PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to supplements?!?

Ashforblue
June 13th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Ok, so since I've started the supps, months ago, I've been getting welts on & off ....has anyone had this happen to them?? I've been ignoring and pushing through.... Hoping that's not a bad idea since my attempt is so close!!

sc1411
June 13th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Ash, I had them during swaying. Overall my skin condition was so poor I don't know how I went to work. I ignored them, i have no idea why this happened or if i was supposed to do anything with that. Hope this helps:) GL!!!

atomic sagebrush
June 13th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Tell me everything you're taking.

It is possible to be allergic to virtually anything, do you have any inkling what it was???

Ashforblue
June 13th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Well I thought it was my protien powder but I took it out for a couple days & still got them.. Then I was thinking maybe the Vit. D or the Dha?
Here's my list of supps.
Nature made prenatals with high folic acid
Vegan D3
Vegutarian dha spectrum brand
Folic acid 800
Probiotics
Also using the RAW meal protien powder and the vega one protien...
I do know that I wasnt breaking out in welts before starting these..... It doesn't hurt or anything at the most can be annoying for a couple hours... I also get them all over... Not just one place... I'm planning on stopping all but prenatals once I get my bfp!!! What do you think?

Thanks SC1411... It does help that I'm not the only one, lol!!

atomic sagebrush
June 13th, 2015, 01:55 PM
HIves once started, can take some time to clear up again, they don't immediately go because you've stopped the offending subject.

Stay off the protein powders, I don't recommend them anyway, and drop probiotics. Take cetirizine for the next three days 1x a day. See if it goes away and stays away even after stopping the cetirizine. I agree they are the most likely culprits. If it doesn't go away, then we need to repeat the process with the other stuff.

You don't need to stop all these things when pregnant, DHA, Vit. D and probiotics are good to take.

maidentomother
June 13th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I suspect the protein powders. I don't think the active ingredients in any of the other supps are allergenic, but they may contain fillers/binders/inactive ingredients to which you're reacting. Have you had a response like this before to any supps? Are you prone to skin reactions?

Regardless, I think it's almost definitely something in the protein powders, since it is proteins which are allergenic. Can you list the full ingredients? If one/both contain hemp protein, I'd suspect that in particular. Rice protein is rarely allergenic, and pea protein is usually okay too.

Ashforblue
June 13th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Man this kinda stinks since this is how I get my high levels of protien, but I suspect you ladies are right...
Here is the ing: it's raw, gf, vegan, organic, soy free, no fillers, no pea protien, no preservatives, no sweeteners...
Sprouted protien blend
Sprouted brown rice, amaranth sprouts, quinoa sprouts,millet, buckwheat, garbonzo bean, lentil, adzuki bean, flax, sunflower, pumpkin seed, chia, sesame, stevia leaf, fiber blend, raw green juice blend,oat grass, alfalfa grass, spirulina, barley grass, cracked wall chlorella, wheat grass juice, raw antioxidant blend, raw probiotic & enzyme blend... What do you think? None of it really sticks out to me...

maidentomother
June 13th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Probably one or more of the grasses. Next most likely one of the seeds. But I really think the grasses. Can you get plain rice & pea protein and just eat those? I THINK together they provide all the necessary amino acids.

Ashforblue
June 13th, 2015, 06:39 PM
It's funny, I was just telling my husband that it was the grass!! So yes, I do know of a site where you can make your own out of pea & rice protien!! Thx Maiden!!

atomic sagebrush
June 14th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Man this kinda stinks since this is how I get my high levels of protien, but I suspect you ladies are right...
Here is the ing: it's raw, gf, vegan, organic, soy free, no fillers, no pea protien, no preservatives, no sweeteners...
Sprouted protien blend
Sprouted brown rice, amaranth sprouts, quinoa sprouts,millet, buckwheat, garbonzo bean, lentil, adzuki bean, flax, sunflower, pumpkin seed, chia, sesame, stevia leaf, fiber blend, raw green juice blend,oat grass, alfalfa grass, spirulina, barley grass, cracked wall chlorella, wheat grass juice, raw antioxidant blend, raw probiotic & enzyme blend... What do you think? None of it really sticks out to me...

There are tons of allergens in this, wouldn't even hazard a guess. Reading the ingredients I am quite sure this is the issue. Have you tried the antihistamines for 3 days to see if it clears up?

If you're getting "high levels of protein" from protein powders, we need to think about this because that may not be the best way for you to be getting your protein. If I rem. right you are either vegan or vegetarian and we need to put our heads together and come up with a way to do this.

Ashforblue
June 15th, 2015, 01:24 AM
Yeppers am vegan... Was going to do some dairy & eggs for my sway but just can't do it... :( I was prob getting around 30 grams a day from the powder then I also am eating tofu about 3-5x's a week and lots of lentils, beans, & Of course a crap ton of nuts & seeds!! My fave being walnuts! So was looking at around 70-80 grams... What do you think?

Ashforblue
June 15th, 2015, 01:29 AM
Still need to get the antihistamines but have had bday stuff for my daughter going on , so been kinda crazy!! The hives don't last long and i don't currently have them... They just show up off & on in a big welt for a few hours... Usually on my legs or stomache or arms ( think God not my face!!) then disappear... Weirdest thing ever! Sometimes they don't even itch that bad!! Will go pick something up tomorrow for it pronto!! Thx atomic!! Hoping that stopping the powder makes it go away for good!!

atomic sagebrush
June 15th, 2015, 02:18 PM
How is it today, Ash??

atomic sagebrush
June 15th, 2015, 02:22 PM
It is TOTALLY possible to get a boy with a vegan sway, many have done it! I think we can keep doing what you're doing and just look for sneaky ways to up protein intake.

Ashforblue
June 15th, 2015, 02:27 PM
None so far, yay!! I hope it didn't hurt my sway!!

atomic sagebrush
June 15th, 2015, 02:42 PM
It won't!

Ashforblue
June 15th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Awesome, thx for all your help!! :bowdown:

maidentomother
June 15th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Personally I think fat martters more than protein anyway.

Ashforblue
June 15th, 2015, 03:43 PM
That's good b/c I've had lots of nuts, coconut oil, olive oil, & avocados!!