PDA

View Full Version : Names

Dana-Alicia
March 4th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I keep thinking about babynames and I'm not even pregnant :think: But I love daydreaming about the day I find out I'm having a daughter, it helps me cope with my GD. And it would really help me if I found the perfect babyname, so I can relax on that part. So now I keep bothering DH with randomly saying names to him, we'll be like in the car and all of a sudden I'll say: what about Lacey? And he'll be like: no! and please not again, just stop already! Lol. So I'll bother you girls instead, I'm sure there's more crazy girls out there :highfive: I love romantic names, like Isabel, Arelie, Amelie, Aurora, Ayla, Seraphine etc. What do you think of these names? And what names do you LOVE? Give me lots and lots of names! :ballerina:

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2015, 01:33 PM
I LOVE names, I wish I had a kajillion kids so I could name all of them.

I like names that can go more than one way, where there is a cute nickname and then a more practical/serious name too. I always think "well, what if she is a Supreme Court judge when she grows up and her name is Cloudee-Skye". I prefer a bit more old-fashioned names too that are well known and easy to spell and pronounce, but not horrbly common either.

A couple names I liked but we couldn't use are Marjorie, Emmajean, Bernadette (Betty), Violet, Evelyn, and Colette

Dreamofpink
March 4th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I love Felicity Aurora for a girl. Together the names mean the dawn of happiness :) I also love Taliesin for a boy & have had it vetoed each time!

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

TaytumJ
March 4th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I love unique names that aren't too much like WHAT?! As a teacher, I see about a billion kids named Jake, Ashley, Hannah, etc. I really loved the name Jaxton until Sons of Anarchy blew up Jax and now it seems like everyone is naming their kid Jax.

So, my top choice for a boy right now is Cannon. I have my husband sold on Cannon Leo (his grandfather's first name). To me, this is a really strong, unique name, but not too out of this world crazy.

My top girl name is Dalis. I also love Scarlet and Ivy, but it seems like those names are really starting to grow in popularity. I'd love to hear more girl names as this seems to be what I struggle with most - there isn't one that I just absolutely love!

Dana-Alicia
March 4th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Oh I love Evelyn and Felicity, but our last name have a few F's in it, so all those names together would be too effy lol. My sons and daughter have old English names, so would like to stay in that area.

Pebbles&BamBam
March 4th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I love the name Audrey, think it's very classic

Dana-Alicia
March 4th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Oh yes, Scarlet, I love it! But my friend has that name already, so to me I can't use it anymore. And I agree with you on popular names, I want something that is refreshing but not too much like I made it up.

Lenhu816
March 4th, 2015, 03:19 PM
DH and I had such a HARD time with girl names. Only because it feels like since their a girl it has to just be PERFECT. Believe it or not we spent over 5 months trying to come up with the name that feels right for us while it only took us a couple of hours to find our ds name. Lol. We ended up with the name Adalyn Claire N. for dd. I also love the name Alice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrightSky
March 4th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I love thinking of names too. Love classic names for both boys and girls, but totally agree with atomic on girl names having a 'grown up' version in case they are the next prime minister ;) same for boys names too I guess, but they don't seem so cutesy! At the moment I love Clara, Cora, Evie (Evelyn), rose (Rosie), Alice, Josie (Josephine), Ava & Eva, Victoria, Isla, Stella and Eliza.

kitkat18
March 4th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Totally agree my boys are Billy and Charlie but William and Charles on their birth certificate that way they have the flexibility when they grow up. We are calling DD Hazel I love it because its pretty and cool but not overly girly I also love Rosa, Frankie, Ivy, Violet, Betty, Dot (Dorothy) for a girl boys I love Freddie, Theo, Frankie, Jimmy, James names are so much fun! X

BrightSky
March 4th, 2015, 06:27 PM
I love the name Hazel, good choice! My son is theo. I have a thing for old names, I also love Charlie (boy or girl), olive, Georgia, Edward and Thomas.

mommymachine
March 4th, 2015, 07:05 PM
I have an Aurora so I vote that:)

Dana-Alicia
March 5th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Ow I love Aurora so much, but in my country some people have a very hard RRRR so it would sound harsh, Aurrorrrra, not romantic at all lol. My husband is English though, so we would pronounce it English like our sons names, but everyone else would just ruin the name :( My eldest son has a name that is pronounced the same in English and my language, but my youngest ugh no people just don't get it right. And he has such a gorgeous name (with regards to privacy, his name is the lover of that famous story with I sol de ;) love it so much ).

atomic sagebrush
March 6th, 2015, 12:09 PM
:agree: also love Georgia!

1+2+3boys
March 10th, 2015, 03:57 AM
What a nice thread. I love to think of girls names too though try not to use too much time doing so. I wish I had not binned my girl names list I made before finding out the twins were both boys because I know it had some beautiful names but I guess they can't have been that great if I do not remember them. I was so disapointed that I threw it out in anger.
A name I have always loved since I was a girl and secretly call 'my daughter' is Bernedette but Dp does not like it because the Germans (he is German) would say it really weird something like Beer-neh-deht-eh.
I like old and different names but for some reason I am musing over boys names that could be used for a girl like Felix and Frankie which is strange when I have always wanted to use a pretty name. I like French names too like Amelie but that seems to be gaining popularity.
Sorry for waffling on, will get back to you when I think of more names.

