PDA

View Full Version : Getting mirena out, any tips?

cjolsnr
July 3rd, 2015, 12:47 AM
I'm going to be getting my mirena out this month & starting TTC baby #2 in September. How long should it take to start ovulating again? Where's the best place to buy ovulation strips? And has anyone had success with preseed?

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 12:59 AM
Don't take my experience to heart because back then my hormones were crazy... seriously out of balance, but for me my first cycle post-mirena was over 100 days long, and I finally had to induce AF with a progesterone script. The next cycle I O'd on CD 35.

As for the rest, I like to get my OPKs online at either saveontests.com or ebay. I used preseed while TTC my 2nd and 3rd and I can't say 100% that it worked but I definitely don't think it hurt. After dealing with secondary inf for 2 years TTC my 2nd I think the 1-2-3 punch of having clomid left in my system from the previous cycle and using preseed and mucinex are what helped me get preg. With my 3rd I also used mucinex and preseed and conceived our 3rd month TTC (5 months after loss).

cjolsnr
July 3rd, 2015, 01:02 AM
Probably should mention I've only had mirena since June 2nd & am having so many complications I want it out & we decided to add to our family anyway :) I'm not sure if the length you've been on mirena effects ttc at all.

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 01:23 AM
I had mine for 6 god-awful months! I called it my intrauterine DEMON, lol. I had issues from the day it was put in until the day it was taken out!! I had a 6 month long migraine that my doc swore couldn't have been caused by the mirena, lo and behold the day it was gone, so were my migraines. It also hurt like heck! They say you aren't supposed to feel it but I sure did! I had it checked time and time again but it was always in the right position, but it always felt like it was scratching my insides and after a few months (and pardon the upcoming TMI) I did NOT look forward to climax as each and every time I would get a spit second of the good feelings followed immediately feeling like I was being ripped apart from the inside. It was nearly a year after getting that thing out before I could finally have a climax without pain. Getting that thing put in was the worst decision I ever made and getting it taken out definitely ranks in the top 10 (below my husband and kids of course ;) )

Given the fact it has only been a month I don't foresee it causing a lot of issues for you but I am no doctor nor am I a fortune teller, lol. Each woman will react differently.

maidentomother
July 3rd, 2015, 05:47 AM
I have always considered the Mirena evil...just from what I know aboit it, stories I've heard, and bc I'm very anti hormonal BC. I also hate how drs push the Mirena over the copper IUDs, which I LOVED.

Are you swaying pink or blue?

If you're in the US, Wondfo OPKs sold on amazon via Formosa Medical are by far the best strips.

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 10:01 AM
I have always considered the Mirena evil...just from what I know aboit it, stories I've heard, and bc I'm very anti hormonal BC. I also hate how drs push the Mirena over the copper IUDs, which I LOVED.

If you're in the US, Wondfo OPKs sold on amazon via Formosa Medical are by far the best strips.

Not to thread jack, just wanted to agree. I have a lot of issues with hormonal BC, I am very sensitive to it. I had requested the copper but I live in the "bible belt" so my doc's office is anti-copper because they said it "doesn't prevent conception, just implantation". Don't know why that makes it bad, women conceive all the time without implantation :shrug:

cjolsnr
July 3rd, 2015, 11:04 AM
I had mine for 6 god-awful months! I called it my intrauterine DEMON, lol. I had issues from the day it was put in until the day it was taken out!! I had a 6 month long migraine that my doc swore couldn't have been caused by the mirena, lo and behold the day it was gone, so were my migraines. It also hurt like heck! They say you aren't supposed to feel it but I sure did! I had it checked time and time again but it was always in the right position, but it always felt like it was scratching my insides and after a few months (and pardon the upcoming TMI) I did NOT look forward to climax as each and every time I would get a spit second of the good feelings followed immediately feeling like I was being ripped apart from the inside. It was nearly a year after getting that thing out before I could finally have a climax without pain. Getting that thing put in was the worst decision I ever made and getting it taken out definitely ranks in the top 10 (below my husband and kids of course ;) )

Given the fact it has only been a month I don't foresee it causing a lot of issues for you but I am no doctor nor am I a fortune teller, lol. Each woman will react differently.
Wow! I'm glad It's not just me who has pain with orgasms with mirena. I thought I was losing it LOL. I can't wait to get the damn thing out. I'm in constant pain & it gave me pelvic inflammatory disease.

cjolsnr
July 3rd, 2015, 11:04 AM

We're swaying pink! Have an almost 2 year old son and want a girl this time :)

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 12:07 PM
Wow! I'm glad It's not just me who has pain with orgasms with mirena. I thought I was losing it LOL. I can't wait to get the damn thing out. I'm in constant pain & it gave me pelvic inflammatory disease.

