PDA

View Full Version : sleeping through

Babybeaublue
July 31st, 2015, 05:46 PM
When did your breastfed baby drop the night feeds? My baby is 13 weeks old and is feeding 3 times a night. My ff babies slept through from around 5 months, apart from dd2 who was only a few weeks old when she slept all night. Also people keep telling me bf babies cry more? This one sure does but so did dd4 and she was ff.

Can anyone also give me some tips for feeding when we go out? I'm always in a panic in case I can't find somewhere to go. Any of those cover things you wear any good?

Thanks

XXforhubby
July 31st, 2015, 07:31 PM
Well with my DS1 he never slept through the night until he was 2.5 years! Apart from that, DS1 began to sleep 5 hours straight (consistently) at around 8-9 months [emoji20].

My DS2 is a much better sleeper and began to sleep 5 hours straight at around 12 weeks. I think with both boys they nursed two times in the middle of the night up until they were both around 10-12 months. Then only once in the middle of the night until they started to wean themselves around 17-18 months. I nursed them both until they weaned at 20 months.

Breastfed babies do cry a bit more because they burn through the breastmilk faster and need to eat more. As far as when going out, I loved my hooter hiders nursing cover but am more of a fan of the Honest Co. Nursing scarf. It is more of a poncho that provides full coverage when babies thrash about [emoji6].

Hang in there! You're doing great!!

[emoji170][emoji577][emoji843][emoji602][emoji170]

Babybeaublue
August 1st, 2015, 10:12 AM
Hooter hiders!!! Lol!! That made me laugh! Thanks for the info x

XXforhubby
August 1st, 2015, 11:31 AM
Hooter hiders!!! Lol!! That made me laugh! Thanks for the info x

I know, right!! It's an apron type of nursing cover. My boys would expose me like nobody's business with it, but I loved it. I prefer the full coverage poncho types and the one from Honest Co. you can wear as an actual scarf too.

[emoji170][emoji577][emoji843][emoji602][emoji170]

atomic sagebrush
August 2nd, 2015, 12:59 PM
My babies have been all over the map with sleeping thru the night. Never before 6 months though. The breastmilk just gets digested faster (which is good really but they do tend to wake up a bit more)

I don't think BF babies cry any more than any other babies. I had 3 very good BF babies, one so-so baby, and one hellion LOL and all BF.

atomic sagebrush
August 2nd, 2015, 01:01 PM
Mine would never go under the covers but usually if I was wearing a baggy shirt I could pull it down to cover up everything just fine.

atomic sagebrush
August 2nd, 2015, 01:08 PM
^^I have only ever had a comment in 23 years of nursing and it was in an emergency room. I wasn't paying attention to how well I was covered because I was tucked away in a corner where no one could even see me and also in a flat panic because my child was terribly ill. But she would never have seen me anyway if she hadn't walked by to make a cell phone call. I think there are just some people in the world who are looking for a fight and usually you never happen to run into them. I have nursed in lots of other more exposed places without a cover and never had a comment or even a look. Just bad luck to run into a butthead just at the wrong moment. But, they did put me ahead of the other people waiting after that happened so it's all good. :)

Mrs_Incredible
August 2nd, 2015, 08:31 PM
I think bf babies are more easily comforted (in my experience!) because a quick nurse always settled mine! DD (9 months this week) has been my best sleeper at night, giving me a good 5-8 hour stretch from around 8 weeks, regularly enough to make me feel human. However she doesn't nap during the day unless we're out and she sleeps in her carseat, or when she's feeding she will happily sleep in my arms for hours but if I move she's awake instantly ;) which is great when dh is home as i get the odd nap! When I'm out i wear a vest top to pull down and a top over which i pull up, full coverage and i drape a muslin cloth over my chest for a bit more coverage until she's latched on and content. Not covering her head, just the top of my breast as i just feel more confident knowing no one could possibly be offended as I'm being discreet and its their problem if they have an issue!! Good luck and enjoy, its truly a wonderful experience. Xx

Babybeaublue
August 3rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
Mrs I - I can't believe she is almost 9 months! Where has the time gone??
My LO cries (screams) when she is tired, not hungry; even if she has just woken up, if she has only been asleep a short time she cries hard. Luckily she is great at night, goes straight back to sleep after a feed.

Mrs_Incredible
August 6th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I know babybeaublue! Time is passing too quickly. How are you doing!? Xx

Babybeaublue
August 6th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I'm ok, although I have never been as anxious with a baby in my life as I am with this one! I get a bit stressed in case she needs fed when we are out so I'm barely going anywhere, or else I try to shoot out the door as soon as she feeds and then head back home asap. Not great but I'm hoping to get over it.

Mrs_Incredible
August 6th, 2015, 04:39 PM
It'll get easier! I'm embracing becoming a hermit when i can be!! Juggling a few kids plus a baby, man it takes an age to get everyone ready to get out the door in the first place, is it really worth it!?!! By that time the baby is hungry again, especially when feeding on demand. Chillax when you can mama ;) xx (are you on fb, or did i ask that before lol, baby brain, I don't bump into you much now on threads as I'm not on as much)

Babybeaublue
August 7th, 2015, 02:10 PM
My cousin found out yesterday her baby girl who was due to be born (induced) next Thurs has died. I'm so heartbroken thinking of that little soul. She is in hospital now waiting to give birth. Horrendous.

Mrs_Incredible
August 7th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I just replied on the other thread, i can't imagine the pain in their hearts, and the overwhelming grief they are feeling right now. Hugs to you all xx

atomic sagebrush
August 7th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Oh no I'm so terribly sorry to hear that. :( Prayers to the family.