PDA

View Full Version : In my home state

Nahri
March 18th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Doc confirmed girl on the ultrasound and out comes baby boy! The grandmothers reaction was priceless

Ultrasound was wrong... it's a boy! Watch this family's surprise - Parents - TODAY.com (http://www.today.com/parents/ultrasound-was-wrong-its-boy-watch-familys-surprise-2D80552811)

covered in blue
March 18th, 2015, 01:23 AM
Haha that's cute. At least it turned out alright. Hope it doesn't happen to anyone here though!

Nahri
March 18th, 2015, 01:56 AM
me too! I would be in total shock! My first thought when I read the article was where are her ultrasounds I WANT TO SEE! lol My next thought was oh good next my mother will be calling and telling me I can't be sure of my upcoming DD like she has said both times gender was confirmed at 2 different facilities.

atomic sagebrush
March 18th, 2015, 01:02 PM
I thought the mom was a little disappointed seeming (the baby's mom, not the grandma). I know there are quite a few gals on here who really want 2 girls and even if she didn't originally, I bet she'd gotten used to the idea by then. I really hate it when people have these misleading ultrasound results.

belleboi
March 18th, 2015, 01:19 PM
This is actually terrifying for me! lol. I know I'm the opposite situation but I made the mistake of reading the comments on Facebook where this article is posted and every other comment is about how the same thing happened to them...was told girl turned into a boy, and many that said they were told boy and it's a girl. ugh, so disheartening. And now I'm even more worried about my anatomy scan next week.

Ugee
March 18th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Omg please don't let this happen to me!!!

atomic sagebrush
March 18th, 2015, 01:49 PM
It happens rarely, but not rarely enough! I know of several people who it has happened to (almost always girl turning out to be boy)

atomic sagebrush
March 18th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Ugee, usually when it does, the original ultrasound is a bit dodgy - done too early or too late or the tech is really just a nitwit - we ALL saw your pics and all thought it was a girl! :)

kitkat18
March 18th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Oh dear I really did not need to hear this at 37 weeks!! I'm paranoid enough as it is X

maidentomother
March 18th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I agree the mom sounded a bit disappointed. Personally I would love (and prefer) to have 2 girls over 1 girl, 1 boy. For DC3 I probably won't care or may sway boy, if I end up having more than 2. But there are definitely plenty of women who see 2 girls as a dream family. And some men, too. I know I've seen other ladies with my preference post on here from time to time, usually in the ultrasound forum.

This is why I plan on only 1 ultrasound per pregnancy (unless there's a complication) and a blood test ASAP and well before the US. Bloodwork is soooo much more reliable.

Nahri
March 18th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Human error is always going to exist when it comes to ultrasounds. One doc cited 95% certainty only and thats because a human being still has to read them. Sites like this to get multiple opinions as well as the opinions on the scans from different techs at different times help you get the most accurate picture. Don't take too much stock in the commentary from users of that site either. Remember its a huge all over the world sample size like this site is. You wouldn't see as many twins as we get on this site just in your home state. If we saw this womans ultrasound who knows we'd either say too close to call or maybe they were just way wrong.

atomic sagebrush
March 19th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Even if she was initially disappointed that it was a second girl, I think that even when you start off without a preference and are told something, think about that for 5 months, get used to it, it's going to be like the "death of a dream" really. (I had no gender preference when I got pg with my 3rd boy, it was only after all the OWT and stuff indicated girl that I developed one, and I"d imagine an ultrasound would be a zillion times worse) She said something like "everything we have is pink" and I thought Oh gosh, I can't even imagine having to do alll that work right when you come home with a new baby. I'm sure she'd washed it all and prob. couldn't return any of it, either. :/

maidentomother
March 19th, 2015, 01:26 PM
In the comments apparently the stores let her return/exchange pretty much everything, even though she'd washed it. Very nice of them!

PrimalMamma
March 20th, 2015, 09:23 PM
I know a lady who was told boy, & ended up with a girl. It was terrible - blue nursery, blue EVERYTHING, & a dad in the armed forces who already had a daughter & was desperate for a son. It was horrible.

atomic sagebrush
March 21st, 2015, 03:14 PM
:(

pink_bean
March 21st, 2015, 03:37 PM
I thought she seemed disappointed, too. But she didn't necessarily prefer a 2 girl family. She may have just gotten attached to what she thought she was having. The rest of her family seemed overjoyed and whoever she was Facetiming said "you got your little man" which made it sound like she wanted a boy. The dad seemed elated.
as much as I wanted a little girl, I think after imagining a little boy, two brothers and buying everything for a boy, it would have been almost like a loss for the child we thought we were having.

I think this rarely happens in this day and age. A lot of those people saying it happened to them were much older with adult children.

PrimalMamma
March 21st, 2015, 06:52 PM
Absolutely pink_bean - although I have a "failed" sway baby I would now fall to pieces if this baby turned out to be a girl. I'm so attached to my little guy, & the thought of being an all-boy mum. I would be devastated. Of course I would get past it but I would certainly grieve for our little boy.

atomic sagebrush
March 23rd, 2015, 03:02 PM
:agree: and that's what I meant to have said but did not say as eloquently as you. :)