PDA

View Full Version : boy diet question...having trouble...

Hobbermittens
August 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I am having trouble pairing the carbs and proteins. It seems like it should be easy, but for me, not so much. I have been avoiding dairy, so cheese is out. I tend to eat beef jerky and potato chips (not so healthy, I know) for a snack. I need other ideas, though!

What are y'all eating?

DoulaMama
August 13th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I'm not on the diet but I do have 3 boys so I can tell you what I ate at meals....

I would have oatmeal with brown sugar/blueberries
whole wheat toast with poached eggs
crackers with cream cheese and pepper jelly(yum!)
Salsa and chips with sour cream
Nachos with all the fixins
pancakes with sausage and eggs
PB and jam sandwich
Mashed potatoes with chicken and broccoli
chicken enchiladas with salsa
homemade burgers with potato salad

Hmmmm I wonder why I have lbs to lose.....

LolaInLove
August 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
That's pretty much the same stuff I've been eating for a while....I also eat nuts and dried fruits (apricots, raisins, plums, etc) a good bit. A good quick snack a lot of us have on the blue crew is those Larabars. They are natural and have nuts and "whole" stuff in them and no sugar, they are good too. I've also been eating a bunch of hummus lately, which has protein, with whole wheat pita chips.

Hobbermittens
August 13th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions~ Lola, what flavor Larabars? And where do you get them?

I love all the foods mentioned on your list, Doula! MMM.... salsa and chips are my FAVORITE snack in the world!

atomic sagebrush
August 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I'm not on the diet but I do have 3 boys so I can tell you what I ate at meals....

I would have oatmeal with brown sugar/blueberries
whole wheat toast with poached eggs
crackers with cream cheese and pepper jelly(yum!)
Salsa and chips with sour cream
Nachos with all the fixins
pancakes with sausage and eggs
PB and jam sandwich
Mashed potatoes with chicken and broccoli
chicken enchiladas with salsa
homemade burgers with potato salad

Hmmmm I wonder why I have lbs to lose.....

THIS.

Plus, toss in oatmeal and peanut butter
oatmeal with apples and cinnamon
mashed avocado with salsa and chips
fried egg sandwich with mustard
tuna salad sandwich
chicken or turkey salad (carbs in celery, onions, and dressing)
baked/refried beans
deviled eggs (carbs in dressing plus you can eat a cookie along with)
Wheaties with blueberries and almond milk
chef salad
omelet with a lot of sauteed veggies in it (I often ate this w/out cheese when dieting.)

Hobbermittens
August 14th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I will start eating more oatmeal, because I love it! And I will work on getting more high proteins other than meat, because I am getting sick of meat!

Hobbermittens
August 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Oh, and Wheaties! I have those around always because my DS thinks they will make him a good snowboarder (one box had Shawn White on the front. I guess their advertising works!)

But for snacks...like say I am having my juice, what should I have with it, a boiled egg? A slice of ham? Nuts?

skrimpy
August 14th, 2011, 09:40 PM
mmm steak and baked potatoes! And I second the tuna salad sandwiches, I ate tons of them to get my boys :) Spaghetti with meat sauce is another good one.

Hobbermittens
August 14th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Spaghetti with meat sauce is another good one.
Yes, I have decided this must be perfect boy food, and I have been eating it a LOT! Just had it tonight. :)

Flava
August 15th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I have the same problem ! The other thing is I started in April and Im so tired of it by now:sigh: I need some new ideas!
Also I did not do so good this last 2 weeks we where so busy ...anyway hope I still ok for next month because I just don't want to do this much longer.

How do we make tuna salad sandwich? I never eat one before.

atomic sagebrush
August 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have the same problem ! The other thing is I started in April and Im so tired of it by now:sigh: I need some new ideas!
Also I did not do so good this last 2 weeks we where so busy ...anyway hope I still ok for next month because I just don't want to do this much longer.

How do we make tuna salad sandwich? I never eat one before.

Hey, it happens! I had off days too when I didn't eat that much, it's just the overall pattern of your diet you're looking at. You are still good to go for next month!!

Tuna salad sandwich is just a can of drained tuna (I think the kind in water tastes better, not the oil kind, but whatever you prefer), mixed with either mayo, Miracle Whip, or 1000 Island dressing, depending on which you prefer, until it's a spreadable consistency. You can toss in a little chopped onion, celery, and pickle (both sweet and dill are good, whichever you like). Then just put however much you like on whole wheat bread or toast (I usu. use half on one sandwich, but my oldest son will eat TWO cans on one sandwich haha) add some lettuce, sprouts, and/or tomato if you want and that's that! But it's still good with just the tuna and dressing if that's all you have.

We also make "tuna melts" which is the exact same thing only with cheese and heated in the microwave until it melts but obviously anyone avoiding dairy will want to skip that one.

atomic sagebrush
August 15th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Oh, and Wheaties! I have those around always because my DS thinks they will make him a good snowboarder (one box had Shawn White on the front. I guess their advertising works!)

