PDA

View Full Version : Clomid vs. Femara

twointow83
August 23rd, 2015, 08:58 AM
Both increase egg quality, right??? This is my #1 purpose of taking fertility meds so it's important. Does one work better than the other fertility and sway wise? For any of you who paid for femara out of pocket (ins wouldn't/won't cover it) how much did it cost you? Is the risk/chance of mutiples higher with femara (I know a woman who had trips on femara is why I ask)? Is femara in the same category as clomid? In other words, if you have run out of time on clomid, can you take femara or are they too similar? I am trying to figure out in I switch next cycle, or the following am I "on a clock" with limited time because I took clomid or if I would still have some time to TTC on Femara... If that makes sense. I have PCOS so I don't want to give clomid too much time to whack out my hormones, and further elevate my T levels, so I am thinking of asking my doctor about switching if we didn't conceive this cycle, or maybe if we don't conceive next cycle, so ANY info you can provide (including first-hand experience, side effects, number of eggs per cycle/babies you had, etc.) would be very much appreciated.

atomic sagebrush
August 23rd, 2015, 02:57 PM
No, they don't increase egg quality necessarily and some people Clomid especially can worsen it.

Femara is better for conception and in one study seemed more "pink" than Clomid.

Supposedly Femara is not as bad for multiples as Clomid but can still up odds a bit.

No you'd need to take some time off before restarting with Femara.

twointow83
August 23rd, 2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks :) Can you explain the worsening egg quality thing? Egg quality and long cycles are why I am on it to begin with... Don't want it if it's going to do the opposite...

atomic sagebrush
August 25th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Clomid can raise FSH so if you already have high FSH (or borderline) it can push FSH levels up so far egg quality is affected negatively.

If you have normal FSH then this isn't a concern.

twointow83
August 25th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Clomid can raise FSH so if you already have high FSH (or borderline) it can push FSH levels up so far egg quality is affected negatively.

If you have normal FSH then this isn't a concern.

My doc has checked my FSH several times over the last several years and it has always been good. It's been a couple years since my last test but I think my FSH is fine still :D