I thought I was losing it too since I kept being told that it was fine and shouldn't be causing any issues. I only kept it as long as I did because my GYN told me to give it a couple more months when I went to him at the 3 month mark, then hubby switched jobs so we didn't have ins for a month. Luckily I avoided PID but I am so glad I got that thing out of me. The ONLY nice thing about it was the AFs, or lack thereof, everything else about that thing was awful. Sorry you are going through that :( Glad it's going to be taken care of... Oh and btw just a heads up, I had a 10 day AF after it was taken out so don't be surprised if AF lasts a bit longer the first month.

cjolsnr
July 3rd, 2015, 12:15 PM
I thought I was losing it too since I kept being told that it was fine and shouldn't be causing any issues. I only kept it as long as I did because my GYN told me to give it a couple more months when I went to him at the 3 month mark, then hubby switched jobs so we didn't have ins for a month. Luckily I avoided PID but I am so glad I got that thing out of me. The ONLY nice thing about it was the AFs, or lack thereof, everything else about that thing was awful. Sorry you are going through that :( Glad it's going to be taken care of... Oh and btw just a heads up, I had a 10 day AF after it was taken out so don't be surprised if AF lasts a bit longer the first month.
I've not stopped bleeding longer than a day since I got it haha.

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 12:22 PM
:suprise: I spotted on and off the first month or so after I got it but nothing major, then after that every month or so I'd spot for a couple days which I just considered my AF. Are you talking full on AF bleeding or spotting? Either way it sucks but I'd be especially concerned if you are bleeding heavily and for that long. No wonder you are quick to get it out. If it'd been the same for me I don't think I'd of made it very far past month 1 either! Yikes!

cjolsnr
July 3rd, 2015, 12:25 PM
:suprise: I spotted on and off the first month or so after I got it but nothing major, then after that every month or so I'd spot for a couple days which I just considered my AF. Are you talking full on AF bleeding or spotting? Either way it sucks but I'd be especially concerned if you are bleeding heavily and for that long. No wonder you are quick to get it out. If it'd been the same for me I don't think I'd of made it very far past month 1 either! Yikes!
Pretty steadily a flow, some days juat spotting, but usually a flow that requires a pad. I can't wait until it's out lol. I constantly feel like I'm being stabbed in the uterus. If this thing causes me trouble TTC I'm going to cry.

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 04:22 PM
I can't say if it will or it won't.... I got mine taken out when my youngest was 7 months old and he just turned 5 so it has been a long while since I had it in. But I can say that even with all the issues I had and the length of time I had it in that 4+ years later I got preg without even trying. I lost that baby but it had nothing to do with the mirena. Sorry, I can't be more helpful on that topic :/

maidentomother
July 3rd, 2015, 09:19 PM
Not to thread jack, just wanted to agree. I have a lot of issues with hormonal BC, I am very sensitive to it. I had requested the copper but I live in the "bible belt" so my doc's office is anti-copper because they said it "doesn't prevent conception, just implantation". Don't know why that makes it bad, women conceive all the time without implantation :shrug:

That isn't even true, for the vast part. Mostly the copper acts as a spermicide, and it's rare for conception to occur.

Forgot to add...I have taken the same progestin the Mirena excrtes orally and had horrific side effects, completely intolerable. I've tried almost a dozen different BC pills, combined and POP, the NuvaRing, and the OrthoEvra Patch, and all at the very least (the worst being really bad many times over) made me super dry vaginally, which really reduces my pleasure so I don't even want to have sex. I'm soooo happy copper IUDs exist, I LOVED the 2 different models I had over 6 years.

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 09:24 PM
I have tried every form of BC except the arm implant, depo and the patch. I can't use any of them. I am even allergic to spermicide. I wish my docs would have let me try the copper, at least then I wouldn't have had a migraine for 6 months but in the end I think it would have been the same pain-wise.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 09:25 PM
Pretty steadily a flow, some days juat spotting, but usually a flow that requires a pad. I can't wait until it's out lol. I constantly feel like I'm being stabbed in the uterus. If this thing causes me trouble TTC I'm going to cry.
Btw, do you know exactly when you'll be getting it out?

cjolsnr
July 3rd, 2015, 09:37 PM
Btw, do you know exactly when you'll be getting it out?

