PDA

View Full Version : Is thawed semen as good as fresh?

Dreamsister
April 14th, 2015, 03:19 AM
Dear Carole Wegner. My DH and I are going for our first IVF-PDG-treatment in May, but because of logistic reasons my DH has to go ahead of me and leave his semen sample which will be used later that week for when I have my ER. But I am afraid that I might reduce my chances of success if I use thawed semen. Is the thawed as good as fresh when it comes to the ability to fertilize? Thank you in advance for taking time to answer my question.

Carole
April 14th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Dear Carole Wegner. My DH and I are going for our first IVF-PDG-treatment in May, but because of logistic reasons my DH has to go ahead of me and leave his semen sample which will be used later that week for when I have my ER. But I am afraid that I might reduce my chances of success if I use thawed semen. Is the thawed as good as fresh when it comes to the ability to fertilize? Thank you in advance for taking time to answer my question.

Dear Dreamsister,
It can be as good as fresh, especially if you are doing ICSI- which you likely are because of the PGD- so you only need one good sperm per egg and even a less than ideal freeze/thaw should provide that. I would not be too concerned about having to use previously frozen sperm. Good Luck!! Carole