PDA

View Full Version : Progesterone ???

HealthyGirl
August 20th, 2015, 08:36 PM
where do I get progesterone and what part of the cycle do you use it?

I'm still waiting on my RE to get back to me but help can't think if I'm deficient in progesterone.

I have most symptoms associated with progesterone deficiency ,
Have been diagnosed with severe vit D deficiency and had a chemical last month.

Does this warrant the use of progesterone?
Will it be harmful to use if I'm not low in progesterone?

I've done progesterone testing two times at cd21 and my levels were 18 once and 19 the other time.

I don't want to self diagnose myself but can't stop thinking if I am deficient.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

atomic sagebrush
August 21st, 2015, 07:49 AM
What symptoms? Do you even have a short luteal phase (and I mean short short, not 10-12 days)

A chemical doesn't mean you're deficient in progesterone. Usually a chemical is just a pregnancy that wasn't working out for some reason and so your body just declines to continue with it. Your body can sense things like this sometimes.

Fewer and fewer doctors are even using progesterone any more. It has been shown in studies that it does not improve the chances to get and stay pregnant and it is basically a placebo for most people. It's also messy, expensive, a huge pain in the butt to use, causes major symptoms for people, and it may extend the length of a pregnancy that was chromosomally abnormal and destined to end.

HealthyGirl
August 21st, 2015, 09:53 AM
My luteal phase isn't short.
As far symptoms I have hot flashes at night ( I know clomid causes it but I've been having it even when I'm not on clomid), brain fogginess, irritability, lack of libido, migraines, menstrual cramps that seem to be getting worse.
I know a lot of other things may cause this.

As far as using the progesterone cream, do you use it after ovulation for 2 weeks? Or for longer?
I know there are pills, suppositories and creams. I'm asking about creams since that's what I ordered.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
August 22nd, 2015, 05:46 PM
If your luteal phase isn't short, you don't have low progesterone. Clomid is the best cure for low progesterone anyway.

ARe you talking about over the counter prog cream?? I do not recommend that for anyone. It isn't enough to sustain a pregnancy (it's meant for women after menopause) and you would have to use it thru the entire first trimester of pregnancy.

HealthyGirl
August 23rd, 2015, 11:50 AM
My doctor ended up prescribing me vaginal pills.
I guess I don't really need it since my luteal phase isn't short.

Would it be harmful to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
August 23rd, 2015, 02:28 PM
a lot of doctors just give it out as a "just in case" kind of thing.

It isn't harmful to use, just doesn't do anything. Some people have some side effects that are unpleasant. As long as you get it from your doctor and be sure you take a pregnancy test before stopping it, it is ok.