But for snacks...like say I am having my juice, what should I have with it, a boiled egg? A slice of ham? Nuts?

Any or all of the above!!! I am of the mind that the egg and nuts are prob. better than the ham because of the nitrates but I don't think ham will kill ya now and then - even several days a week (it's only the "eat copious amounts of bacon/ham/hotdogs at every meal for months on end because they're high in salt thing" that I think people need to avoid.)

Flava
August 15th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Kristin thanks for that! Sound so easy for sure I will make it from now on. But why the tuna in water? ehhhh I love the tuna fillet in olive oil I always buy that one and have 3 cans at home now! So this is not good? I thought olive oil is ok.:worry:

Hobbermittens
August 15th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Any or all of the above!!! I am of the mind that the egg and nuts are prob. better than the ham because of the nitrates but I don't think ham will kill ya now and then - even several days a week (it's only the "eat copious amounts of bacon/ham/hotdogs at every meal for months on end because they're high in salt thing" that I think people need to avoid.)

I will more likely go for the ham. I have been eating probably too much ham, but I LOVE it! And i have been eating my fair share of hot dogs, but I have been buying the nitrate free kind! :wink:

begonia
August 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Mmm Flava I love tuna sandwiches! I make mine with dijon mustard b/c I can't stand mayo, and my grandmother always put in chopped dill relish and chopped red apples so it had a sweet/salty crunch to it ... so that's how I do it :bigsmile: The great thing about it is you can make a batch and keep it in the fridge and just grab some for snacks with crackers! And, like Atomic said, it's super easy to customize however you like it.

Don't know about the oil v. water thing though ... I'm sure Atomic will chime in on that.

Hobber I also bought lunchmeat/hot dogs free of nitrates... Applegate Farms makes a ton of stuff.

At Costco today they had boiled, shelled eggs, 2 dozen of them packed in packs of 2. I thought those would be great for our moms who are in a time crunch but needed some protein in the am or with snacks.

Hobbermittens
August 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM
At Costco today they had boiled, shelled eggs, 2 dozen of them packed in packs of 2. I thought those would be great for our moms who are in a time crunch but needed some protein in the am or with snacks.

Wish I could choke down more eggs... that sounds incredibly convenient!

Flava
August 16th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Looks like atomic had no time to come back , but that's ok! I made some tuna with mayo and put pickles and onion on it . wow it was so good! For sure I make this every week now.

Flava
August 16th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Wish I could choke down more eggs... that sounds incredibly convenient!

The thing is I just don't like to buy it like that from the store...but Im very picky about my food:oops: I know I would think who know when did the cooked it , or touched it with dirty hands ect ect and would end up not eating it lol.
So I have to cook it at home .:sigh:

gizmo77
August 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
larabars youc an go on their website and find their nutritional info. i like the PB choc chip one the best. you can find them at any health food store or health food section in grocery stores. they are pricey at around $1.19 per barbut mine are usually on sale for $.99 and also ever rarely theyll sell by the box 5 bars for $4.89

LolaInLove
August 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
THIS.

Plus, toss in oatmeal and peanut butter
oatmeal with apples and cinnamon
mashed avocado with salsa and chips
fried egg sandwich with mustard
tuna salad sandwich
chicken or turkey salad (carbs in celery, onions, and dressing)
baked/refried beans
deviled eggs (carbs in dressing plus you can eat a cookie along with)
Wheaties with blueberries and almond milk
chef salad
omelet with a lot of sauteed veggies in it (I often ate this w/out cheese when dieting.)

You know, this and everything we've been talking about are FERTILITY FOODS, really.......I got this awesome cookbook, by the way, called Cooking to Conceive that's got great recipes made from all of these kinds of nutrient-packed foods.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Conceive-Fertility-Boosting-Recipes-Pregnant/dp/0811868540/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313593252&sr=1-1

Hobbermittens
August 17th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Interesting, Lola! Thanks for the link!

atomic sagebrush
August 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Kristin thanks for that! Sound so easy for sure I will make it from now on. But why the tuna in water? ehhhh I love the tuna fillet in olive oil I always buy that one and have 3 cans at home now! So this is not good? I thought olive oil is ok.:worry:

Oh, if you like it, it's great!!! I just don't like the taste as well with the oil tuna.

atomic sagebrush
August 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
You know, this and everything we've been talking about are FERTILITY FOODS, really.......I got this awesome cookbook, by the way, called Cooking to Conceive that's got great recipes made from all of these kinds of nutrient-packed foods.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Conceive-Fertility-Boosting-Recipes-Pregnant/dp/0811868540/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313593252&sr=1-1

I could not agree more! It's ALL about the fertility. Great link!!!

LolaInLove
August 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I really do love this cookbook, we've made a good amount of the recipes in there and they are DELISH and the kids love them, too. It was pretty inexpensive also, it's a softcover.

Hobbermittens
August 21st, 2011, 11:18 PM
Just ordered the book from amazon! :)