow, I never even thought of that. And me neither until my kid tried it. That poor poor family, I can't imagine their pain right now, and all I can think is if I were unluckier than I was that could've been us. :(

maidentomother
February 20th, 2015, 08:11 AM
So tragic. :( Though I am angry at the parents. I am an amputee and cripple due to 2 instances of parental negligence. At least I'm alive.

This is why the house I am building will have locks on all the doors throughout the house! It has a ton of windows, and now I'm wondering if I should pay extra for window locks? The whole South, long side of the house is floor to ceiling windows (not sliding doors).

LacePrincess
February 20th, 2015, 08:27 AM
maiden, I'm sorry about what you've had to go through. :( That's awful. But I'm glad you made it!

From what I understand, the little boy was at his grandparent's place, not his parents. I can only imagine this horrible tragedy will be absolutely devastating for the family. Apartments are difficult too, as they usually have metal doors and then the landlord would have issues if you drilled into them, etc. Kids that age are squirrelly and clever, and near misses happen to a lot of parents. It was just a cruel, cruel twist of fate that it had to happen on such an unforgivingly cold night. I don't blame anyone, I just hurt so damned much for the whole family.

I really don't know if it's practical to put locks on windows, but IMO a thorough security system would do the trick. We have our alarm system armed for doors and motion sensors, but you can add window sensors too. It wouldn't keep a clever child from opening it but it would sure as heck wake you up if they did!

atomic sagebrush
February 20th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Gosh this is such a fear of mine!!! So sad. I know the temptation is to blame the parents but honestly you have to sleep sometime.

maidentomother
February 20th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks Lace. Yes there will be an alarm system on all the doors & windows. Hopefully that is enough!

The windows are custom built and my architect initially offered them with locks but I decided it was silly since someone could just break the glass to get in. All the handles to open the windows will be up high and probably be beyond a child's capability until maybe age 6? I will test with a little kid though. I live in the woods on a lot of land so if a kid got out, they might not be found for a long time. Kinda scary to consider. :(

LacePrincess
February 20th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Ok being paranoid as I am (and thankfully so!) after DS2's incident what we did was:

-The Door Guardian on exterior doors. Though I'm limited how high I can put them since *I* have to reach them too, and I'm only 5 feet tall!

-ADT installed security alarm with motion detectors. It is turned on with downstairs motion detectors at night, and it has a 'stay' mode where you can arm the exterior doors even when you're home, and I use that if I'm home with the kids.

For windows, all ours are casement windows that look like this:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/436/423/313/313423436_953.JPG

So all we had to do to keep them from being able to open them is remove the handle and lock them away, which is really easy for those since it's just a tiny screw in the bottom. So we've done that too!!

And yeah, you got to sleep sometime, but in my case when DS2 opened the door, I'd simply been out of sight of him for less than 5 min and missed the doorbell, so really it takes no time at all for things to happen! Reading the comments on the news site, so many parents have had their rugrats escape on them, it happens a lot. Just not usually with such horrid consequences. :(

Just now on the news they were talking about fundraising for the poor little Elijah's funeral. :( It's really struck a cord with so many people I think and it just makes my heart hurt so much.

maidentomother
February 20th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Lace, I really appreciate all that info! I'm hoping it will help me build a child friendly house at least for the early years. It's a small cottage that will be the guest house (I have many friends/family with kids, too). I'm still waiting (nearly 3 years) on the permit to build my forever home. They do not like people building outside of the village housing zone here in Germany.

I think the absolute worst tragedy is losing a child. :(

XXforhubby
February 20th, 2015, 11:00 PM
I just saw this. What a terrible tragedy [emoji22]! I don't know what to say. Poor, poor baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk