PDA

View Full Version : Short cycle and early ovulation...is this a problem with egg quality?

azebraitis
April 3rd, 2015, 05:02 PM
So, my cycles used to be a solid 28 days and I would O on CD14-the typical , classic menstrual cycle. But since I had my DD, our third baby, at 36, I noticed that my cycles have been getting shorter. They now average 24 days, and I tend to ovulate pretty much right after my period stops. Last time I ovulated on CD9! Now, after I first noticed this, my midwife reassured me that shorter cycles are normal as you start to get a bit older. But should I be concerned about this impacting egg quality? Does it mean my eggs are not as good/more birth defect prone, or is it just my body producing eggs more rapidly as fertility starts to decline? I'm hoping it's the latter, and that the eggs are still good. Of course I know that birth defect rates rise with age (we will do all prenatal testing for sure), but is there a link between short cycles/early ovulation and egg quality? My LP could be longer, but still seems to be at least 10-12 days. I am 38, turning 39 in May, hopefully going to start TTC in June.

ETA: Still nursing our 26 month old DD, recently night weaned in hopes of boosting fertility, nursing 2-4x/day.

XXforhubby
April 3rd, 2015, 08:42 PM
I doubt it. I have always had short cycles- 21-26 days and ovulate between CD8-13. I have two, healthy boys that I conceived at 30 and 33 years of age. I am now pregnant with #3 at 35 and I either ovulated CD9 or CD12 this cycle.

FX and GL to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
April 4th, 2015, 04:26 PM
21 days and up is thought to be long enough for proper egg development.

Like I mentioned in your other thread while getting older can make for short cycles (the machine gun approach where your body starts shooting eggs out as fast as it can LOL) I also wonder if nursing may be having an effect as well. I don't want you to nurse (I am fine with anyone nursing as long as the spirit moves them) but just so you understand it may not be age, at least not solely that.

LP of 10-12 days is thought to be enough for healthy pregnancy to occur. :agree: I think you are ok to proceed!