PDA

View Full Version : education!

XXdreaming
August 5th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Just curious about the highest level of education you completed, now no rubbing it in ;) everybody seems so smart and intelligent and then there's me lol so I was more hoping there are more like me, so for fun are you HS drop out? You graduated HS? Had some college? Etc,

For me? I graduated high school, then got a job worked for 2yrs then got pregnant then married and been a sahm for 10yrs never really had a chance to go college, and probably when my boys are old enough not to rely upon me to much I will feel I am to old lol since I am already 31 and ttcing #5 so I will probably be 40 before I could go to college and by then what's the point lol

DoulaMama
August 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I completed HS and did one year of Uni(psychology) before deciding it was not for me. I then took 2 years off and worked/competed with my horse in the Hunter/Jumper circuit before deciding to go back to school. I went to a Trade/Technology school and did a 2yr program in Camera/News. I then worked at our big local station for 3 months before accidently getting knocked up with our first....LOL! In hindsight, it was not for me at all. I loved the school portion but hated working in such a negative environment. I have been a SAHM for 5yrs now while also doing doula work on the side. I hope to go back to school in about 5yrs(I'll be around 35) to complete my Bachelor of Midwifery which is a 4yr course of studies. It's taken the past 10yrs to even have a clue what it is I want to do! :)

Princess of Pink
August 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I completed HS then started uni doing a Bachelor of Nursing. I dropped out after a year, got married at 19 and had my first baby at 20....over then next 8yrs I went back in bits and pieces and completed my degree. Never got around to actually working as a nurse as I was planning on going back and doing a masters in midwifery. But I was offered a great job that suited my family and had lots of benefits....then more recently when I was planning in going back in feb....I got a job working at the University with fantastic benefits and I couldn't say no...including 6 months paid maternity leave at full pay!! Maybe one day I will finally go back???

rainbowflower
August 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I have a bachelors honours degree in computing science. I quite like the thought of doing midwifery too but there are 200 applicants for every place here, and still hesitant.

mis2ninos
August 5th, 2011, 05:36 PM
It took me 6 years to finally get my bachelors in accounting, took the cpa exam and passed.....would love to be a sahm but its just not for me, I just cant be in the house like that :(( PS just because you didnt go to college doesn't mean you aren't smart & intelligent, I know plenty that DID go that are FAR from intelligent LOL

DoulaMama
August 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM
It took me 6 years to finally get my bachelors in accounting, took the cpa exam and passed.....would love to be a sahm but its just not for me, I just cant be in the house like that :(( PS just because you didnt go to college doesn't mean you aren't smart & intelligent, I know plenty that DID go that are FAR from intelligent LOL

Absolutely!!! I whole heartedly agree:)

XXdreaming
August 6th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Lol thanks! Very interesting though so far I am the only one with no college lol

atomic sagebrush
August 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I went to college for 2 years mostly because my parents expected it of me, but the entire time all I could think about was BABIES!!! I did terribly and skipped class most of the time and was majoring in education and actually completed two minors (early childhood and also English as a second language) but had ZERO interest in it. Plus it was very political and all about who knew/liked who. The only classes I went to regularly were the ones I enjoyed.

Now I would actually enjoy going back and would major in biology, it's a pity that it takes you until you're too old before you realize where your interests actually lie!!

zanacal
August 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM
The system is different over here so I don't know what you mean when you say college - perhaps university? If that's the case, then I didn't go either! After my GCSE's (the exams everybody does when they're 16) I did A-levels (at 18 - you don't have to do these) then went out to work - didn't go to university because by then I'd met, and was engaged to, DH. I've had several jobs and at some point decided to take my accountancy exams, so I studied alongside my full-time job and am now a qualified Management Accountant. To be honest, I'm not exactly passionate about it, but I'm fairly good at my job and I enjoy my time with grown ups and using my brain (the other side to what I use at home with the children!). After I had DS1 I started working part-time (3 full days) but since he started school I changed my hours to working only during school hours 4 days a week. I'm very lucky to have a well paid job which I can do during school hours - but if I had the chance (and money!) to retrain as something, I'd probably be a primary school teacher.

rainbowflower
August 7th, 2011, 04:10 PM
zana - yep, they go to college to get their degrees over there

also agree with the education not meaning intelligence, though! some people get poor degrees, others are intelligent but never go down that route. My DH is an example of that - he also didn't do college (UK-type of college, which is what we do before we study for degrees) but he's an intelligent man.

zanacal
August 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I agree and if I'd gone to uni I probably would have spent 3 years having fun but I'm not sure how much help my degree would even have been - and now I'm probably in the same place (or better!) than I would have been anyway! DH also has a very good job as an Engineer but he completely flunked his GCSE's and didn't start training until later in his life (also alongside his job).

mybluepilot
August 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I graduated from my bachelors degree in biology, then got married and now working on my masters degree in health administration and management, I love working but good hours are my number one priority, I like to have the time to spend with my girls. I will take a break before I apply for a Phd. I will wait till I am done having kids and they are all in good schools.