Isis is pretty and I like Claudia but the Germans say it like Cloud-ia. Dp wants to call 'our daughter' Manon which is French so is said Ma-no. He loves it but I am not so keen because New Zealanders butcher French words and names. It is so tricky. I think naming our girl will be a HUGE task so it would be nice to have some idea before hand

BrightSky
March 10th, 2015, 06:02 AM
I love, love the name Claudia too! Except hubby thinks it sounds like a stripper name?!? I have no idea why?! Claude for a boy is nice too! Love French names, Adele is one of my favourites!

maidentomother
March 10th, 2015, 10:15 AM
I love love LOVE names! I have been collecting them since I could write. Around age 10 I developed a fantasy of my grown up life which involved having 6 sets of twins (half girls, half boys) and I had them all named including middle names. Amazingly I still like all those names, though sadly many have become much more popular or are a bit too common for my taste now.

I can't share details bc I'm superstitious (I fear any mention of my favoured names anywhere online will lead to them becoming super popular instantly), but I like classic, not made up/creative names that are easy to spell and pronounce. I also have very strong feelings about most letters of the alphabet and most phonetic sounds. I mostly like overtly feminine girl's names that end in A and overtly masculine boys names that end in N or to a lesser extent R. First names MUST have at 2-3 syllables, maybe 4 max, NEVER 1. I would prefer that the first names not be in the top 100 in any country in the world for the past 15 years, but I think I might have to bend on that bc tgere are some reasonably popular names I just adore.

I tend to like Celtic, French, and Scandinavian origin names, also some ancient Latin & Greek. I am not a fan of most German, Latin (Spanish/Italian etc) or anything unEuropean in origin.

I hope to raise my kids primarily in the Germany but with months of each year in France and the US or Australia. I absolutely hate how Germans ruin the pronunciation of so many names, as 1+2+3 described, plus the J pronounced as Y is especially obnoxious (I hate the Yuh sound). And French pronounce things differently but usually beautifully, so that's not so bad. Either way the names will need to cross-translate decently, or at least acceptably.

dloui128
March 10th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I always liked the name Arden but DH would never go for it, I soooo wish he would have

Linzshine32
March 10th, 2015, 03:17 PM
We are due with a girl in July and are going to name her Lena.

Ugee
March 10th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I really love Clara but my DH has said a big NO to it :( I have to accept it as I wouldnt chose one of his favourite names with DS1 and 2.
I also like: Alice, Amelie, Lila, Lilia, Cecile, Amira, Bella, Lottie (Charlotte), Harriete (Hattie), Pipa and Penny :)

Dreamofpink
March 10th, 2015, 03:36 PM
I really love Clara but my DH has said a big NO to it :( I have to accept it as I wouldnt chose one of his favourite names with DS1 and 2.
I also like: Alice, Amelie, Lila, Lilia, Cecile, Amira, Bella, Lottie (Charlotte), Harriete (Hattie), Pipa and Penny :)

Ooh, I love the names Clara, Alice & Harriet from your list :D

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

The Anchor
March 10th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Copied and pasted my list! LOL!
Lacey
Charlotte
Seraphina
Caitlin
Kayleigh
Camille
Katie
Kennedy
Haley
Josie
Kinsley
Ava
Cassidy

maidentomother
March 10th, 2015, 04:55 PM
I like Arden for a boy.

Dana-Alicia
March 12th, 2015, 07:33 AM
I just fell in love with the name Isla, but in my lamngiage people would say Eessslah, not good :S I guess A y la is a better option then, but my sister says it reminds her of Allah and I'm very much an atheist ;) Also like L ay la, but everytime I mention that name my husband starts singing: her name was Lola, she was a showgirl lalalala! He doesn't like any name I mention, but does he come up with a name? Noooo :nyd:

atomic sagebrush
March 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM
What about Lila? That's kind of a combo of those. Lana is also nice.

I think Lola is very cute and popular right now (not in a bad way). I don't think anyone will sing that old song! No one has ever sung "Oh Susanna" to my daughter, except for me haha.

Dana-Alicia
March 12th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Yes I love Lila as well! But my husband keeps dismissing name after name ugh. And does he come up with a name? Of course not. He says there's plenty of time for that once I get pregnant. But I want to talk about it now lol :D

atomic sagebrush
March 12th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Hey, my daughter didn't have a name till she was 24 hours old and we hadn't even started to discuss it till my water broke the day before!! o.O

Dana-Alicia
March 12th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Lol no I'm a controll freak, I could never do that!

atomic sagebrush
March 15th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I couldn't believe I managed it, but my DH was not really super excited about another baby coming along so I decided not to pressure him. I had def. thought about it before then. The funny thing was I hdn't even thought of Susannah until the night before but then the next morning a sunbeam shone on her and I just "knew" that she was Susannah. :p

Dana-Alicia
March 17th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Hahaha I can totally see the sunbeam moment, love her name! My husband isnt too happy about another baby either, relieved to know Im not the only one going through that and to see you got all your babies in the end. Although the older ones probably shouldn't be called babies anymore lol.

atomic sagebrush
March 18th, 2015, 01:38 PM
hey, my 23 year old is still a baby to me. :)

Dana-Alicia
March 19th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Of course he is, I bet it's very comfy when he sits on your lap ;)

atomic sagebrush
March 19th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Bahahaha!!! :rofl: