PDA

View Full Version : Were you sicker with a boy or girl?

Mars
April 22nd, 2015, 05:09 AM
I know I know, everyone is different but I am starting to think there maybe something in this.

My first two pregnancies I had nausea throughout the 1st trimester but never vomited. Most symptoms went away by 13 weeks.
This pregnancy I didn't get any symptoms until 8 weeks then I got nausea and vomited twice. Symptoms seemed to have disappeared until this week at 13.5weeks were I have vomited twice in two days, both times straight after tea. It is so different to my first two pregnancies which makes me wonder if some girl hormones are floating around in there.

So were you sicker with boys or girls?

XXforhubby
April 22nd, 2015, 08:58 AM
I don't know what I'm having yet, but I am definitely sicker this time around! It set in at 4 weeks and is all day sickness where eating actually makes it worse! I joke that this baby doesn't like anything I choose to eat! I dry heave every time I brush my teeth and have vomited due to smells either good or bad. I had to get medication to be able to eat and feel human again!

With DS1 it set in at 8 weeks. I threw up a lot until I realized eating smaller meals can help. It went away by 13 weeks. DS2 I had the dizzy type of nausea and needed medication to be able to function. It lasted from 6weeks until 20weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XXforhubby
April 22nd, 2015, 09:01 AM
I would guess that with the more pregnancies you have it could either keep getting worse or get better. I know some people where it got better with more pregnancies and some like us where it progressively gets worse.

WantALittleBlue
April 22nd, 2015, 09:10 AM
I have 2 girls and i am currently 29 weeks pregnant with boy#2, i had g,b,g,b and for me my girl pregnancies were much worse than the boy ones especially my first. I only threw up with my girls not the boys. For me there was a difference between the boys and girls in terms of nausea and morning sickness but i know quite a few people with same gender babies and completely opposite symptoms, so you never know.

Ugee
April 22nd, 2015, 10:45 AM
I felt generally more ill in this pregnancy at the start with constant nausea and flu like symptoms. With DS2 I was sick every day for 17 weeks tho and with DS1 I felt rough in the morning and then evening. So no pattern with any of mine.

tweedledeedum
April 22nd, 2015, 10:49 AM
Super sick with my girl and felt great with my boys.

bunnywabbit
April 22nd, 2015, 10:56 AM
My sister was very nauseous and sick with DD1 but had no issue with DD2 whatsoever.

The Anchor
April 22nd, 2015, 01:21 PM
I think there is actually some science behind it:

Women who are pregnant with girls may indeed experience more nausea. … Several large investigations have found that women afflicted with severe morning sickness, called hyperemesis gravidarum, in the first trimester are more likely to be carrying a female fetus. Doctors, concluded one study, “can say with confidence to a woman who has hyperemesis gravidarum that she has a 55.7 percent chance of delivering a girl.” The sicker she is, the more likely this is to be true: a 2004 study by epidemiologists at the University of Washington found that women who were extremely ill (hospitalized for three days or more) had odds of having a girl that were 80 percent higher than those of women who did not experience severe nausea. A hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin may be to blame: female fetuses produce more of it than males.

sisterplease
April 22nd, 2015, 01:49 PM
I've had 5 boys and 1 girl. My daughter is number 5. With first 4 boys I got progressively more ill. I suffered with more symptoms each pregnancy and the sickness lasted longer than the previous. With my daughter, I waited anxiously for the symptoms to start...and they never did. Flew through that pregnancy blissfully. Then number 6 came along and I knew within the first couple of weeks that he was a boy! That pregnancy was the worst of all!! I'm currently pregnant with number 7 and this baby has been just as kind as my daughter was. 15 weeks now and it's hard to believe how well I've been again. Don't know gender yet but I'm very interested!! :-)

Mars
April 22nd, 2015, 05:47 PM
How interesting! It seems to be split. I thought that as I'm not working this time and can relax and eat when I want etc I would feel great as the last two pregnancies I felt crap as soon as I woke up. Nausea until around 10am. This pregnancy mornings have been fine but nights around dinner time is when j nausea and now vomitting!

True Blue
April 22nd, 2015, 06:01 PM
I suffered with terrible nausea during my pregnancy with my girls. Actually I'm really not looking forward to that part again !!

I'm holding onto the hope that every pregnancy is different and I may not suffer again or as bad :fx:

atomic sagebrush
April 22nd, 2015, 06:06 PM
THey have done studies and found NO differnce in morning sickness rates in most pregnancies. With a very rare form of extremely severe morning sickness called hyperemesis gravidarium there was a 3% greater chance it was a girl. That's ALL. Measly 3% and ONLY in the most severe type of morning sickness.

DO NOT read anything into this whatsoever, I have seen so many people have their hearts broken believing this one.

I had the worst morning sickness with 3 of my boys, and then barely any with one boy and my girl.

atomic sagebrush
April 22nd, 2015, 06:10 PM
I would guess that with the more pregnancies you have it could either keep getting worse or get better. I know some people where it got better with more pregnancies and some like us where it progressively gets worse.