I don't yet, I haven't scheduled an appointment.

maidentomother
July 3rd, 2015, 09:37 PM
I'm also allergic to spermicide, violently so (my skin everwhere is super sensitive and I can use only a few items from Whole Foods, nothing from conventional drugstores). I'm also allergic to synthetic lubes (I used olive/coconut oil until organic aloe based lubes came out) and very sensitive to latex (not that I think sex with any condom is much worth it).

On the Patch had full blown migraines with aura and crazy visual disturbances, daily, that got increasingly worse until I had a mini stroke after a week. So I get it. Go out of state and get yourself a Paraguard, or try Planned Parenthood. After you have your daughter of course!

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 09:42 PM
I don't yet, I haven't scheduled an appointment.
Keep us posted if you want to. :fingers: for a smooth going removal.

Sorry if we are thread jacking btw...

cjolsnr
July 3rd, 2015, 09:45 PM
Keep us posted if you want to. :fingers: for a smooth going removal.

Sorry if we are thread jacking btw...

I'll definitely keep you all posted :) Not thread jacking at all!

twointow83
July 3rd, 2015, 09:46 PM
I'm also allergic to spermicide, violently so (my skin everwhere is super sensitive and I can use only a few items from Whole Foods, nothing from conventional drugstores). I'm also allergic to synthetic lubes (I used olive/coconut oil until organic aloe based lubes came out) and very sensitive to latex (not that I think sex with any condom is much worth it).

On the Patch had full blown migraines with aura and crazy visual disturbances, daily, that got increasingly worse until I had a mini stroke after a week. So I get it. Go out of state and get yourself a Paraguard, or try Planned Parenthood. After you have your daughter of course!
I am done with BC after this baby. I am getting "fixed". Or maybe hubby in case we decide we want another down the road. I really think we will be done though.

has2gentlemen
July 3rd, 2015, 10:43 PM

I'm in the same boat as you! I got my mirena in last April (2014) after my youngest son was born (I asked to have the copper one as I was ebf my preemie but she swore the mirena was more reliable) and I have bled or spotted every.single.day since. I'll bleed for 7-10 days, spot for 3-4 then back to bleeding. And I actually won't let myself orgasm any more because the pain is so awful, but my gyno claimed it is perfectly normal to have "some pinching and spotting" throughout the term of the iud so he won't remove it. I'm going to a different gyno to have it removed in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maidentomother
July 4th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Copper IUDs are extremely reliable, over 99%! They are the only BC i have not gotten pregnant on. God I HATE how drs push the Mirena. I knkw they're paid to do so but it's still shocking how they push it on even protesting patients who know what they want!

has2gentlemen
July 4th, 2015, 06:14 PM
The most frustrating part was that the hormone levels were enough to kill my breastmilk supply. I had a horrible oversupply with my oldest and when I was pumping for my youngest, and as soon as the mirena was in- within a week I was completely dry despite pumping and nursing round the clock.

atomic sagebrush
July 4th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Copper IUDs are extremely reliable, over 99%! They are the only BC i have not gotten pregnant on. God I HATE how drs push the Mirena. I knkw they're paid to do so but it's still shocking how they push it on even protesting patients who know what they want!

agree totally that even good docs push the Mirena. Ugh so frustrating.

atomic sagebrush
July 4th, 2015, 07:28 PM
I'm going to be getting my mirena out this month & starting TTC baby #2 in September. How long should it take to start ovulating again? Where's the best place to buy ovulation strips? And has anyone had success with preseed?

Some people right away, others take weeks or months.

Preseed works very well for people, it may make you more likely to have a boy if you're wanting one.

atomic sagebrush
July 4th, 2015, 07:33 PM
I'm in the same boat as you! I got my mirena in last April (2014) after my youngest son was born (I asked to have the copper one as I was ebf my preemie but she swore the mirena was more reliable) and I have bled or spotted every.single.day since. I'll bleed for 7-10 days, spot for 3-4 then back to bleeding. And I actually won't let myself orgasm any more because the pain is so awful, but my gyno claimed it is perfectly normal to have "some pinching and spotting" throughout the term of the iud so he won't remove it. I'm going to a different gyno to have it removed in August.

Augh that's unacceptible, I'm so sorry. :(

atomic sagebrush
July 4th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Geesh ladies thanks for telling me this!!! I never had one because I respond bad to hormonal BC in the past, but this really helps me to advise others against this!!!

twointow83
July 4th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Geesh ladies thanks for telling me this!!! I never had one because I respond bad to hormonal BC in the past, but this really helps me to advise others against this!!!
Yes, please do! I would not suggest it to my worst enemy. BCPs made my AFs so heavy they were bordering on hemorage and I'd take it again a thousand times before ever getting the mirena again.