KnockYourBallsOff
August 8th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I have my Bach in PR and Communications, MAster's in Education. Worked in various industries, then taught for 4 years, now a SAHM who is homeschooling :)

mybluepilot
August 8th, 2011, 11:31 PM
KYB good for you all around , the high education and the home schooling I would love to home school my kids but I always think I am not good enough to take such a role :(

Lilian78
August 9th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I have a bachelors in psychology and a J.D. (law degree). I'm glad I did it, but now I spend a lot of time dreaming of becoming a SAHM :)

purplepoet20
August 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I graduated high school at 14... I was delivering a note to the teacher who was giving practice testing to the SAT kids and he thought I was there for the test so he told me to sit down. My brother was testing so he told me to just sit and take the test, we were always trying to see who was smarter. Later we learned I did really good. My brother and I took the real test together and I scored higher then him. The school did IQ and other testing and I did so well they gave me a diploma... my mother guilted me into staying home with my younger brother because she doesn't like it when her kids are smarter then her. She thinks she was a child genius but no way, we got our smarts from our dad who is a math and science genius.

I did attend college but I started out with Phlebotomy and then I was going to move on to Microbiology... I really wanted to be a medical researcher and find a cure for rare diseases like Progeria. I wanted kids but I never thought it would happen. I think my dream will have to change because I want a job that allows me to be home when my kids get home from school. I am thinking computer progamming so many I would be able to do some work from home in the evenings.

I am currently writing several books... I can never focus on one at a time. I have a few kids books and another one that I don't really want to talk about. I don't use my real name when I write because I want my family and friends to buy-read-like the book on their own free-will and not lie to me.

purplepoet20
August 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM
KYB good for you all around , the high education and the home schooling I would love to home school my kids but I always think I am not good enough to take such a role :(

All you have to do to be a great homeschooling mom is know what would work best for your family. There are so many great homeschooling moms who have no formal education.

begonia
August 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Now I would actually enjoy going back and would major in biology, it's a pity that it takes you until you're too old before you realize where your interests actually lie!!

This is scientifically true in some ways, you know ... the part of your brain that allows you to fully comprehend the long-term impacts of the decisions you make isn't fully developed until your mid-20's. I certainly didn't pick my college major with my "interests" in mind. I picked it because I was making the best grades in what was considered a difficult class, and I'm competitive like that :bigsmile:

Anyhow I have a BS in Accounting and MS in Information Systems, but have been a SAHM since DD1 arrived.

LolaInLove
August 12th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I have a bachelor's degree in arts administration from an expensive private ivy league school in the US that the loans are kicking my butt for!!!! But my DH never went to college. Like most professional dancers, he went straight from HS to dance in a company, and is now almost 39. He is now about to do his last year as a dancers and is starting college to get a degree in physical therapy, which will take him probably 5-6 years. He will be working during that time, choreographing and teaching, but the dancing part is over, he's getting too broken down. So, it's never too late to go back to school! I am even thinking about going to med school to become an ob/gyn in a couple of years, and I'm 35 now. NEVER TO LATE!!! And I also TOTALLY agree with whoever posted that you don't need an education to be intelligent. Nor does a fancy education make you intelligent! There is nothing you can't learn from books from the library...heck, you could teach yourself anything these days.

XXdreaming
August 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I would love to be an ob/gyn or a midwife, I thought about being an u/s tech and just specialize in pregnancy, then I love music and thought about being a choir director lol or major in music in somthing but I cant even sing or play anything so that would be starting from scratch lol

anxiousandready
August 16th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I have a BA in Corp. Communications (PR) and a minor in International Business and Spanish, a M. Ed in Languages and some certificates in Spanish from Spain. I also taught for 8 years....

KnockYourBallsOff, sounds like we have a thing or two in common!

squamgirl
September 19th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I have a BA in Communication with a minor is Spanish.
I worked as a welfare caseworker until DS1 was born.
I've been a SAHM since.
I would like to get an Master's Degree at some point, but I don't know if it will happen or not.

swish
September 20th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Firstly, I agree that no matter how much education you have it doesn'tmake you smart and vice versa. I know plenty of very smart people who do not have alot of qualifications.
I have a degree in psychology and pgce in teaching, I worked as a pirmary school teacher until DS1 was born, it was always my aim to do a masters in pyschotherapy but I loved teaching, I might do it one day though. I definmately think you can train at any age, as long as you have the money!!!

zanacal
September 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
swish, I'd love to retrain as a primary school teacher! Did you do it straight from uni?

swish
September 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Yes straight after my degree, I loved it and still do it part time, it's much less stressful part time!

Glittergirl
September 20th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I got my BS in speech and hearing science then went on to get my Masters in speech pathology. I'm a speech language pathologist but take time off after each baby (about a year) and stay home, then I get my foot back into practicing. I love it cause it's flexible and perfect for moms who want to stay home with their babies! I wanna say....it's never too late to go back to school! My mom took classes here and there when we were growing up, then graduated from college with me! then went on to get her Masters and finished when she was like 50!!!!

awi3rd
October 4th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I have an AA and a Certificate in Office Systems Management, but I've always wanted to be a SAHM so when DH and I got married I quit going to school. I may go back and get a Bachelor's when my kids are all in school. It's probably a good thing I waited because the older I get the more aware I am of my strengths/weaknesses/interests. :)

lov2make
October 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I am working on my masters but I have no plan to work for awhile. I love being a sahm and want to continue while I can.

TTC5
October 15th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I went to high school which is year 7-10 approx age 13 - 16 then did college years 11-12 approx ages 17 & 18 and then I did my cert III in special needs education support(took me a few years I started at age 20 and finished at 24). I am 28 and this is the first year working in SNES so it has taken me a long time inbetween having babies lol