For me there seemed to be no rhyme or reason:

DS 1 - very bad, threw up every day
DS 2- barely any
DS 3 - terrible but never threw up
DS 4 terrible and also had diarrhea 6-8 times a day for most of first tri
DD barely any

atomic sagebrush
April 22nd, 2015, 06:14 PM
I think there is actually some science behind it:

Women who are pregnant with girls may indeed experience more nausea. … Several large investigations have found that women afflicted with severe morning sickness, called hyperemesis gravidarum, in the first trimester are more likely to be carrying a female fetus. Doctors, concluded one study, “can say with confidence to a woman who has hyperemesis gravidarum that she has a 55.7 percent chance of delivering a girl.” The sicker she is, the more likely this is to be true: a 2004 study by epidemiologists at the University of Washington found that women who were extremely ill (hospitalized for three days or more) had odds of having a girl that were 80 percent higher than those of women who did not experience severe nausea. A hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin may be to blame: female fetuses produce more of it than males.

But that is ONLY in the very most severe type of morning sickness. Studies have shown no difference in rates of sickness for people who do not have HG. :)

atomic sagebrush
April 22nd, 2015, 06:15 PM
I know of at least 3 other gals on the site who had worse sickness with their boys than their girls!

True Blue
April 22nd, 2015, 07:00 PM
I shouldn't read this thread :D the memories are awful :worry:

:D

Georgia_Peach
April 22nd, 2015, 07:28 PM
I have had 2 boys and just had my baby girl. I was mildly nauseous with the boys but SICK as a dog with her. I couldn't even keep water down first the first trimester. I had to get a prescription. So I'm a believer in this old wives tale.. might not be true for all but me it was.

atomic sagebrush
April 23rd, 2015, 09:01 AM
I shouldn't read this thread :D the memories are awful :worry:

:D

I was thinking that exact same thing as I was writing about this. Wondering how I ever managed to do it 3 times being so sick like that. :/

PrimalMamma
April 23rd, 2015, 04:07 PM
Pregnancies can differ vastly regardless of what gender you're carrying. I place NO baring on symptoms & I'm
quite vocal about this as you might have seen in other threads!! I am 3 weeks off having Boy#3 & all of my pregnancies have been vastly different. I had about a week of feeling "off" in the mornings with DS1, 9 days of miserable sickness morning to afternoon with DS2 & a whole 12 weeks of pretty much 24 hour sickness including some vomiting with DS3. I also had varying amounts of swelling in each pregnancy, I had cystic acne in the first 2 pregnancies & have the clearest, most glowing skin of my entire life in this one. I had greasy hair he the first 2 times & unbelievably dry hair this time... There are lots of other symptoms that have been totally, TOTALLY different including very hormonally related things like the amount of vaginal discharge. The per cent of women getting girls when they suffer with Hyperemesis is only a tiny, tiny majority. In fact a friend of mine had Hyperemesis with her first 2 pregnancies all the way through - she was still vomiting in labour. Those 2 were boy then girl. Her 3rd pregnancy she didn't have it at all, & had another girl. Sorry not trying to rain on anyone's parade but I see & hear women getting their hopes up ALL the time about symptoms & they have no baring on gender. That's not to say you won't get your desired gender, but if you do whatever symptoms you have has nothing to do with predicting it.

atomic sagebrush
April 28th, 2015, 12:27 PM
:bowdown: ^^^ this times a million!

Exactly the point - it's not that anyone wants to spoil anyone's fun or anything like that, it's that people are devastated by these guessing games either false hopes that are later dashed, or false despair where they spend months obsessing over whether they like mustard or not, only to get their DG anyway.

Even if it works 15% of the time for someone, THAT MEANS IT DOESN'T WORK. Because for our purposes, if it isn't 100% accurate, all it does is tie people up in knots for something that is not a guarantee anyway.

keepthefaith
April 29th, 2015, 08:35 AM
I have two boys and a girl on the way and felt like going to die with nauseous feeling all three times! Symptoms don't predict gender!! I am proof lol

Princess Mom
September 26th, 2015, 01:46 PM
My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage and I felt sick here and there miscarriaged at 8 weeks

DS my first sick and couldn't eat bad indigestion not heartburn indigestion that went away and just suffered with bad morning sickness sometimes more at night then lasted all day even my boobs were sore

I had another mc after my son and was sick in that pregnancy also but no indigestion

DD my second child
Didn't know I was pregnant till 11 weeks well I didn't test till then, because I wasn't sure
But did have morning sickness around 6-7 weeks pregnant and was always very tired, dizzy but not as bad as my other pregnancies and it wasn't consent it was every few days. Had indgestion few times not a lot

DS my third child no symptoms only had indgestion around 5 weeks for few days then it turned into heartburn which I never had in my life.
Never had sore boobs or any Mornint sickness he was a mixture of my son and daughter. And that damn heartburn last until labor lol

I had another miscarriage and also confirmed boy I had just bad heartburn and very dizzy no morning sickness also couldn't drink soda same as my 2nd son my third child.

Pregnant now around 4 weeks all I have is indigestion here and there felt little dizzy once that it I honestly feel great.

Hoping symptoms don't mean gender