PDA

View Full Version : Acupuncture for secondary unexplained infertility anyone?

HealthyGirl
August 17th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Has anyone done acupuncture for infertility ?

I did one session a couple of days ago since I don't think there is any harm in it.
However the acupuncturist recommended me these herbs pills ( Chinese) at the end of the session.
I bought them just to research it but I feel weird about mixing unknown herbs while I'm taking clomid.
They are these little pills and the instructions say to take 20 a day! When you look at the back of the box pill it has about 10 names of weird herb names on it.

Any thoughts is appreciated.

Thanks

XXforhubby
August 17th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I did acupuncture only for two months and three cycles. The place I went to, POCA, had me come twice a week and did not offer herbs. I believe it worked for me to conceive. I saw dramatic improvement in my cycles and ovulation time. It could have also had something to do with DS weaning himself too, but I believe the acupuncture has the biggest effect. I was able to see cycle improvement before DS2 dramatically reduced feedings.

POCA is a community based acupuncture facility that has sites all over the U.S. Their philosophy is to make acupuncture accessible for all people and they only charge what you can afford based on a sliding scale from $15-25 per session with no judgement. The acupuncturists are all educated and highly trained. If you live in the U.S., here is a link to search for a clinic in your area.

https://www.pocacoop.com/clinics/

I would be hesitant to take any of the herbs since they are not FDA regulated or approved at the bare minimum from Pharmacopoeia.

You can always PM me if you have more specific or detailed questions!

GL to you!!

[emoji170][emoji577][emoji843][emoji602][emoji170]

djmommy
August 17th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Hi Healthygirl! I don't know that I would mix any type of herbs while you will be taking clomid. Did you mention that to the acupuncturist or your RE?

atomic sagebrush
August 17th, 2015, 11:21 AM
I will tell you with extreme emphatic-ness (that's a word, right?) DO NOT take Chinese medicine. I have investigated many of these "little tablets" handed out and found that there are ingredients in them that can sway blue, are dangerous, wreak havoc with the cycle, and will interact negatively with the Clomid or other fertilty medication. (and that's if they aren't contaminated with actual toxins which sometimes they are.)

"Chinese medicine" was largely invented by the leaders of the Chinese Communist party as something they could market to outsiders - they went back thru old herb books that no one even used in their country and came up with all this crap to sell to people. Acupuncture has been studied and seems to help or at least not hurt, but most of the herbs have not been studied at all.

If you list the herbs I'll be happy to point out what they actually do.

HealthyGirl
August 17th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks xxforhubby.
My insurance covers 10 visits per year so I'm just gonna go to this clinic close to my house.

Atomic thanks for scaring the shit out of me. I wasn't gonna take them and now after reading your comment I definitely won't.

Djmommy he knew I'm taking clomid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
August 18th, 2015, 12:23 PM
LOL sorry!! Wasn't trying to scare anyone, just that I see the end results with people who take the pills and have lots of trouble with them. Plus the history of contaminants in the herbs is pretty big deal. :)

I find that many of the herbalists do not take the drug interactions very seriously and hand out the herbs even when they may be contraindicated (I see this quite a lot with thyroid patients)

Wishing you the best of luck and hoping the acupuncture does the trick.

HealthyGirl
August 18th, 2015, 01:08 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/18/4392e1336e00e949b7add379a8fe59d9.jpg

I attached a pic of the box. Not super clear to read.

djmommy
August 18th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I think it is a good idea not to take it! Good Luck girl!! My FX are crossed for you!

atomic sagebrush
August 18th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Several of the herbs listed are the oposite of blood thinners and may actually cause your blood to clot too easily which could be bad on Clomid/Femara as that may cause your blood to clot easier too. They are also supposed to cause your blood vessels to relax which may give you lower than normal blood pressure. If you believe in any of it the same thing can be accomplished by hot baths and eating a little garlic/hot pepper in foods (in DIETARY amounts)

1)White peony root may actually help sway pink but safety not established and def. not tested with Femara/Clomid. May mess up cycle similar to how vitex does because it does a similar thing.
2)nut sedge probably does nothing but untested for safety
3)eucommia supposedly prevents miscarriage untested for safety
4)lovage root listed as unsafe for pregnant women (and we do not know how long these things take to leave the body)
5)teasel root supposedly prevents bleeding in early pregnancy untested for safety
6)Skullcap, lowers blood pressure and untested
7)Mugwort safe in small amounts but in high doses contains high amounts of thujone which is toxic and is supposed to be avoided by pregnant women (and again we don't know how long these effects might last)
8)Angelica root - may cause miscarriage and is not supposed to be used by women planning a pregnancy. A blood thinner but I do not know if there is enough in there to counter the other things which may cause blood to clot more easily.
9)Figwort probably does nothing and not tested

atomic sagebrush
August 18th, 2015, 04:28 PM
^^^ and we also do not know that's really what is even in there, you understand. When herbal medicines were tested many of them had little to nothing of what was supposed to be in them and were filled up with other herbs or fillers that may be harmful or toxic.

HealthyGirl
August 18th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to list all of these.