PDA

View Full Version : pumping

Babybeaublue
April 30th, 2015, 08:41 AM
I thought I'd try out some of my things before baby arrives, so I started with the manual b/pump. This is probably a stupid question, but it shouldn't hurt should it?
Also, has anyone tried this (for nip stimulation) to induce labour? I will try (almost) anything!

Rosie85
April 30th, 2015, 09:23 AM
It does work for inducing!! It might feel weird for a bit before the milk comes in. It shouldn't be insanely painful though. Good luck...i know today is your due date!!! Hopefully bub comes soon. If you pump for a good while i would be surprised if you didnt go into labor. Nipple stimulation is the only proven natural method of induction.

essnce629
April 30th, 2015, 11:16 AM
How many weeks are you? I was a birth and postpartum doula up until I had DS2 and I have a castor oil regimen that I came up with that has a 100% success rate so far (14 out of 14). It includes breast stimulation and doesn't cause any crazy side effects if you follow the directions exactly. Let me know if you want it. I first used it when I had DS1 because I had to go back to nursing school immediately after his birth! :D

kitkat18
April 30th, 2015, 12:44 PM
A friend of mine went into l labour from nipple stimulation, good luck baby beau X

Babybeaublue
April 30th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Thank you both. I'm 40 weeks exactly

atomic sagebrush
May 1st, 2015, 11:43 AM
My concern is that you will be hurting your nippies a bit and that this will make it harder for you to establish BF (correct me if I"m wrong but you had some trouble establishing BF before, or is that someone else??)

I feel like, it's best to hold off with the nip stimulation pre-birth because you may end up super sore right when you want to be able to nurse your little bug so they can get some colostrum.

Rosie85
May 1st, 2015, 02:57 PM
That is true atomic. Good point

essnce629
May 1st, 2015, 06:17 PM
You don't even need to touch your nipples for it to work. A simple breast massage works just as well and is what is included in my castor oil regimen.

atomic sagebrush
May 4th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I'm hoping since she hasn't written anything that baby is here!!!

Babybeaublue
May 7th, 2015, 08:17 AM
baby girl born same day as Princess Charlotte :)
No help in hospital with breastfeeding so now painful not getting much of a break between feeds so no time to heal :(

Dana-Alicia
May 7th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Congrats on your little girl! Is she latched on properly? As in mouth wide open, lips curled out and nipple in the back of her mouth? if she doesn't have your nipple in her mouth properly, take her off (pinky in the corner of her mouth) and try again. In between the feedings you could use mother mates at night and lanoline during the day. Anyone in your area that is a nursing consultant?

Babybeaublue
May 7th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Thank you. The midwives doing home visits seem to think she is latched on great. The pain is the initial few sucks on the already sore parts. The thing that troubles me is the shape of the nipple when she comes off :/

Mrs_Incredible
May 7th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Huge congratulations!! Have you got nipple cream (lansinoh -sp!?) That along with avent breast shells saved my poor nipples. Cream was a barrier and the shells instead of breastbpads meant i wasn't ripping the breastpad off the healing nipple and injuring it each time. I can post you breast shells as i wont use them again (washed and sterilised lol!!) Baby left my nipple a bit flat but I figured she had tiny teeny mouth. As long as she's not sooking on your nipple as that is unbearable. I've heard loads of instances of tongue tie in the past year, might be worth getting checked if the pain persists and 2nd opinions on latch/tongue tie in case someone else picks up something that's missed x

Dana-Alicia
May 7th, 2015, 11:42 AM
What shape are your nipples when she comes off? Do you have little cuts in your nipples? Not sure how you call them in English, but a lot of women have them because baby has been latched on wrong and it will be sore for awhile once that's happened :( Tong ties is also a good point, you'll be able to see for yourself if she can stick out her tongue far enough. If not it will need to be cut.

atomic sagebrush
May 8th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Huge congrats although I'm sorry it didn't go your way.

What I have found with the breast pain is that it gets worst right before it's about to get better. It will heal even if you're nursing, it's really strange because it hurts like the blazes and then the next day it's gone.

atomic sagebrush
May 8th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Thank you. The midwives doing home visits seem to think she is latched on great. The pain is the initial few sucks on the already sore parts. The thing that troubles me is the shape of the nipple when she comes off :/

Don't worry about the shape when she comes off, that doesn't mean anything. They bounce back LOL

IT is very normal to have a bit of pain at first but then it gets better. If the midwives are saying the latch is good, it can be just a matter of the nipples having to get used to the idea. :)

Babybeaublue
May 9th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Well my nipples are raw, I mean I am near to the point of bleeding. Pumping isn't as sore so I've had to resort to doing that. I am just in tears if I feed baby myself but I still want to give her the b/milk so this is a compromise. She lost more weight than she should and wasn't gaining a single gram but is more content now bless her

Babybeaublue
May 9th, 2015, 10:26 AM
I've heard loads of instances of tongue tie in the past year, might be worth getting checked if the pain persists and 2nd opinions on latch/tongue tie in case someone else picks up something that's missed x[/QUOTE]

Mrs I
Different midwife today. Possible tongue tie. Waiting for Drs appointment, excuse me while I go cry. Again.

atomic sagebrush
May 9th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Just when you think it can't possibly get worse, it suddenly gets better.

IF pumping is helping, then of course you have to do what you have to do! It can be rough getting going at first even for those of us who have done it before. (raw nips and so on)

I hope you get good news at the doc's office and this works itself out soon.

Dana-Alicia
May 9th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately a lot of midwives don't know that much about breastfeeding. My midwife was also very content, but I was in pain and when I had a specialized lactation nurse come over (what do you call them in the US lol? Ah lactation consultant?) she gave me loads of tips on how to prevent and defeat problems. It sounds so so sore, I hope you feel better soon once her tongue tie is clipped and she can latch on properly.

Babybeaublue
May 10th, 2015, 06:46 AM
I am now down to hand expressing as the pump is making me bleed. I have chunks missing from the nipples that the skin keeps coming off.. have to wait til Monday for possible loan of different pump.

Dana-Alicia
May 10th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Oh my goodness that sounds horrible!! I'm so sorry it's so difficult for you, hope it gets better soon xx

Mrs_Incredible
May 10th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Have you got breast shells? It helps air your nipples and they get a chance to heal while being able to wear bra and clothes. Really are worth it. Sorry to hear you are in so much pain :'( xx

Mrs_Incredible
May 10th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Philips AVENT SCF157/02 ISIS Comfort Breast Shell Set:Amazon.co.uk:Baby (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000MMQO60/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1431256065&sr=8-1&pi=SL75&keywords=avent+breast+shells)
I've got a load here if you want them? Hugs xx

atomic sagebrush
May 10th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that!! I am hoping that it's about to get better.